What's new

What was your first rifle?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Check pawn shops and/or Gunbroker for a Ruger 10/22 or an old bolt action. I started with an old hand me down Sears bolt action .22. I was gifted a 10/22 as a birthday present one year, but I preferred the Sears gun. That thing is accurate like you wouldn't believe. I still have both.
Not sure if there are any pawn shops in the area (I assume there has to be...) but there are some gun shops. I will have to do a bit of searching I guess.

Any cheaper models to gravitate toward or stay away from?

VirginIslander

This Space For Rent
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Not sure if there are any pawn shops in the area (I assume there has to be...) but there are some gun shops. I will have to do a bit of searching I guess.

Any cheaper models to gravitate toward or stay away from?
My local pawn shop has a coffin for sale...and not one an 'A' goes in. Makes you wonder. "ahh, guess the doctor was wrong about 6 months left. Guess I don't need this anymore...I'll pawn it"

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
My first was a Savage bolt action .22, but bought a Ruger 10/22 within a week later....I just couldn't stand loading one round at a time :grin:

Still have the 10/22.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Stevens bolt action .22 that had been my dad's when he was a boy. He gave it to me for Christmas when I was 10 years old. I still have that rifle and would never part with it. Sadly, I don't have a son to pass it along.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winchester Model 1903 chambered for the Win .22 auto. this was the first civilian semi auto on the market. I got it in 1954 on the death of my grandfather. I kept it until last Christmas (2008) when it became the property of my oldest grandson, aged 11 at the time. I passed it and 600 rounds of ammo. He knows he will be it's caretaker until he passes it to his grandson.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remington Model 66 — the Nylon .22 Long Rifle. I had the Apache Black version. Topped with an inexpensive Weaver scope, it was deadly on tin cans.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four Seasons Country/Nature's Air Conditioned City
Just got my first rifle...my father-in-law "passed down" a Remington 760 GameMaster 30-06 to me today.

I've never been hunting before and mentioned to him I wanted to go this year and he asked me if I had a rifle yet. I told him no but I had been looking at a couple of them at a local sporting goods store. He said he had one that I could use.

Yesterday, we went to the shooting range so I could shoot it and get a feel for it. Turned out, I shot it quite well for someone with no rifle experience.

This morning about 8:30, on his way out to the farm, he dropped by my house with a rifle case in tow and told me I would need to "get acquainted" with my rifle before hunting season. I told him I appreciated him letting me use it, he said "I'm not letting you use it, its yours, I'm giving it to you."

Looks like I'm ready for my first hunting season...can't wait!

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Your father in law sounds like a good guy.:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck with the hunt.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Winchester Model 70 in 30/06. Gave it to a friend who needed it more than me and who had helped me out building a huge shed.:kissforeh

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
First rifle was an Ithaca single shot .22 lever action. Fun little gun. I inherited it from my older brother, and his son inherited it from me. I do have a Henry .22 lever action that is similar, except it is a repeater, which I always longed for with the Ithaca.