What's new

What should I buy?

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Now that I'm finding what all is available its almost an overload of choices, what should I try next? This is what I've gotten recently:

Box of Fonseca Delicias
Box of Montesino No. 1's
5 Vegas Gold Churchills
1 Acid Kupa Kupa

I've previously had a Romeo y Julieta No 2 (cuban, never tried the dominican counterpart) and remember liking it quite a bit. I am also quite fond of these Fonsecas. The Vegas Gold were a cheap buy on cigarbid so I have no idea what to expect when they get here. I haven't had any Acid cigars before but I hear alot about them so I went to the local store today and picked one up... of course I didn't have time tonight to sit down and enjoy it so I guess I'll try it later.

I have always wanted to try a Cohiba but I hate to drop that kinda money on a box of Siglo IV's (which seem to come highly recommended). If I can find enough people I know to split up a box I'll probably end up ordering it, but I still have 15 to divide up. What are some thoughts on Cohiba? An overpriced brand name, or a really good cigar?

What are Fonsecas considered strength-wise? At least then I can judge if I would better like more mild or stronger cigars.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You should get a knife and cut that Kupa Kupa up and watch it blow away in the wind....

But hey if you like em smoke em just dont keep them in the same humi as your other sticks

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I dunno about the fonsecas, but what really has helped me was trying a lot of singles (thanks to all the bros who sent me stuff to try) if you don't know if the Fonsecas are strong or not, smoke some different things, you should be able to tell pretty quickly what's the same and what's different about them, and I guarantee you'll be able to tell what kind of strength they are. So yeah, my suggestion I guess breaks down to. . . smoke more cigars!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
LMAO at tobby!! If you don't follow Clay's advice about the Kupa Kupa, don't put it in your humi with your other cigars. Flavored cigars will affect your other cigars adversely.

As to what to buy, if you like the Fonseca's, you might try Rafael Gonzales Coronas Extras. The Fonseca's are on the mild side of the spectrum, and the Rafael Gonzales are of a similar strength. I happen to like these alot, and they are relatively cheap also. Cohibas are, imo, great, but you might feel differently. From what I've read about peoples thoughts on Cohiba, it's either love em or hate em. I love em, but they're not my favorite, and for some reason I haven't brought myself to drop that much coin on many cohibas. Don't know why.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Oops didn't see your last line. Also, how much are you willing to spend? I have found that for full bodied cigars, I really like the Partagas Shorts or the Trini Reyes (medium-to-full) as an affordable daily smoke. I don't really care for mild cigars....so no suggestion on this end of the spectrum.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
pharmgator said:
Oops didn't see your last line. Also, how much are you willing to spend? I have found that for full bodied cigars, I really like the Partagas Shorts or the Trini Reyes (medium-to-full) as an affordable daily smoke. I don't really care for mild cigars....so no suggestion on this end of the spectrum.
The cost would all depend. Generally I like to stick around $5/cigar when I'm buying a box as a max. Cohiba's are around $13/cigar by the box but then again if it wasnt for a daily smoker then I'm fine with that. I would have to say somewhere around $15/cigar (sometimes up to $20) would be my absolute max because anymore than that and I would feel like its a waste.

The only Partagas cigars I have had were the Chico's which I wasn't that fond of, but then again, for that price I guess I shouldnt expect much besides stronger swisher sweets.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The only Partagas cigars I have had were the Chico's which I wasn't that fond of, but then again, for that price I guess I shouldnt expect much besides stronger swisher sweets.
I can think of many great quality $5 cigars: Partagas Shorts, Trini Reyes, Diplomaticos #4, Sancho Panza Bachilleres and non-plus, etc.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I assume you're talking NC Monty's, not ISOM's. In that case, I never met a Monty that I liked. If you haven't tried any Fuentes yet, I'd recommend giving them a shot. I'd start with either an 8-5-8 or one of the Chateau Fuente line (Royal Salute, Double Chateau, Cuban Belicoso or Chateau), in the wrapper and size of your preference.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'll have to try some of them, I guess I need to find a site that sells individual cuban cigars because my current two vendors only sell by the box. Heres a possibly obvious question: are ISOM's really THAT much better, or are most dominican, or nicaraguan, or whatever cigars (in the same class/price range) comparable? For example, I've heard good about CAO, but they don't even sell a ISOM version. I can go down to the local B&M and I have access to quite a selection of cigars, obviously with a fair markup but at least their singles to try it out. If I want to drive 30 minutes theres another store that has three walkin humidors the size of the one that this local store has.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
vperlman said:
I assume you're talking NC Monty's, not ISOM's. In that case, I never met a Monty that I liked. If you haven't tried any Fuentes yet, I'd recommend giving them a shot. I'd start with either an 8-5-8 or one of the Chateau Fuente line (Royal Salute, Double Chateau, Cuban Belicoso or Chateau), in the wrapper and size of your preference.
Correct, the Montesino's I just bought were off a promotion JR Cigar was having. I'll add Fuentes to the to-try list.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
pdonlin said:
I'll have to try some of them, I guess I need to find a site that sells individual cuban cigars because my current two vendors only sell by the box. Heres a possibly obvious question: are ISOM's really THAT much better, or are most dominican, or nicaraguan, or whatever cigars (in the same class/price range) comparable? For example, I've heard good about CAO, but they don't even sell a ISOM version. I can go down to the local B&M and I have access to quite a selection of cigars, obviously with a fair markup but at least their singles to try it out. If I want to drive 30 minutes theres another store that has three walkin humidors the size of the one that this local store has.
To my tastes there are no comparisons between NC and Cuban cigars.

Just take your time and be patient about stocking up on Cubans because your tastes may change.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
To my tastes there are no comparisons between NC and Cuban cigars.
Unless you are comparing the differences - I guess that would be contrasting. Anyway, there are relatively few NC that I would place in the same ballpark as cubans IMO.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I think taste is somewhat relative to disposable income...and that's just reality. There are many fantastic cigars out there, some are aquirable, some are not...that depends on you. Once you find a taste you like, there are usually alot of cigars that fall under that taste..whether that is creamy, strong, spicy etc etc. Now many cuban cigars are better than the NC counterparts, but are they affordable? I love Padron 2K's, because at about 75 bucks a box...they're a great cigar for 3 bucks a pop. If I made more money I would probably smoke better cigars, because imo there are better cigars out there. I think it's all in what you can afford and how often you smoke. If you smoke once a week or less, you can probably afford top notch smokes. It's really all relative....I think cigars and what kind you should smoke is more than just a cigar vs. cigar argument.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Point well taken MichiganM. I guess I should have specified at least a target price range originally. I usually smoke once a week, sometimes less often, rarely a little more often, so paying more for the cigars does not bother me as much. However, it is nice to have the $3 cigars around because when company is over I don't want to be handing out a couple $10 cigars, most company would appreciate either just as much.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Are cuban cigars that much better? Yes, imo. Not to say there aren't good n/c cigars, but I just find there to be a better taste and finish with most cuban cigars of non's. JMHO

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If price isn't an issue then you are really open to a whole world of cigars. Some of the finer ISOM cigars that range in the creamy side are Sancho Panza and Por Larranaga. Some creamier cigars in the NC side are CAO Gold, Macanudo, Ashton Regular Line....etc. There are quite a few out there, but I know Macanudo has been a stable mild, creamy cigar for years. You might wanna try one of those...not really my kinda cigar but definitely a quality cigar in that range of flavor. Nothing too heavy and not a harsh aftertaste. I've only had 1 though...a Duke of Wellington I believe and it was a long time ago. I'm not the foremost expert on mild cigars, but if you look around here and the rest of the internet I think you'll find that these brands definitely fall under that category. Other members will have suggestions as well.

Edit: I have a Sancho Panza Beli from 02 in my humi from a trade that I'll light up soon. I'll let you know how that goes. Sancho Panza is one of the lower priced ISOM lines from what I've seen. Por Larranaga is pretty cheap too.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
tubaman said:
Are cuban cigars that much better? Yes, imo. Not to say there aren't good n/c cigars, but I just find there to be a better taste and finish with most cuban cigars of non's. JMHO
I agree also, but there are people who believe that ISOM's are tasteless. Each individuals palette is different.