What's new

What to do with a hard cigar?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my newest brothers!
Super Super new to cigar smoking.
Bought this tonight:
Brand new, untouched My Father Limited Edition 2015 5th Anniversary cigar. In it's mini single box.
I opened it and pressed on it and it was hard.
Now I want to smoke this soon, not really interested in saving it. Just want to know if I should or is there a soften up process I should do first?
Any and all feedback is welcomed!
-KD00303_kHInqehPRew_600x450.jpg

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hello my newest brothers!
Super Super new to cigar smoking.
Bought this tonight:
Brand new, untouched My Father Limited Edition 2015 5th Anniversary cigar. In it's mini single box.
I opened it and pressed on it and it was hard.
Now I want to smoke this soon, not really interested in saving it. Just want to know if I should or is there a soften up process I should do first?
Any and all feedback is welcomed!
KD, first off, welcome to the party.

Second of all, if it’s still hard after 4 hours, you should consult your physician.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Third, I’m not trying to correct you here; just trying to help you with terms if your newer to cigars. But, the “mini box” is actually called a coffin.

Fourth, if a cigar is too hard, it means it’s severely under humidified and it needs to rest in a controlled environment (i.e. humidor) for quite a while. It’s not an exact science as to how long it needs to rest because there are many variables to it but rest assured, it too, needs rest.

The reverse is true, too. If it’s a mushy cigar, it’s over humidified and will also needs to rest in the humidor until it gets back down to the desired levels.

Fifth, again, welcome to the party!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
if you got it from a store, where it was in a glass case, then it is likely good to smoke without trying to fix it.. if you are not having it tonight but in the next couple days, keep it in the coffin and (someone correct me if wrong) put that in a plastic bag/tupperware in a cool dark place where the sun won't hit it/temperature will not change drastically.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If the cigar is firm and the draw is tight the heat generated in the first couple of puffs will often loosen the draw. Had that happen to me this afternoon.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Second of all, if it’s still hard after 4 hours, you should consult your physician.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Third, I’m not trying to correct you here; just trying to help you with terms if your newer to cigars. But, the “mini box” is actually called a coffin.

Fourth, if a cigar is too hard, it means it’s severely under humidified and it needs to rest in a controlled environment (i.e. humidor) for quite a while. It’s not an exact science as to how long it needs to rest because there are many variables to it but rest assured, it too, needs rest.

The reverse is true, too. If it’s a mushy cigar, it’s over humidified and will also needs to rest in the humidor until it gets back down to the desired levels.

Sixth, many of us often refer to our cigars as "sticks".

Therefore, the title of this thread could have been "what to do with a hard stick?" :ROFLMAO:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was going to call it a coffin! Wasn't sure...thanks for the heads up...Doc!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with those is that they're a firmly rolled stick. If its been properly humidified, and it doesn't crackle when you squeeze it, it should be good to go! Enjoy, that's a great smoke!
1st time with this brand....
No crackle when squeezed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you got it from a store, where it was in a glass case, then it is likely good to smoke without trying to fix it.. if you are not having it tonight but in the next couple days, keep it in the coffin and (someone correct me if wrong) put that in a plastic bag/tupperware in a cool dark place where the sun won't hit it/temperature will not change drastically.
Got it off some dude from Craigslist who got it for a gift. He doesn't smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will place it in a plastic bag tonight...with the coffin?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yes, keep it iin the coffin. And just in case as I did not specify, in a Ziploc bag. Don't open and close it repeatedly, just leave it until you spoke it hopefully in the next day or two

Edit just saw your post you said you got it from a guy.. Well hopefully he only had it a short while and not out, but you probably should to take a run to a cigar shop and get a boveda pack with 65 of 67% for a few bucks, put just the cigar then in a tupperware for a week or 2, and then smoke it. If the boveda feels like it dries out that means the cigar was dry and had to reabsorb...

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will visit my local cigar shop tomorrow and get right on that.
For tonight I will put in a ziplock.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When you go to the local shop bring it with you, talk to the guy, tell him you are super new and ask him if the cigar is ready to smoke. Then ask him to turn you on to something else you might like and buy a couple of cigars from him. A friend at the local shop is an invaluable asset when trying to learn about cigars.