What's new

What variety is Maduro?

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Corojo, criollo, Connecticut sun grown ,Arapiraca, Sumatra, Cameroon, broadleaf, and H2000 are all varieties of tobacco.

Which variety is Maduro...........

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Maduro: The leaf is left on the plant for as long as possible before being harvested. After it is picked, it's allowed to air-dry in barns. The Tabaco usually undergoes a process in which it is treated with heat (and sometimes pressure) to draw out the oils and "Cook" the tobacco. The oils are then allowed to retreat back into the cigar. This process can be repeated several times, each time making the leaf darker.
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It's a particular fermentation process, usually used for wrappers. Some cigar makers will claim a cigar is double maduro, but this usually only denotes an extra dark leaf that might be double fermented. Then some have a double maduro that uses maduro leaves for wrapper and binder, which i think of as a true double maduro. Then there's the Camacho triple maduro (filler, binder, and wrapper). That one interests me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well, don't I feel like a damn noob (cause I am, I know). But here I was thinking I liked the flavor of maduro early in my palate training. Hahaha. Back to the drawing board...

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
@Nacho Daddy

Maduro, just as Oscuro, is a process of leaf fermentation. Not a variety, not a classification nor indentifier. The terms have been used loosely and incorrectly for a long time.

I think this article does a great job explaining it Maduro - The Myth and The Method

Leaf classification in the US used to be based on a numerical system, in Nicaragua it is typically seed varietal/region/priming/grade i.e AA ...afaik

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As other said, it's a process, but it has been used as a color. If you figure in the dying process it could just about be anything. I would say a true maduro would be achieved in the process, not dying and color.