What's new

When enough isn't enough for some people!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place for this. If it isn't, please move it, or tell me where I need to post it.

There is a great cigar/pipe store in Springfield MO called Just for Him. Great people working in there, great cigars and tobacco blends. I get a newsletter from them via email. This one came over the weekend. I personally think this a total crock of poo! I mean, the ban is already in place, and going to revoke the exemptions??

There is a campaign in Joplin MO and nearby towns to get a full smoking ban in place. I talked to them at a local fair/festival this weekend, and expressed how bar exemptions would be a very fair compromise, but they said "All or nothing, all across the board, is the only way to make this happen." I told her I thought she was ridiculous.

Here's the newletter update I received about Springfield:

"ALERT!!!

Full Indoor Smoking Ban Proposed in Springfield

Mayor Jim O'Neal plans to introduce an ordinance later this month, and he expects it to pass. Springfield-Greene County Health Director Kevin Gipson says all businesses would be smoke free this time around.

The current smoking ban has numerous exemptions including retail stores (including Just For Him) and bars. 61 exempt Bars are currently classified by the percentage of alcohol served. The proposed amendment would remove all of these exemptions by disallowing smoking at any place of business.

As citizens and business owners, this ban obviously concerns us on a personal and business level. Professionally, we would no longer be able to sample new cigars as they enter the store or create new pipe tobacco blends in our store. As a business, we currently have frequent events (many in support of local charities) that include smoking. We exist largely because local business people can come in before or after work and relax while enjoying a pipe or cigar while talking with friends. For some of our customers, important business decisions and contacts are made in our store.

Personally, we believe that intelligent, responsible, legal adults should be able to make their own decisions about where they spend their time and money. All of this would be in jeopardy if this ban goes through. This would also affect many of our favorite local businesses such as the cigar bar above Bijan’s, The Red Room in Flame, Skybox Grill & Lounge, Fox & Hound and The Albatross Hookah Lounge.

Springfield currently supports choice in businesses. For example, Nathan P. Murphy’s is a local, smoke free bar. Most retail stores carry no smoking signs on their door. Removing this choice second guesses both the business owner and consumer.

A public hearing on this proposal will take place at the June 28th city council meeting and a vote could occur as soon as July 12th. If you are a Springfield resident we strongly suggest contacting your city council person and attending the June 28th council meeting.

You can find the contact information of your local Springfield City Council Representative at the following link: http://gismaps.springfieldmo.gov/councilzone/
"

I wish I was a Springfield resident. I love this store. It's the closest "good" cigar retailer around me.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Yeah saw this the other night on the springfield news. This is a total crock of crap. I have called a couple of people that live there to go to the city council meeting and voice their opinion. If a establishment is a tobacco based establishment then they should be exempt. I walk in to a cigar lounge knowing I will be around second hand smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucks! We lost smoking inside businesses and bars in NJ a long time ago but tobacco establishments are still excempt....for now.

Unfortunately, we now live in an age where people need the Government to make their decisions for them. Why think for yourself when the state can protect you. Soon, everything will be sanitized for your protection.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
More accurately, we now live in an age where governments think that people need their decisions made for them.

The Nanny State will be in our homes very soon.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Pretty sad that as a society we have come so far, yet lost so many freedoms that this wonderful country was founded on.

Pretty simple...If you don't want to be around tobacco smoke, don't walk into a friggin' cigar lounge!

BTW, Clint...Who are you, and why did you steal my name?? :)