What's new

When smoking a cigar, can anyone tell me why.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....I have been told not to INHALE smoke from a cigar?

I have been smoking cigarettes for a long damn time, and inhaling smoke is almost second nature to me. Sometimes around a campfire I'll inhale some oak and/or some redwood smoke by reflex, (which hurts by the way).

Since I have started smoking cigars on a semi regular basis, I do inhale some of the smoke. Mostly when smoking the middle and end of the cigar, when the smoke is a little sweeter, milder, and spicier.

I have never gotten sick from inhaling, but then again, I smoke some pretty mild cigars. Is inhaling a cigar bad because you might get sick from the nicotine, or is it just bad form and likely to change the flavors of the smoke when it hits the back of your tounge, and your throat??

Help a brother out here, I am really curious. :(

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I felt the same way as you when I started smoking cigars. And yeah, you start getting into some of the stronger cigars and not inhaling has made me queasy if I don't have food in my stomach. The way I think of it is taking about 4 camel wides ripping the filters off and trying to smoke them all at the same time. Once in a while doesn't bother me so much as long as the cigar is fairly mild, but yeah it's the nicotene

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Cigars are unfiltered...I just don't want 100% of that stuff in my lungs. Although some smoke does get inhaled because sometimes it's unavoidable.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
cvm4 said:
Cigars are unfiltered...I just don't want 100% of that stuff in my lungs. Although some smoke does get inhaled because sometimes it's unavoidable.
That and if you have a stronger cigar the nicotine content is bumped up which might make some of us a little green.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Typically cigars are smoked for the flavor and cigarettes are smoked to introduce nicotine to the blood system.

You may, as others do, experience even more flavor when the smoke reaches the back of your throat.

I would be concerned with the fact that each draw on a cigar is generating a great deal more smoke than a cigarette, which can have health implications down the road.

Two things are happening. Obviously you have a physical habit of inhaling as you said it is second nature. Secondly you have a nicotine addiction.
Cigarettes are a nicotine delivery device and that is their only purpose.

If inhaling does not physically bother you then no one has the right to tell you to stop inhaling. I would recommend against it though simply because that is a ton of unfiltered, not counting the filtering effect of the leaves, smoke entering your lungs. Especially so if you consider how long one cigar lasts as compared to one cigarette.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use a needle and inject cigars straight into my blood stream. hardcore...you're all milds.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
As anyone who has lost their cookies can attest to, plenty of nicotine gets into your bloodstream even when you don't inhale, and that too is addictictive...Just ask a cigar smoker who has tried to stop or a dip man...

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I bought a few cartons of RyJ cigarettes and by the 3-4 carton of INHALING these puppies...my chest hurt. The Habano cigarettes are made from "black tobacco" ( I don't know what that means though) but it is cigar tobacco in a cigarette form. Freakishly strong cigarettes. I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

Cigar tobacco is completely different than Cigarette tobacco. Dont inhale it...Period.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
indyrob said:
I bought a few cartons of RyJ cigarettes and by the 3-4 carton of INHALING these puppies...my chest hurt. The Habano cigarettes are made from "black tobacco" ( I don't know what that means though) but it is cigar tobacco in a cigarette form. Freakishly strong cigarettes. I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

Cigar tobacco is completely different than Cigarette tobacco. Dont inhale it...Period.
I read somewhere that black tobacco is the generic name for the various types tobacco varieties that are used to make cigars and that most cigarettes are made from blonde tobacco...and before anyone asks, no, I don't know if there's a brunette or red-headed tobacco...:skew:

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Inhaling cigar smoke is like 1000x worse than inhaling cigarette smoke (can't find the study but it's on one of the boards somewhere).

DO NOT inhale cigar smoke! (I smoke cigs and never inhale cigar smoke)

Please...stop
~M

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
What they all said. Plus, the once I've done it (forget which cigar, but it was a small one) I about puked and passed out at the same time. And I smoked cigs since I was 12. If you can handle it...wow. I don't recommend it though.