What's new

What was a churchill called before Churchill?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Does anyone know what the size Winston Churchill smoked was called before it was named after him?

An article on CA said that sometimes double corona's are marketed as churchills but churchills are most commonly a different size. But what on earth were they called then?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
According to MRN the RyJ Clemenceau and the Churchill are different blends. I don't have MRN here at work or I could give you some more info. The vitola is Julieta.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Buckwheat said:
According to MRN the RyJ Clemenceau and the Churchill are different blends. I don't have MRN here at work or I could give you some more info. The vitola is Julieta.
While it's true they were/are different blends, Churchill (the person) preferred the size of the Clemenceau. Thus RyJ created and named the Churchill for him.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Ok...so was the Clemenceau not a Julieta then? And if not, why yet another name for the vitola?
Yes it was, and I had the privelage to smoke one from '79. Josuha asked what the name of the size used to be called.

RyJ has 3 churchill-sized cigars according to MRN and to answer your last question:

On the other hand, cigars of the same format receive different commercial names. For example, a 7" x 47 cigar, usually known as Churchill, can be named as Prince of Wales, Coronas Gigantes or Esplendidos depending on whether has it being manufactured by Romeo y Julieta, Bolivar or Cohiba, respectively.
Referenced from Cigar Smoker's FAQ

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Ahh yeah, I should have said vitola instead of size, that would have been more clear. Hmm and maybe somebody should add MRN to the glossary, cause I don't know what that is :)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Addition submitted! :wink:

In the meantime, MRN, is Min Ron Nee. The Pseudonym (do I have that right?) of the Author of the Encyclopaedia of Post Revolution Havana Cigars. :thumbsup: Also known as "the bible". :wink:

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
MRN is Min Ron Nee who is the author of "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars" A must read!!! Good question on the Churchill. It can be confusing.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Speaking of...Anyone not have one and want to get a group buy going? That's the way I've heard you have to get them, right?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Actually Allan, you might want to hold your horses on that for the moment. There is a reprint coming out in the near future. There is a group buy being organized at that...erm...other site you frequent on occasion, but rumor also has it that the book should be available on Amazon.com when the reprint comes out. :dunno: And the cost should be much less expensive than the $100+ we're used to seeing all the time.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Actually Allan, you might want to hold your horses on that for the moment. There is a reprint coming out in the near future. There is a group buy being organized at that...erm...other site you frequent on occasion, but rumor also has it that the book should be available on Amazon.com when the reprint comes out. :dunno: And the cost should be much less expensive than the $100+ we're used to seeing all the time.

What site might that be? You mean that open minded, free thinking, open exchange of ideas site? :gangfire: