What's new

What's in your bowl today

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Testing out my latest junk shop rescue, a frankenpipe. Found the London Crown pipe, with a painfully obvious replacement stem screwed in straight to the briar. With a little work, this Medico stem now fits. Went with some Elizabethan Mixture. So far so good, except for the hundreds of hornets swarming my deck due to an unusually hot day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing out my latest junk shop rescue, a frankenpipe. Found the London Crown pipe, with a painfully obvious replacement stem screwed in straight to the briar. With a little work, this Medico stem now fits. Went with some Elizabethan Mixture. So far so good, except for the hundreds of hornets swarming my deck due to an unusually hot day.
That's not a bad looking repair at all and I really dig the birds eye on that pipe.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Is the other side all flame?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is the other side all flame?
The sides are pretty solid birds eye, the front and back along with the bottom have a pretty tight mostly straight grain. Birds eye is about the only grain term I know for sure I can spot, so I don't know exactly what the rest would be called, I'll get a couple more pics up when I can figure out some decent lighting.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So had my first crack at Margate today, cracked the bag and the smell was fresh cut lawn with a hint of low tide... Sounds horrible but it was a nice smell. Found an interesting bit of flake on top, can see on the chopping board..

Being ribbon I underestimated the dry time, only gave it 15mins but it could have done with longer especially fresh from the pack.

It packed well but it was wet, gave the smoke a heat that wasn't great and a sourness of ammonia that I would love to try again without.

All in all though it's a nice classic English flavour and I can definitely see the similarities between this and Pembroke. Just without the extra sugar taste. Can't wait to try again properly with what I have learnt, but I can see I'm going to like this blend.