Votes: 107 41.5%
  • 56 or larger

Votes: 13 5.0%

• Total voters

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Watching these results originally made me wonder, "Then why the heck do so many manufacturers feel the need for a 60+ RG monster in their lineup?"

Then... I thought deeper...... I'm thinking BOTL members are NOT your typical cigar smoker. We're the fringes...... the total cigar nerds! It's not a sampling of the American cigar consumer... it's a sampling of a select group of uber-cigar-geeks. :)

Using beer as a similar example... if we took a poll on a beer forum and companies decided to market just to the total beer nerds... Bud Light and Coors Light would disappear from shelves overnight! Yet...... those are the top two selling beers in America.

Anyway..... interesting poll. We know where us nerds lie when it comes to cigar RG...
Precisely. Look at the AR market. People in the know buy from quality makers, with quality features. However, they are not the average market. The mass of the market is just a normal guy who wants to pick up an AR from his local gun shop... hence why companies like Bushmaster and Rock River can thrive

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Precisely. Look at the AR market. People in the know buy from quality makers, with quality features. However, they are not the average market. The mass of the market is just a normal guy who wants to pick up an AR from his local gun shop... hence why companies like Bushmaster and Rock River can thrive
Spot on! It's all about what's trendy, cheap and easily available. I wouldn't smoke most things on the Monster or Jam deals, they typically are lower end large ring gauge gars.

Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy the occasional quality larger ring gauge, you can get tons of flavors out of the thicker cigars! Just most of the time I reach for under 48gauge cigars.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Actualy, I prefer Lonsdales, Coronas and PC's. Robusto is about as big as I like to go in terms of RG. Anything larger is uncomfortable.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I used to have rg preferences, now I just like a good cigar. Prefer a non-piramide to piramide, though.

Some of my favorites are CoLa and Monte Sublime - two widely different rgs. Reyes and BHK 54, also very different.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Just to add a little fuel to this fire, I think these breakdowns are a bit uneven. Below 48 is generally going to include 38-48. 50-54 is a much smaller range, and 56+ is generally only up to 60, also a much smaller range (I know there are some 62+ smokes but I think everyone, even casual cigar smokers regard those as gimmicks).

If the breakdown was 38-42 and 42-48, I think the results would be pretty even between the 3 smaller categories.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Well you could break that lower category into 20 different ones and it would sill average more, per RG, than the larger category...
True, 56+ seems to be the big loser here. I don't reach for the 56+ but there are certainly a few 6x60s I've enjoyed.

I was really just making my case for 5x50, my personal favorite. :)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
True, 56+ seems to be the big loser here. I don't reach for the 56+ but there are certainly a few 6x60s I've enjoyed.

I was really just making my case for 5x50, my personal favorite. :)
Understand your point, yet the point we were trying to prove was: What do people like the most: bigger rgs (56+) or anything below that? Yeah, we are a bit unfair about 50rg or 48rg but we could be more specific in another poll.

BTW: THANKS GUYS FOR VOTING!!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm pretty much an under 50 RG guy. I love a corona gorda, corona, robusto, or lancero, or anything in between. But a great cigar in any other vitola is still a great cigar.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I prefer 48 and lower, with a 5x42 PC being my favorite size, by a long shot. But, I'm also not one to turn up my nose at a good cigar. If there is a specific blend that ONLY comes in a large rg, I will try it, but it's usually just to give it a try. Smoking some cigar that is only 4/64th off of a full inch in diameter isn't what I call an enjoyable experience, usually, there have been exceptions.

Let's put it this way, I don't like sticking something in my mouth twice the size of a .50bmg round...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
46-50 coronas and robustos are what i usually try first when testing out a new brand/blend. But I have no problem smoking larger RG especially if it's a one-size or LE that only comes in the bigger format. If i love a blend, I try all sizes and sometimes will prefer larger RG. the brick house Mighty Mighty might be my favorite format in that blend for example. I think that places like BOTL are filed with guys that smoke daily, and if you do, you probably don't want to devote 1.5-2 hours per stick, so smaller formats are more appreciated. The big ring fad (now many years old) isn't being driving by hard core smokers/enthusiasts imho.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I prefer 48 and lower, with a 5x42 PC being my favorite size, by a long shot. But, I'm also not one to turn up my nose at a good cigar. If there is a specific blend that ONLY comes in a large rg, I will try it, but it's usually just to give it a try. Smoking some cigar that is only 4/64th off of a full inch in diameter isn't what I call an enjoyable experience, usually, there have been exceptions.

Let's put it this way, I don't like sticking something in my mouth twice the size of a .50bmg round...
Lol, my buddy said it was like smoking a broomstick.