What's new

What Your College Degree is Worth

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Glad I graduated with no debt. Such a blessing...
Nice!. Took me over a year to pay off the one semester I attended. Had a partial scholarship on that, too.

I do imagine going back one day. At this point I don't really think it'd help my career much, but I'd love to do it for the experience. Maybe if I manage to save up a mess of money and I've got some time on my hands.

(What're the odds of that?)

-Charles

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Nice!. Took me over a year to pay off the one semester I attended. Had a partial scholarship on that, too.

I do imagine going back one day. At this point I don't really think it'd help my career much, but I'd love to do it for the experience. Maybe if I manage to save up a mess of money and I've got some time on my hands.

(What're the odds of that?)

-Charles
Well you know I just did the "normal" thing. Graduate high school, got my AA from community college then went to university. Parents paid for community college and I was working 30-40 hours a week while taking at least 15hrs of courses to pay for university. Everyday I'm hustling, hustling hustl...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went back to school in 2004 after being unable to find a decent job for 2.5 years, started in Jan 2001 as a database developer, and held onto that for a year and a half. The company is hospitality based, and after 17 months they finally cut me loose as tourism was very flat.

I finished my Masters of Mechanical Engineering in December 2010.

I am once again a database developer. I sent engineering resumes to all regions of the US, and got about two phone calls back for jobs paying ~50k a year. I posted my IT resume on Dice and within 2 hours I had 3 calls about jobs.

WTF.

So here I am, masters of engineering, and Im programming databases. Getting paid pretty good though, so I cant complain. Interesting how things go though.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I have a BA in Econ, and then went back to get my MBA.

I think the business degrees have really helped my earning, but the debt is crushing (100k). Also, I don't do any economic work in the classical/theoretical sense, but I do a lot of game theory and negotiations so I feel I have benefited from the education.