What's new

When did the 'sampling' settle down?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am deep into the '5 pack' sampling mode of this new hobby and journey. I don't buy singles or samplers anymore because I don't think I can truly make a decision on whether a smoke is a keeper after once or even twice. My question is this...At what point did some of the more experienced people here settle in with there favorites and not 'explore' so much? Does it ever end? I have many cigars in stock that I have not even tried yet and I still find myself searching the auction sites for more...l think I have a problem...lol. But seriously, how long did it take before you started committing to your favorites and stopped searching...or did it ever happen?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think after a while you'll get an idea of what you like...brands, leaf, and flavor profiles. You'll still pickup new stuff but you're more careful. Now when I buy something I haven't tried yet I usually like it and I'm getting stuck with fewer "neighbor cigars".

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m just over 1 year in of smoking cigars. I went in hard and heavy and smoked about everything that remotely interested me. I still like a variety and still have some I want to try but I’m slowing down and buying only stuff I really like, rarer stuff I want to hoard and stuff I like that’s on sale.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
After about 5 years of actually getting into cigars i find myself knowing what i like and do not. Always willing to give a shot on a sampler, because taste does change over time. I went through maduro phases and habano phases etc. But now as @Lomey said, starting down the cc slope brings you right back to trying new stuff.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t end. Ever. I’ll go through long stretches of just smoking my favorites and then I’ll get the itch to try something new. The “try something new” phase lasts for a little while and sometimes I’ll even find a cigar that’s added to the favorites list.

I don’t buy 5ers or samplers for the purposes of sampling. If I want to try a new stick (because of what I’ve read about it online) I’ll go to a B & M and pick up a couple. If I find one I like I’ll start buying them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!!! a lot of feedback...thanks. I guess I am doomed.....lol. I am just going to enjoy it then. It just leads me to wonder.... how many sticks will I have on hand a year from now?. Probably way too many.:)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say a couple of years in I started to know what I liked. That's when I started to buy boxes instead of singles or fivers. Now that I'm getting into CCs I'm starting the process all over.
I am going to Cuba in April and will be bringing back what I can. I have never had a CC and I am a littler worried. What if they really are that much better to me and they turn me off of the NCs ? Not sure I can afford that!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I am going to Cuba in April and will be bringing back what I can. I have never had a CC and I am a littler worried. What if they really are that much better to me and they turn me off of the NCs ? Not sure I can afford that!
A lot of cc can be had for around rhe same price as nc. Some cheaper and better than cheaper nc. Just do a little research before going and enjoy yourself. Take pics and post them up for us as well.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Took a while. Years, actually.

Over time, your palate will change and evolve. You may find you no longer enjoy the same flavors you did when you started. My palate went from only wanting the darkest, strongest flavors to being solidly in the medium camp and actually disliking maduros.

After your palate settles in, you’ll have to relearn everything you thought you knew, then eventually you’ll be able to settle into a routine.