What's new

What Your College Degree is Worth

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Interesting you raise this topic.

Right now there is scrutiny by the DOE of for-profit higher education schools whom are the recipient of Title IV funds. The argument set forth by the DOE is students are obtaining degrees with Title IV funds and are not earning enough in their fields to repay the loans. The argument further states while for-profit colleges have a responsibility to their shareholders, they also have a responsibility to provide educational value to their students (herein lies the conflict of interest).

My opnion is the default rate is so high on Title IV loans it has gotten the attention of the DOE. Also, the cost of higher education is so high and the return so little it begs the question of why bother unless pursuing a lucrative field. The stats you set forth further substantiate mu opnions.

It’s really a shame this is what today’s youth has to deal with and look forward too…

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've got a computer degree, but I'm doing engineer work for a gov't contractor. So, I'd be doing well if I didn't have three kids in college all at once...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
At least mine won't be chump change with I get my biotechnology degree. My wife has her masters degree in curriculum development and just broke 50K this year as a public school teacher. I hope to be there in a few years with out the graduate school if possible. If I have to go to graduate school I don't know what the hell I'd go for at this point.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
MIS(Management Information Systems):

Wages of computer and information systems managers vary by specialty and level of responsibility. Median annual wages of these managers in May 2008 were $112,210. The middle 50 percent earned between $88,240 and $141,890. Median annual wages in the industries employing the largest numbers of computer and information systems managers in May 2008 were as follows:

Software publishers $126,840
Computer systems design and related services 118,120
Management of companies and enterprises 115,150
Depository credit intermediation 113,380
Insurance carriers 109,810

In addition to salaries, computer and information systems managers, especially those at higher levels, often receive employment-related benefits, such as expense accounts, stock option plans, and bonuses.
I feel my major is a good financial choice :clap:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am an engineer and hire engineers but I am noticing more and more that Universities tend to have the highest level classes in the things they get grant and research money for, instead of the areas that have the highest number of jobs. It is irrating to me when I hire a young EE and he could design high level digital filters in his head but has to look up simple three phase power equations.

dowjr1

Dan O
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its all about business baby business. Also important is the ability to sell. Even if you are an Engineer or whatever you have to sell the person/company on hiring you, an artist has to sell is art, and on the cover of books there is nothing talking about the "best writing author" it is the "best selling author." :)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm an engineer by training and trade but my mother was an English teacher. When I was a kid she used to wear out red pens on my homework. Several years ago the company I worked for found out they had an engineer on staff who could write in real English. It has all been down hill from there.

They started out pimping me for technical writing on proposals. Then, it was: "Since you're already developing the solution anyway... why don't you go out on the sales calls too?" Next thing you know, I'm the Director of Business Development. Now days, I'm managing capture for my (new, larger) company's main thrust efforts. I just got an intern who is a CS student and I'm afraid I'm boring her to death with business instead of electronics.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Right now there is scrutiny by the DOE of for-profit higher education schools whom are the recipient of Title IV funds. The argument set forth by the DOE is students are obtaining degrees with Title IV funds and are not earning enough in their fields to repay the loans. The argument further states while for-profit colleges have a responsibility to their shareholders, they also have a responsibility to provide educational value to their students (herein lies the conflict of interest).
I just saw a documentary on that. Normally I'd say let the market sort it out, but they're making their profits off government loans that they KNOW their students are unlikely to pay back. They're essentially ripping off taxpayers to make their profit and hurting students that could have used those loans to go to a real school.

Overall, I'd say be careful with the whole college experience. Even if you go to a good school, not every degree is worth what you pay for it. It always amazes me to see people complain about their art degree not getting them a job. It's not like the numbers were not available at the time they elected a major...

But what do I know? I dropped out of my first semester and never looked back. :)

-Charles

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Bingo! Thats exactly it. It's taken the DOE a loooong time to realize the problem with for-profit's and they are playing hardball.

My prediction is some higher eduation schools are going to have their for-profit status pulled before the dust settles.

Interesting.

I just saw a documentary on that. Normally I'd say let the market sort it out, but they're making their profits off government loans that they KNOW their students are unlikely to pay back. They're essentially ripping off taxpayers to make their profit and hurting students that could have used those loans to go to a real school.

Overall, I'd say be careful with the whole college experience. Even if you go to a good school, not every degree is worth what you pay for it. It always amazes me to see people complain about their art degree not getting them a job. It's not like the numbers were not available at the time they elected a major...

But what do I know? I dropped out of my first semester and never looked back. :)

-Charles

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The school I am attending is a $10,800 a semester school. I would not be going if it were not for the Montgomery GI Bill Post 9/11 benefits. I was talking to a classmate that is graduating very shortly and he has like $54,000 in loans to pay off. I couldn't imagine running that kind of debt up with only a piece of paper as tangible proof of money spent. Then once they graduate they'll be lucky to get a job paying $40,000 and take forever to pay those loans down. A friend from highschool just graduated as a podiatrist. She has $260K or more of school debt to pay off. I know she's a doc but good lord that's a lot of money to pay for something that doesn't directly transport you, cloth you, or provide you shelter.

I'd have to do some research but I suspect that skyrocketing higher education costs are related to government loan programs. If the government wasn't dishing out loans and grants like there's no tomorrow, I think the costs would have not risen as rapidly. For example when I was still active duty USAF I did some online courses through American Military University. When the 100% tuition assistance was upped the tuition cost per class went up to match the 100% tuition payout. So did they run into increased costs through the year and just waited for the ability to charge more? Or do they just charge as much as the DOD will pay out for military members? I suspect the latter because if they were at or below the price cutoff they would suffer from drastically decreased attendance.