What's new

Where did the what are you working, finished

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
On thread go, I looked everywhere and can't find the cotton picking thing anywhere.
I didn't feel like getting soaked hunting today so I went to the shop and roughed out a Delaware County screw-tip powder horn. It is a little over 17" long and 2 1/2" across the end cap. The screw tip is turned out of another hunk of cow horn, threaded and screwed on. The end cap is turned from mahogany and will be held in place with small wooden pins when I am completely done. Now I have to spend about 15 hours engraving it, even though Deleware screw tip horn were rarely engraved, folks aren't interested if horns are left plain.

image.jpg image.jpg

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Holy Hell Griz all that comes to mind is WOW just WOW
Well thanks man. Been hornin for 20 years now, pretty sure I am over 1000 horns, been busy this year especially at the art gallery in Gettysburg. They have been steeling fairly good this year.
Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words about my humble work. I'll post pics as I work on it....

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
3/5 king, they are for carrying black powder for flintlock rifles. My sales are mainly to reenactors and art collectors, historical art collectors, mostly French and Indian war to rev war.
My average price is around $270.00 but it have between 30-40 + hours in each of them. It costs around $50-60 in raw materials not including electric, sandpaper, files, .... You know, so I think I average around $4 an hour and then good ole unca Sam robs 25% right off the top, sooooo, why do I make them... Cause it's fun.
I have a website, but I hate to post it. I ain't one for drumming up business, showin off or letting any of you pot lockers get my address..... Hahahaha

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
3/5 king, they are for carrying black powder for flintlock rifles. My sales are mainly to reenactors and art collectors, historical art collectors, mostly French and Indian war to rev war.
My average price is around $270.00 but it have between 30-40 + hours in each of them. It costs around $50-60 in raw materials not including electric, sandpaper, files, .... You know, so I think I average around $4 an hour and then good ole unca Sam robs 25% right off the top, sooooo, why do I make them... Cause it's fun.
I have a website, but I hate to post it. I ain't one for drumming up business, showin off or letting any of you pot lockers get my address..... Hahahaha
I say post the address, I'd love to check it out. Beautiful work!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I finished the engraving/scrimshaw. It will look primitive, that's because it's supposed to. I take my designs from original horns that were made from the 18th century. It will be off to the inking, dyeing and assembly and then aged to look old. It will post pics when I get it done. Hope I ain't boring you all too much.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Damn that is cool!.... You ever gonna make these more available? And not for $4 bucks an hour! That is some serious artwork there!