What's new

What to do in DC?

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
OK, I'm going to be in DC from July 5th through the 11th or 12th with the ENTIRE family. That means the parents, both brothers and sister in laws, the niece, an aunt and uncle, and one of my cousins. We're finalizing all the plans. Where do we "have" to go. We're planning on the Senate, White House (already talked with our senator), national archives, Air and Space Museum, Arlington National Cemetery and some other stuff. We're thinking about taking a day to go to Gettysburg or maybe another battleground, but we're not sure. The 5th and I think the 11th are blown days because of travel. That leaves the 6th-10th, 5 days for sight seeing.

Throw out your suggestions.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I'll have to think about this. You already hit most of the good museums. Baltimore Inner Harbour is pretty nice for a day trip. Annapolis (MD capitol) is very nice but won't take long to visit. I'm sure others will have better ideas.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One thing you might want to try is the spy museum. There is some pretty cool stuff from the cold war era in there that is alot of fun to see. Plus theres alway the smithsonian and depending on the weather there stuff to do on the Potomac river.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Air & Space Museum also has an annex near Dulles, chock full of other aircraft, including the space shuttle Enterprise. I'm also a fan of the Museum of Natural History...everything from dinosaurs to the Hope Diamond.

If you have time for a leisurely cigar and drink, Shelley's Back Room is the place to go, as far as I'm concerned...and it's just around the corner from Draper's.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
National Zoo is pretty good. Free admission for everyone. Parking might be $10 for the day and can be difficult to find, space is limited. If you can brown bag lunches will save lots of money as well.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Baltimore for sure,
Also I found the Fords theater interesting..
also hit DC china town for some real good food ..:bigeyes:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
There's the Gettysburg Civil War reenactment from the 4th to the 6th of July if you want to go for the day. I have a friend that participates in this every year. It's quite a sight.

You can also visit The Union Cigar Shop downtown while you're there.:innocent::grin:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The Vietnam Memorial is always good for some tears and hugs.

The Aero space and Nat History museums are a must. Have fun.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
My dad is a vet. When we went to the Vietnam Memorial a few years back, his section of the wall was having the new lights and stuff installed and he didn't get to see it. He's been back since then, but I'd like to go with him there.

A question on the Metro... My mom is going to be using one of those Rascal-type scooters. Would she be able to use that and get around on the metro? She doesn't have to use it, but going around for 5 days might end up being too much for. We'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'll let some of you guys know what the schedule looks like when we get it settled. I'm sure I'll be able to find an evening to get together, but you never know when the family's around.

BTW, the youngest amung us, my cousin, is graduating high school, but I think hookers and blow wouldn't go well on a family vacation. It would make it memorable, though. Well at least for anyone not on the blow.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
One important thing about the Metro, no eating or drinking! you can be fined. You can get Metro passes online, if that helps save time and keep things organized.

Definitely check out the Smithsonian Museums, the Botanical Gardens, Museum of Natural History, and even the Postal Museum. Don't forget the Monuments.

I'll be down for a long weekend starting the 10th

Last edited: