What's new

What's the taste?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Brothers & Sisters,

My palate for cigars is not what you'd call refined. Either I like a cigar or I don't. I can't identify pepper or woodsy or cedar. All I can do is identify that this cigar tastes like S***! So, with that in mind I've smoked 2 sticks recently that I didn't like the predominent taste in, a Don Pepin Garcia blue label and a Rocky Patel vintage 1990. What is the predominate taste in these cigars so when I do my future shopping I don't get stuck with something I can't smoke?

Thanks for the help!

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
You mean a taste common to BOTH sticks? That I couldn't say. Maybe "earth," the Vintage '90 is pretty earthy with quite a bit of leather as well...the only Blue I smoked yielded only "pepper," so much freaking pepper that I've yet to smoke a 2nd one, actually.

I like the the Vintage '90 alright, but I like the '92 MUCH more...it's earthy too, but also woodsy (cedar) with a touch of maduro sweetness.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I am told that you should continue to smoke and allow your palate to refine itself. I am in the same boat as you. This is an expensive hobby and one must taste many cigars before you can start identifying flavors.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I am told that you should continue to smoke and allow your palate to refine itself. I am in the same boat as you. This is an expensive hobby and one must taste many cigars before you can start identifying flavors.
Try smoking with a companion that has a bit more refined pallet than you do. You can both compare views of the same stick as you set it on fire. This has helped me.

CoolP

Toro! Toro! Toro!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion three tastes dominate those cigars wood, leather, and cofee/chocolate. They also develop in taste. So where did you give up on it? If I remember correctly 1990 is wood, leather/coffee, coffee/chocolate DPG Blue Strong leather Wood/chocolate strong coffee.
(I go by thirds of the stick) The first inch of the first third is the worst for me and the first inch of the last is the best

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
In my opinion three tastes dominate those cigars wood, leather, and cofee/chocolate. They also develop in taste. So where did you give up on it? If I remember correctly 1990 is wood, leather/coffee, coffee/chocolate DPG Blue Strong leather Wood/chocolate strong coffee.
(I go by thirds of the stick) The first inch of the first third is the worst for me and the first inch of the last is the best
The 1990 I got 1/2 way through and pitched it. I only got into the first 3rd of the Pepin. These put such a fowl tatse in my mouth that I can't even enjoy a good smoke after trying these two. :hanghead:

Ted

JMV

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1990 I got 1/2 way through and pitched it. I only got into the first 3rd of the Pepin. These put such a fowl tatse in my mouth that I can't even enjoy a good smoke after trying these two. :hanghead:

Ted
I have yet to smoke a Rocky Patel that I've actually liked and as luck would have it not any of the shops around here stock them.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0

Ted
Pepins taste like chicken? :rofl:

CoolP

Toro! Toro! Toro!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ted
Lost the thread for a minute....
At those parts of the cigar it's definately the leather, especially the first third of that blue!!! I'm suprised that your 1990 was not like dark chocolate by 1/2 way through. Was it the box press (square) and was the wrapper dark. I bought a 5-pack that didn't have the box press. The wrappers were not dark and they had more leather and not as much chocolate flavor.
I also had a bad experience with my first Pepin JJ. It tasted and smelled musty. I have two more and I hope that it was just a fluke. I still haven't a second one because of the shell shock.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So times you have to give it some time . You may or maynot like something and go back later, And feel something different about the same smoke.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you are really hellbent on naming certain tastes and flavors, I'd suggest going on to a cigar-review website and and smoking the cigar while you read the review for the specific cigar.

I've been smoking cigars for about five years now and while I know that I don't have the best palate, I think I do have a somewhat decent one. That said, sometimes when I read CA/CI or some other review sites and I see their reviewers calling out tastes and flavors like 'blackberry' and 'mocha' I start to get a headache. Smoke the cigar and enjoy it how you want to. If you don't want to worry about picking up flavors, don't - if you do, have a it, but above all else, enjoy it.

CA/CI is good for updates and info, but for reviews I like Zen Cigar, I don't always agree with the reviews, but I like the style better. Goes more off of palate sensations; sour, sweet, etc. rather than crazy flavors liker 'hazelnut' and 'brown sugar.'

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
All I'm trying to do is identfy the most prominent tatse in the cigar so the next time I go to a B&M or order online I can at least know that I don't like heavy leather or whatever.

Ted