What's new

What Would an NBA Sweet 16 Look Like?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a copy paste from an article, but I thought it was an interesting concept.

What Would an NBA Sweet 16 Look Like?

The Phoenix Suns are 41-29 and currently a half game out of the Western Conference playoffs. However, they have a better record than all but two teams in the Eastern Conference. They are obviously one of the 16 best teams in the NBA, but there’s a good chance they will fail to make the playoffs. Meanwhile, there’s a very good chance the Atlanta Hawks, who are six games under .500 and not a top-16 team, will make the playoffs. Fantastic.

Earlier this season, there was some buzz about getting rid of divisions in the NBA. Maybe we should consider getting rid of conferences, too — at least when it comes to seeding the playoffs. If the NBA went to straight seeding, regardless of divisions and conferences, this is what the playoff bracket would look like if the season ended today; the 16 most successful teams are in, the 14 least successful teams are out.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I can't see the attachments from this computer.

Is the question:
What if NBA only sent 5 percent of its teams to playoffs like NCAA, what would it look like?
-----2 teams, I suppose. Might make the regular season worthwhile

Or, is it:
What if NBA playoffs were 'one and done' like the NCAA's?
----- That'd be cool, too. Basketball might be over before before Memorial Day instead of the 4th of July

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see the attachments from this computer.

Is the question:
What if NBA only sent 5 percent of its teams to playoffs like NCAA, what would it look like?

Or, is it:
What if NBA playoffs were 'one and done' like the NCAA's?
----- That'd be cool, too. Basketball might be over before before Memorial Day instead of the 4th of July
It is pointing out for instance, "{The Phoenix Suns} are obviously one of the 16 best teams in the NBA, but there’s a good chance they will fail to make the playoffs....Meanwhile, there’s a very good chance the Atlanta Hawks, who are six games under .500 and not a top-16 team, will make the playoffs"

It is currently the top 8 teams in the West against the top 8 teams in the East.

So for instance, the West Coast teams this year (and many years) are much better than most of the teams in the East. Arguably, the 9th best team in the West (who is 1 spot away from making playoffs and doesn't get to go) is better than the 3rd place team in the East who is going to the playoffs.

So it is just saying instead of having a lopsided playoff system, just pick the best 16 teams out of all 30 teams to go to the playoffs.

Whether the playoff has almost all East Coast teams one year or all West Coast teams, just have the best 16 teams go to the playoffs.

It would still be best of 7 games, not 1 game like NCAA, but just a better playoffs because all of the teams will be the best of the best.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the question:
The NBA playoffs is already 16 teams, top 8 in West, top 8 in East.

..and there is I think 30 teams so that's already over half of the teams in the playoffs.

So 16 teams in the playoffs would not change. Just wouldn't have the West battle each other down to the last team, East battle each other down to the last team, then in the last game, finally have the West play the East.

Just top 16 right off the bat regardless what conference.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Sorry....I understood much better than I implied....I wasn't really trying to add value to the actual basis for your discussion....the sarcasm dripping from my keyboard didn't transmit well. I think it is crazy that there's more than 6 or 8 teams in the playoffs -- and that the season drags on as long as it does. I'll back out now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry....I understood much better than I implied....I wasn't really trying to add value to the actual basis for your discussion....the sarcasm dripping from my keyboard didn't transmit well. I think it is crazy that there's more than 6 or 8 teams in the playoffs -- and that the season drags on as long as it does. I'll back out now.
Ah gotcha, I am a huge NBA fan over all other sports, so I love it.