What's new

What the...? Salty cigars?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So I pulled a Perdomo 10th Anny Maduro out of the coolidor that has been sitting there for a year or so... it tasted Salty when I licked my lips. I couldn't believe it, so I smoked another one a couple days later and sure enough...

What's up with that? They've been in cello, in the box. Humidity and Temp have been constant. Any thoughts?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
A Shark must have came by and got sea water all over them! j/k.
That sucks, man! Is the sweetness still there? Sweet/Salty is great, but not for a cigar... I hope if there are others in the box that they can be saved...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rolled on the sweaty thighs of an 18 year old virgin.... No? A few years ago I got a couple sticks from J&R Cigar that were salty. On the lips and in the smoke. Weirdest thing ever.

Maybe they were dunked in the ocean on their voyage across the Caribbean?

Dennis

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Not sure about the Perdomo, but a lot of Cubans are quite salty when they're young (sometimes after as well). I don't dislike it, as long as there are complimenting flavors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the Perdomo, but a lot of Cubans are quite salty when they're young (sometimes after as well). I don't dislike it, as long as there are complimenting flavors.
Yep the Monte Petit Edmundo and RyJ Short Churchills are both salty smokes, at least at the start. I actually quite like it - adds interest to the smoke.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought a 5 pack of some really cheap cigars. Cu-avana maduro. Those things are like smoking a pretzel stick, look allot like one to. Only smoke I've had like that though.

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Interesting you bring this up.

Doug B loves Hoyo de Monterrey - Le Hoyo Des Dieux and over the last year or so he has gifted/bombed me a couple. After each one was smoked I always commented how salty it tasted. Really quite pronounced and they were all not from the same cab.

Anyone have a similar experience with Le Hoyo Des Dieux?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not sure about the perdomo but if you ever smoked a Henry clay breva those are super salty and earthy just a ton of salt and dirt. I like it in occasion but definitely something you wanna know you're getting into.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Cuba Aliados always seemed really salty to me... Not in a good way either. I've also found some Cuban cigars that way as well, but in those it was good and complimented the other flavors.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be sweat from the rollers...... Gross...
Fwiw, in the 1920's & 1930's the machine made cigar companies ran a HUGE advertising campaigning about the "health risks" of worker sweat and spit in handmade cigars and why everyone should smoke machine made cigars untainted by human hands. It actually made a real dent in handmade sales... but then the reality of how disgusting some of the machines were got out and the campaigned died.

Today, I think both the machine made and handmade manufacturers are extremely conscious of keeping their operations sanitary.

I can tell you one thing, we go through a whole lot of anti-bacterial soap in a handmade cigar factory - it is like running a restaurant, cleanliness is critical.

Keep in mind that guys like me smoke the exact same cigars we sell, so we pay very close attention to anything health and welfare related - it is one of the things I like most about the premium handmade cigar business, all the execs and owners are fanatical consumers of their products - we love cigars too!

BR,

Steve Saka
CEO, DE

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I went through a period last year where every cigar I smoked tasted salty. Looked all over for an explanation and found one that said it was an indicator of dehydration and even though you may not be dehydrated at the time, you recently were, and your taste buds are off and need to adjust. A couple days later after some intentional extra water, I was fine.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reinado Grand Empire Reserve started a little salty. Went away fairly quickly though.

Incredible smoke BTW.