What's new

What temperature would you rather have ?

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
My Edgestar runs a bit on the cold side. It stays at about 61 or 62 with the dial turned all the way to warm. The room temp at my apartment is at 71-73 (damn radiator)

Low 60s or Low 70s

i know an ETC could solve my problem, but from my LIMITED understanding of electronics, its bad to turn on and off something over and over due to thermal expansion in the joints and what not. Then throw the already low service life of an Edgestar on top, it makes me feel uneasy.

That being said; would you rather have your cigars sitting on the cold side or the warm side?

Will keeping them at this temperature cause a loss of flavor or decreased aging effect?

Sorry if this is a noob question, I searched the forum and mostly found threads covering temps that are too high, not too low.

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Its really up to you from what I've been taught about storage is yes 65 to 70 degrees F is the "perfect" temperature storing them in lesser temps hinders aging them as long as your humidity is fine your cigars should be fine.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
add one more to the "cool" club.

my suspicion is that shortly Jim will be chiming in with a dissertation on the benefits of various temperatures and their impacts on long-term aging. that said, I'm not much of a dissertation guy (as evidenced by my preference to use two spaces after the end of a sentence), so for your benefit, here is the clif notes version:

when storing for long term use, the cooler the better. some long term storage enthusiasts actually drop their temps into the 50s.
for near term storing, keeping it a bit cool would be better than a bit warm - mostly because of beetles which (knock on wood) aren't a high probability issue. that said, if you keep them cool, it may be beneficial to move whatever cigar you want to smoke into a desktop at room temp, maybe an hour or two before smoking, to slowly warm the cigar back up to prevent damage to the cigar while smoking, caused by the rapid temperature change from being cold to being on fire.

hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
add one more to the "cool" club.

my suspicion is that shortly Jim will be chiming in with a dissertation on the benefits of various temperatures and their impacts on long-term aging. that said, I'm not much of a dissertation guy (as evidenced by my preference to use two spaces after the end of a sentence), so for your benefit, here is the clif notes version:

when storing for long term use, the cooler the better. some long term storage enthusiasts actually drop their temps into the 50s.
for near term storing, keeping it a bit cool would be better than a bit warm - mostly because of beetles which (knock on wood) aren't a high probability issue. that said, if you keep them cool, it may be beneficial to move whatever cigar you want to smoke into a desktop at room temp, maybe an hour or two before smoking, to slowly warm the cigar back up to prevent damage to the cigar while smoking, caused by the rapid temperature change from being cold to being on fire.

hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Wow...that was exactly what I was looking for. Every question I had, even questions I had yet to ask were answered!

I figured that keeping them at the colder end of the spectrum was a better idea than warmer, but this just solidified my reasoning. It’s good to know that colder is also better for aging, for some crazy reason I was thinking a bit warmer would be better.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0