What's new

What will happen to the NC manufacturers when the embargo is lifted ?

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say Habanos will not sell there tobacco leafs to competing NC manufacturers which sounds reasonable , so they will have to compete with there own tobacco which explains the move of some manufacturers trying to discover the European and Asian markets .
Whats your opinion?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Oh brother, here comes another wild speculation opinion based thread with "experts" weighing in with their opinion.......

BTW I'm in a very cynical mood this morning.

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh brother, here comes another wild speculation opinion based thread with "experts" weighing in with their opinion.......

BTW I'm in a very cynical mood this morning.
Well , the current administration has allowed the fellow US citizens to travel to Cuba , plus Altadis and Habanos has registered some trade marks in the US to make way toward the US market so I personaly see the lift coming soon , is it really a wild speculation ?

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
The NC's will do great! The quality of smokes coming out of NC countries is amazing as are the blends. Will there be enough ISOM tobacco to sell?

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I don't see where this is going to matter. If anything you'll see the BS Botique blends try hard to take advantage of this. As far as the quality nc's on the market...I'll still be buying them. Not all cc's are better than nc's, atleast in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NCs will be just fine. Regardless of CCs being on the shelf folks will still smoke mid/high end Tat, Fuente, Ashton, Liga Privada, etc. Just my opinion,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I hope it never gets lifted for the negative effect it would have on Habanos...
This is my biggest worry that you'll see habanos start changing to american market trends, would kill me if boli, or partagas making a 60rg and putting a Maduro wrapper on everything. This is ofcourse after all the lawsuits have been settled.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think they'll still sell quite well. They've already worked out their business model and pricing based including the US market. If the embargo is lifted and CC's start selling in the US, supply and demand will drive prices through the roof (which is one reason I'd rather not see it lifted, politics aside). The quality NC brands IMO will be priced much more competitively than the CC's that hit the market.

I also worry about the quality control at Habanos if they try to increase production to keep up with the added demand that a US market would provide.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I don't know if the title of the thread is suggesting that non-Cuban tobacco is sub-par or not but the reality is there probably isn't that many regular cigar smokers who don't already buy Cuban cigars. Look at all the members here who regularly post in the look at me thread for Habano's or how many new guys get easily talked into buying the contraband. Would it be safe to say that 60% of all regular cigar smokers have the ability right now to get a box of Cubans? Maybe even higher?

I think it's safe to assume that there won't be the tremendous drain on Cuban cigars like everyone is speculating.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I think you will see a huge drop in CC quality for the first 3-5 years. then the market will stabilize when all the frat boys realize that CCs are just like any other stick. Don’t get me wrong, I have only had 3 Cubans in my life, loved them. But these NCs have a great flavor and construction.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I don't know if the title of the thread is suggesting that non-Cuban tobacco is sub-par or not but the reality is there probably isn't that many regular cigar smokers who don't already buy Cuban cigars. Look at all the members here who regularly post in the look at me thread for Habano's or how many new guys get easily talked into buying the contraband. Would it be safe to say that 60% of all regular cigar smokers have the ability right now to get a box of Cubans? Maybe even higher?

I think it's safe to assume that there won't be the tremendous drain on Cuban cigars like everyone is speculating.
The internet cigar community and the non-internet cigar community are very, very different places.

As for the effect it would have on Habanos, I'm not so much worried how it would effect the blends and vitolas produced (they're already royally screwing that pooch... RyJ WIDE Churchill, Trini SHORT Robo-t, Monte EL next year with a 55 ring gauge, etc.), it is more production numbers skyrocketing that worries me, since quality control on large productions, like the Monte 2 and 4 can already be spotty as is... Imagine if they had to produce twice as many in the same amount of time.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Let me illustrate a little better...1999-2001 cigars suck ass. Why? Think of the internet, that's when the the embargo was breached by the US cigar smoker. Maybe some of these duty free sites will open up B&M's here in the states. Wouldn't that be something?

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
plus Altadis and Habanos has registered some trade marks in the US to make way toward the US market so I personally see the lift coming soon , is it really a wild speculation ?
Altadis may have worked out some of the trademark issues but General Cigar, which I believe produces NC brands Partagas, Bolivar, Hoyo de Monterrey, and Punch, still have trademark issues... Am I wrong?

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Many people around here could smoke only CCs if they wanted -- yet most BOTLers who have access to Cubans smoke tons of quality Nica, Dominican, and other sticks as well.

Variety is the spice of life, and just as NC manufacturers can't faithfully recreate Cuban brands with non-Cuban tobacco, Cuba is never going to be able to turn out a cigar that will keep me from craving Opus X, Dirty Rats, Tats, etc. High quality manufacturers will do fine no matter where they're based.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To me Cuba is just another growing region. Sure it has its own distinct flavor but so does Nica and the DR. Ill certainly add some cubans into my rotation that I enjoy but NC's will always take up the majority of my humidor real estate.

CigarMan Andy

Taveling Herf Man
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Let me illustrate a little better...1999-2001 cigars suck ass. Why? Think of the internet, that's when the the embargo was breached by the US cigar smoker. Maybe some of these duty free sites will open up B&M's here in the states. Wouldn't that be something?
The reasons the 1998-2001 CC were so bad in quality had to do with the Nicuraguan and Dominican companies aere offering twice the pay to experienced rollers. That being said, only novice rollers weere rolling the cigars in Cuba and plugs, tight rolls etc were ther results.

As far as the initial question: Habanos SA and Swedish Match attend the TAA - and anounced last year, that when the embargo is lifted, they will have a 20% increase in the price of their cigars plus extras.

Example; Cohiba Siglo VI $26 usd plus $5.20 increase plus .40 cent per stick exsize tax means a Siglo VI could go as high as $31.60 usd plus OTP ( Other Tobacco Product tax). In CA, that means an additional 31.02% or $9.23 OTP $40.83 a stick. Ouch!

nubchin

cigar dreamin 24h
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Altadis may have worked out some of the trademark issues but General Cigar, which I believe produces NC brands Partagas, Bolivar, Hoyo de Monterrey, and Punch, still have trademark issues... Am I wrong?
I ment Altadis based in spain who has 50% Habanos share . Talking about General Cigars , what will happen to those Honduran Punch , Dominican Partagas etc ?

Ya, I know it sounds as if placing them as sub-par , plus by using a mildly offensive "non-cuban" word bunching up the respectful countries , but the topic is about the faith which sooner or later will effect every single smoker in the world cause the US market is too big to not cause an effect .

The reasons the 1998-2001 CC were so bad in quality had to do with the Nicuraguan and Dominican companies aere offering twice the pay to experienced rollers. That being said, only novice rollers weere rolling the cigars in Cuba and plugs, tight rolls etc were ther results.

As far as the initial question: Habanos SA and Swedish Match attend the TAA - and anounced last year, that when the embargo is lifted, they will have a 20% increase in the price of their cigars plus extras.

Example; Cohiba Siglo VI $26 usd plus $5.20 increase plus .40 cent per stick exsize tax means a Siglo VI could go as high as $31.60 usd plus OTP ( Other Tobacco Product tax). In CA, that means an additional 31.02% or $9.23 OTP $40.83 a stick. Ouch!
Ouch,,,, .
Well this time ,will it be the Cubans offering experienced Nicaraguan rollers a double pay ? Importing Dominican tobacco to fill the Monte 4 production , marketing them as 100% Cuban tobacco ,,,, . :assaultri

Here we have seen a very aggressive marketing program by La Aurora ( I imagine this came from the "Para Japon" project ) selling a very cheap (aprox 3.5 usd each ) 5pack long filler connie wrapped short robustos in street corner tobacco shops and kiosks .
This marketing seems to include educating shop owners how to maintain humidors, how to use cutters etc .
I imagine high ends will be high ends but what will make them fat will be these cheap mild every day cigars with massive retailing territories , so another wise move by La Aurora .

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
One of the biggest questions for me would be how and why the embargo dropped. There could be a regime changes before it drops in which case are we to assume that a government agency would still control tobacco production and sales? Things could go completely different then any of us expect. Personally I would love to see some of the other manufactures get access to cuban tobacco and see what they would produce.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
One of the biggest questions for me would be how and why the embargo dropped. There could be a regime changes before it drops in which case are we to assume that a government agency would still control tobacco production and sales? Things could go completely different then any of us expect. Personally I would love to see some of the other manufactures get access to cuban tobacco and see what they would produce.

Posted via Mobile Device
Great points Aaron. I especially like your last point, I would love to see someone like the Fuentes or Padron(who age their tobacco prior to release in some cases for many years) leave their fingerprint on Cuban tobacco.