What's new

What to use for humidification in a super dry/cold climate?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I went to the coolerdor direction a while back for budget reasons. The wife was ok with my cigar budget but not with a large cabinet.

With that being said, I need to figure out a way to keep it properly prepped. It's pretty dry here (Fairbanks, AK) and obviously cold. There are a few other issues. The cooler is not and (according to the Mrs. Legends) will not be stored anywhere visible in the house. The relegates it to a closet. That means there is no suitable plug for a Cigar Oasis to be used. Passive systems are not holding their own. I have two large Diamond Crown humidifiers that are drying out every couple of days. The final issue is that the cooler is almost full. Starting another is not a solution. As the weather warms up (in late April or early May :) ) I'll be able to make a dent in what I have acquired this holiday season. So my space available for a humidifier is limited.

Do I tell her to "suck it up" and let me find a place in the house to keep it? Are Climmax beads worth the hassle? Should I just keep messing with the passive systems? I've been looking at the Cigar Reservoir from Bargain but I'm afraid it will dry out too fast as well. Or am I going to have this problem no matter whether the system is a passive or active one?

One last thing to chew on... During the summer months (up to about the middle of September) keeping things the right % is not a problem. Last summer, I was able to use just the Diamond Crowns and it worked fine. Something about the cold weather outside is making it difficult to keep the % at the preferred level.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
wasch_24 said:
The beads are also very low maintenance.
I vote the beads as well. Mark is right about the foam but at some point in time the coolie will become oversaturated and then you will be hosed + you will become fixated on the hygrometer.

Go for the beads. Easy to use and low maintenance and you can come out of the closet.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
sounds like that cooler does not have a good seal between the lid and base. try some foam between the lid and base to get a better seal.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ron beat me to it. What's the temp/RH in the surrounding area Legends? Temp mainly. If the temp isn't seriously down in the dirt in the closet, I would say you have a seal problem. IF the seal is really poor you are going to have problems no matter what you use.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
What kind of hygrometer are you using? a remote hygrometer with the sensor attached by a wire would work well. put the sensor in the cooler, then close the lid over the wire. Display will be outside showing you whats really going on in the cooler. You can seal the lid shut with duct tape. if the humidity rises, then you know you have a poor seal. My opinion is that with those DC humidifers drying out that fast, you have a poor seal.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm a big fan of the beads, but honestly, if you can't keep the humidity where you want with DCs, I can't see the beads doing a whole lot better. The beads are great for keeping a steady 65% where a passive humidifier like you are talking about may be humidifying TOO MUCH, but I just don't see it working the other way...

Oh yeah, and speaking of the remote hygrometers, if you have a Target around, go see if they have the Oregon Scientific remote thermo/hygros available. $29 or so and you get a nice base unit and a nice remote unit. Mine is pretty much right on.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It gives you one less reason to have to open up the lid. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable I guess! :lol:

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think RonC is correct. If you need to add that much water to any type of humidification device you are losing too much to the outside world. Put some self adhesive foam weather stripping around the seal area of the cooler and see what happens. I will bet that your coolers become much more stable. I am partial to the beads, especially in a coolerdor, they are low maintenance and do an excellent job.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I think the beads are the BEST way to go, and don't find them to be a hassle at all. In fact, since I started using them, I have been able to keep the rh pegged at 64%!

On a side note, I had a DC humidifier that I couldn't get to properly stabilize the rh in my humidor. Don't think it is the humidor's fault, as the beads work great in there.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It may not be pretty but I've quite happy with my coleman coolers, radio shack hygrometers, and beads.

I pop the lids every couple of weeks to restock my desktop humi and check things out.

They work great!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
One more vote for the beads!
I got mine from Viper and my humi and cooler have been keeping perfect RH ever since.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The purists are going to hate this but... Besides the DC humidifiers, there is just a shot glass full of distilled water crefully tucked into a corner.

I'm probably going to buy some beads but right now, I'm looking at my cabinet options. I may just bite the bullet and buy one.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hey man, whatever works ya know? :) Though with that much agua being used to humidify, I still gotta stick by the poor seal root cause theory. If you do get the cabinet, let us know what you go for!