What's new

What's Your Current Favorite Tabac?

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I realize that everyone changes from time to time.

I'm getting comfortable with pipes now and definately am developing favorites. Between sampling everything I can and learning about the benefits of aging, I'm trying many different blends. Granted certain blends lend themselves to times of day or events. But, everyone has an "Old Tobby" or a Favorite standard.

I'm liking two blends lately.

Troost Classic Sliced, very nice.

And G.L Pease Mephisto. Tasty

Both are very enjoyable in different ways.

So How about You? What's always a "GOAL!" in Your Bowl?

Slack

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
My standard favorites (the ones I know will always satisfy) are ...

Astley's #109
Esoterica Pembroke
G&H Bob's Choc Flake
McClelland 5100
Rattray Highland Targe

Some newly discovered treats ...

McClelland Virginia Woods (aged)
GL Pease Montgomery
Samuel Gawith Sam's Flake

And some special blends that I must regulate due to their scarcity ...

AC Peterson Navy Cut #499
Blatter & Blatter Reserve
GL Pease Bohemian Scandal

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
McClelland #5100 (Red Virginia) and #2035 (Navy Flake) are my "go to" blends. They are available in bulk, and relatively inexpensive. I also enjoy "Haddo's Delight" from G.L. Pease.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After I read Ted's post. I went digging around and found a tin of Astleys no. 109.
It was Veeery nice. Smooth with good flavor development. A keeper for sure!

I'm going to have to start keeping tasting notes til I get more experience. (Yup)

Thanks Tedski!

Slack

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sancho Panza said:
SP's home made Cuban pipe tobacco

Now, You talked about this before.(somewhere else) Is this from the collection of trimmings of Cubans? Or a separate blending of Cuban Pipe tobacco?

I started a trimmings bag last year and then mixed about 1/4 of it with a local aromatic called Black Bear. Then another 1/4 with some plain Burley. The rest I left alone to marry, I hope.

Now, I also included Opus and VSG in the trimmings. Plus, I had a few totally plugged Habanos that I gave up on trying to smoke and just cut them up and threw them in. The Black Bear is too overwelming for the mix, but the Burley is showing promise.

The regular Habanos Pipe Tobacco is very subtle and in a aromatic blend it just disappears. So, I don't do that anymore.

I'm curious about What You do.

Does anyone else do this too?

Slack

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bsslack, yes, I talked about it @ CW. I don't mix mine with anything else, but, I'd be really interested in how yours turns out.

If I smoked VSG's or OPUSex, I'd use those clippings, too. Those cigars are wasted on me, so, if you see me buying some, they are for gifts.

I'd also be interested if you have another plugged Havana, to see how it would taste, separate from other mixtures.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
SP,

Well, in my Extremely Limited Experience, I've found the Havana cigar tobacco to be incredibly mild, if not flat out tame, in a pipe. Even the Cuban Pipe tobacco I've tried was very subtle.(again limited experiences) I tried the blends as an experiment. The plain mix of All (Habanos,Opux,VSG,ect) has a bit more character than just Habanos alone, but it's not a consistant flavor profile. I mean how could it be. I'm hoping that as it matures, the Heinz 57 aspect will settle down. It's interesting that the Ulta Premium Domestic tabaccos seem to perk up the Cuban tabac. You would think the opposite. But, certainly the Opus is far more aromatic thand most Cubans. I limit the domestic contributions to the two stated Brands and maybe one or two others in small amounts. (like Anejos & Greycliff's) For sake of argument and curiosity, I tried the cut up Cuban in a pipe ( with a MM Cuban ) awhile back and again it was Boring. Strange that something with very specific and great flavor characteristics in a Cigar, is nearly devoid of them as pipe fodder. Of course that's why You have the two completely different mediums, for enjoyment.

Question SP? Why did You say that the Opi and VSG were a waste on You?

I guess everyone has favorite commecial Tabacs. But, I have an urge to search out and try everything I can and even try a hand at blending a bit. It's just too tempting. Example: Taking Your two favorite Tabacs and putting them together. Or taking a Plain or one demensional Tabac and combining it with another simple type to get a more complex flavor profile. Of course You can get some less than optimal experiences. (yuk) Surprisingly, (to me anyway) on more than one occaision, I accidently recreated a known blend profile. (lol!) OK, something "close to" the familiar taste of a known blend.
Well, that's how They did it in the first place, right?

I also realize that I am still on the tip of the Iceberg. I'm still a newbie and learning more everyday! I'm judging stuff on 5 or 6 months aging. We all know that's not real aging, but Ya gotta start somewhere, Yes? Plus, I've had alot of help from very knowledgable Brothers who are willing to Share and Help me learn, I would not have got very far, without Them! (Plain Truth!)

But, I'll tell Ya what though, it sure is Fun!

Slack

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, meant to add to the above that VSG's & Opus, even the Power Stranger do nothing for me...the 1st Opus the 10th I had years back was pretty good, but after that it was downhill & a waste of a cigar that others cherished...non-Cuban tobacco, with 2 to 4 exceptions, turns my stomach, even some of the exceptions sometimes turn my stomach...

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fair enough.
As a Woman once told me....."A Person has to have Standards!" of course her reason for saying that to me was not appreciated, but it's still sound advise. (lol)

That's one of the irony's of tabacco. Cubans kick Ass in Cigars, but not in a pipe. As I have experienced so far, Heaven knows I'm on thin ice experience wise. It just facinates me. That good old Virginia tabac is that versatile. Of course my face was red a few months ago when I found out, Virginia, Burley and the like are grown all over, just like Cuban seed tabacco is.

I try to qualify my statements because, I know I've much yet to learn.

SP-How many Years have You been Piping?

Slack

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I bought my first REAL pipe 'bout 1982, but didn't stick with it long; bought a Dr. Grabo about 1993; bought another real pipe about 1995, but didn't stick with it, either...so, I guess I've been piping since last year...

all our taste buds are different, I'll stick with the Cuban cigar pipe tobacco for a while...

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's The Beauty of IT!

Each of Us goes with what works for them. But, Both cigar smokers and Pipe Smokers still try new things. That keeps the Art fresh and exciting!

Cool!

Slack

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love very robust Latakia mixtures (Nightcap, Balkan Sobranie, Rattray's Red Rapparee) but have moved slowly but surely away from them. Body chemistry changes with time.

My regular smoke now tends to consist either of Virginia & Périque formulas [Escudo Navy Deluxe, Three Nuns (when I can get it), Astley's No. 2 Virginia Mixture, Esoterica Tobacciana's Dorchester and Dunbar, Pease's Haddo's Delight, Solani 633, C&D's Three Friars] or more-or-less pure Virginia [Astley's No. 109 Virginia Flake, Dan's Hamborger Veermaster or Rattray's Marlin Flake. Orlik's Golden Slices and Reiner's Long Golden Flake may contain some buffering Burley, but I still love them, especially the Reiner.]

I have recently re-discovered the delights of Virginia-and-Orientals and am in love with McClelland's #8 and the slightly blander but still excellent Pease Fillmore. Yum.

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my fav of the new year Lane Limited Black Spice. Has a nutmeg and cinnamon finish to it, very mild and a great room note. Worth a try...

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Packed the WC with some 2-yr old GLP Lombard & a dash of 5-yr old Queen Annes Revenge...

Just awesome!

Thanks again Donk...

I'm gonna have to check to see if I can even get something comparable to the QAR...