What's new

What's everyone cooking for the 4th?

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've changed a lot over the years, but I would say the last couple I use a Hungarian paprika based dry rub. I put them in the oven at 200 for hour and half then on the grill for 3-4 hours at 225. I like pork baby back and st Louis style ribs.
I do mostly a 3-2-1 method on the smoker. Brown sugar based dry rub with different spices, whatever floats your boat, then smoke them until they turn good color. Foil them, put honey butter with more brown sugar on both sides, cook for a while foiled. Then unwrap, and the last 30 minutes I sauce em. Make you wanna smack your mamma(not literally)

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I do mostly a 3-2-1 method on the smoker. Brown sugar based dry rub with different spices, whatever floats your boat, then smoke them until they turn good color. Foil them, put honey butter with more brown sugar on both sides, cook for a while foiled. Then unwrap, and the last 30 minutes I sauce em. Make you wanna smack your mamma(not literally)
Sounds nice! I did 5 racks of babybacks this weekend. Started with a nice layer of honey and they went heavy on the dry rub (paprika, cayenned, garlic powder, onion powder with a little brown sugar.)

I don't use any sauce (or need it!!)

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sounds nice! I did 5 racks of babybacks this weekend. Started with a nice layer of honey and they went heavy on the dry rub (paprika, cayenned, garlic powder, onion powder with a little brown sugar.)

I don't use any sauce (or need it!!)
Very similar to my dry rub, the honey tends to burn more, do you foil?

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Very similar to my dry rub, the honey tends to burn more, do you foil?
I've never used foil. The WSM does a great job of holding steady at 225 for hours and hours.

My babybacks are done right around the 6 hour mark. I usually baste them once an hour with some sort of acidic juice. Yesterday, it was orange juice!

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have used foil many times with gas grills, but now that I use the Egg I don't. I stand them up on their side using a rack. Also I have worked on perfecting my bbq sauce for a while.... I add that towards the end of cooking. BTW Brown sugar is a key ingredient.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My rub is:
Dark Brown Sugar,
Paprika
Chili Powder
Granulated Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder

1:1:1 on DBS, Paprika and Chili Powder...the rest to taste but pretty heavy on the granulated garlic.

I then rub the meat w/ yellow mustard and then apply the dry rub. Let sit for 8+ hours or overnight.

Shoulder took 14 1/2 hours to get to my 190deg mark at 225-250 temp.

Ribs took 4 1/2 hours.

I then make my own carolina sauce as well...getting hungry, think it's time for some leftovers. :)