What's new

What's up with my Ancient Warrior?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Decided to fire up an Ancient Warrior a little while ago. All was fine, and I was really enjoying the smoke, when I noticed it seemed to be harder to draw from. Then it wouldn't stay lit, and that was about half way through the cigar. I relit it several times, but it still did not want to burn. Then, I noticed that the cigar was getting hot to the touch.

Did I just get a bad one, or could this be something I did? I have been trying to get my new wineador to settle down and keep some humidity, but it would waver all over the place, but never more than about 35%. So I moved my stash back into my smaller wineador, and things are back to normal.

Back to Sam's with the big one. But what's up with my smoke. It was only in the new cooler a day or two max, and I'd think with low humidity it would tend to dry out and burn faster.

Any thoughts?

Mike

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Well if you are keeping your wineador at 35% that is way too low. Now if you said your cigar was burning fast & hot I would say ok. It sounds like it may have been plugged (they're handmade and you do get bad ones). Let's try to get that RH up to about 65%.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Might have just been a bad one, but maybe you were smokin it a bit too fast. Ease up on the next one, and if it goes out try purging it while you relight.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks. I know that 35% is too low, that's why I'm returning that cooler. Even with a lb of humidity beads it wasn't able to get any higher. The smaller one works great -- right now it's sitting at 68 degrees and 65% humidity.

Not sure what you mean by smoking it too fast. I was relaxing on my screened porch, with a cold beer and my smoke. I don't think I was smoking any faster than usual. I do agree that I think I just got a bad one.

Mike

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
hmmm not sure of the dimensions but a lb should have been good. Especially with the FL humidity. It might have been the cooling unit sucking the RH out of the air.

In terms of the too fast....if a cigar is dry it has a tendency to burn very quickly/fast.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Had the exact same problem with my AWs Mike. Got mine from Cbid and found that they had to sit in the 'dore for about 30 days or more. Hated to waste such nice smoke so I kept trying to work with it. Found that the plug moved down with the cherry.

Couple of other cigars I've gotten from the same place did the same too. But those AWs are so big it took longer to even the moisture content out. YRMV....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When a stick plugs half way through I'll reclip, this usually does the trick. I run into this the most when I smoke torpedos.

J

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
i agree with the wooden skewer... its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a tool specifically for that