What's new

What's With 6 x 60?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I think it has a lot to do with marketing to new smokers. Speaking from my experience, I used to smoke these 6x60 when I started out. I thought the bigger the cigar the more "bang for your buck". Why buy a 6x48 for $4 when you can get a 6x60 for $4.50? Bigger cigar = more tobacco = better buy. Also, the big cigar sets fits into a preconceived notion of what a "manly" cigar should look like as opposed to a lancero or lonsdale.

It wasn't until I started to learn about cigars and the finer points of blending, fillers, and wrappers that I started to appreciate "smaller" cigars.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I'm not sure where Nick Perdomo is getting the idea that packing more tobacco in a cigar automatically equals complexity. Frankly, it has been my experience that the most complexity comes from a greater wrapper to filler ratio, which is lost with a large ring gauge. Also, a 60 ring gauge is frankly downright uncomfortable on the jaw, physically.
I wish there was a like button Burton, you'd get my vote

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
This

I get bored with a smoke that large. I think the corona is the best cigar size there is.

and this

I would rather burn a pair of coronas than a single massive cigar.

say it best for me.

I rarely have 2+ hours to smoke a cigar.
When I do, I typically like to get in 2 cigars or 1 REALLY REALLY great one!

Ive had quite a few 60+ rg and that doesnt bother me when they are in the 4-5 inch range, but once you start hititng 6-7 + inches that is just WAY too much.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I don't mind a 6 x 60 so long as it's made by Hebrew National and I can put mustard on it.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
6x60 FAME:

Hello Shizzzas ...!

The 60 Ring Phenom is very interesting because at the very same time that the 6x60 has gained momentum, so have the corona and corona gorda sizes, and to a much much smaller degree, Lanceros. So, popularity is moving up and down at the same time.

I read over and over in different forums, blogs, etc, as well as at events ... that many people feel that the smaller ring allows the smoker to experience more of the capa. This is a case that is easy to argue, as a simple mathematics test gives it validity. However, it is not the only thing that matters in a blend. "And we know this ..."

In regard to burn/construction ... it has always been difficult to keep a 6x60 lit without too many relights. We are having some really good success on the MUWAT, but thats with tremendously aged tobaccos, a medium bodied blend (stronger blend is significantly harder to make burn right), and rollers who are pinpointing the ligero at the center of the stick. Still a pain in the ass, but worth it.

Well, I'm tired as hell. Been at the Chicago trade show for a bunch of days and then stopped at TESA cigars right here in the heart of Chicago tonight. Chris Kelly, and his partner Brian are the best. If anyone is visiting the city of Chicago and you don't visit TESA, you have made a mistake. I'm going to bed ...!

WHAT IT DOOOOO
JD

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I smoke 6x60's occasionally but they certainly aren't my favorite size. That being said the Tatuaje Gran Cojonu is fantastic!

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thanks for the insight, Jonathan. This size is not usually my thing, but if I've learned one thing in a decade of smoking cigars it's that a well-made cigar can always surprise you.