What's new

Where did you start?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm sure each of us have a story to tell. I had many swishers and such through college. I was introduced at a residents party by my attending to real cigars. I believe the cigar was an ashton but who knows. Katietilly and I smoked some good cigars that night and the passion for cigars was on. I had to learn more about this passion. I started with Onyx and punch to graduate to the olivia classico. I loved that olivio. I then found the devil site known as cbid. I was then a gurkha graycliff freak. Then a FOG introduced me to CC through an initiation process set up to make me sick as as a dog. I didnt show my sickness through three CC in a row. But i can tell you I wanted to hurl. But in that process I realized the power of the cc. I had one source and I ran with it. From there i ran down the slippery slope to where i am now. How did you come to the process??

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I used to be a cigarette smoker, and about 5 years or so ago at a monthly social club meeting, a fellow club member came up to me afterwords (while I was outside smoking a cigarette) and offered me and my buddy each a cigar.

Well my buddy was an occasional cigar smoker (meaning he had a desk humi that sometimes had cigars in it, and sometimes didn't) and he jumped up-and-down at the chance because he was being offered his favorite: an Arturo Fuente cigar. I didn't know heads or tails about cigars, so I took the other, a cheaper Padron (looking back Im' sure it was probably a 2000 or 3000).

About a year and a half later I finally quit smoking cigarettes...but at the same time, my buddy started to really get ramped up on cigars (meaning weekly trips to the local b&m store to replenish the desktop humi). Well after about 6 months of not smoking ciggys, I felt comfortable enough with myself to smoke a cigar. I mean hey, you don't inhale these things, they can't possibly be addictive, right?

:hysterica

It's several years later now;

- I've got two desktop humis, both are 99% full
- I've got another empty desktop humi sitting on the floor, ready to go into service
- My buddies and I are building a Fridge-a-dor out of a dorm-room sized unit
- I drag my wife down the cooler isles at Target and Kroger
- I wonder WTF happend to www.barginhumidors.com 'cause they had a unit I liked
- I've spent over $1000 at CI since January; they keep filling my mailbox with catalogs
- I've spent over $400 on CCs this month alone
- My wife is going to Vegas in 3 weeks; I asked her to bring me back a Casa Fuente cigar
- I just got a new job, and the first thing I did after leaving the building with an offer letter in hand was to find where the closest b&m store was; it's two blocks away. I'm still undecided if that's a good thing or not. :grin:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Havana Honey walking to my hooch from Brigade HQ in March06 (I am a newbie!!!).

Someone offered and for one reason or another I said yes. Its funny I've never used dip (which is rampant in the Army), chewing tabbacy, cigarettes, or anything of the sort.

Bought some ISOMs at a duty free store while on R&R and that sealed the deal. Now I'm searching for ways to get my fix.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I used to be a cigarette smoker, and about 5 years or so ago at a monthly social club meeting, a fellow club member came up to me afterwords (while I was outside smoking a cigarette) and offered me and my buddy each a cigar.

Well my buddy was an occasional cigar smoker (meaning he had a desk humi that sometimes had cigars in it, and sometimes didn't) and he jumped up-and-down at the chance because he was being offered his favorite: an Arturo Fuente cigar. I didn't know heads or tails about cigars, so I took the other, a cheaper Padron (looking back Im' sure it was probably a 2000 or 3000).

About a year and a half later I finally quit smoking cigarettes...but at the same time, my buddy started to really get ramped up on cigars (meaning weekly trips to the local b&m store to replenish the desktop humi). Well after about 6 months of not smoking ciggys, I felt comfortable enough with myself to smoke a cigar. I mean hey, you don't inhale these things, they can't possibly be addictive, right?

:hysterica

It's several years later now;

- I've got two desktop humis, both are 99% full
- I've got another empty desktop humi sitting on the floor, ready to go into service
- My buddies and I are building a Fridge-a-dor out of a dorm-room sized unit
- I drag my wife down the cooler isles at Target and Kroger
- I wonder WTF happend to www.barginhumidors.com 'cause they had a unit I liked
- I've spent over $1000 at CI since January; they keep filling my mailbox with catalogs
- I've spent over $400 on CCs this month alone
- My wife is going to Vegas in 3 weeks; I asked her to bring me back a Casa Fuente cigar
- I just got a new job, and the first thing I did after leaving the building with an offer letter in hand was to find where the closest b&m store was; it's two blocks away. I'm still undecided if that's a good thing or not. :grin:
You have to spell it correctly to get there! Sorry Bro...couldn't resist! :grin:

www.bargainhumidors.com

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I used to go out with this hawaiian chick 11-12 years ago, her boss smoked cigars so she got into them. I did casually, and she was more of a social smoker. What did it for me was he gave me an Opus and a Partagas Lucy to smoke over a weeknd...I remember thinking that's a sweet pastime, but a bit expensive. $25.00 for an opus at the time was more than I could afford considering the hefty pot purchases I was making back then.

I've been smoking cigars off and on for the last ten years with the past 2-3 really serious about the hobby.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I started with cuban cigars while on a cruise. I picked them up in Cozumel. I believe it was a Partagas of some sort and some other tubo, may'be an RyJ. After the cruise I joined a couple forums and started to make weekly trips to the B&M. Haven't went back to the B&M in about 1/2 a year :scratchhe :rofl:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Let's see. First ever was a swisher in College to celebrate something or other at a AFROTC function. Years later, after moving to Tampa and starting work as a telemarketer/inside sales guy I got caught up in the first big "cigar boom" with some of the other sales guys. We would frequent a local B&M/Cigarbar once a week and I always enjoyed the cigars. After that I snagged an old, beat up desktop from my Father in Law but never was able to get it to regulate (seal was crappy I figured out years later) so gave up on it. Then about 2 years ago I was in Ybor City with the wife and as I was dragging her through the B&Ms there we came across one that was selling a Desktop that I fell in love with. She allowed me to grab it and a few smokes to start filling it.

From there I started my fateful internet search and stumbled on CigarWeekly. Everything went downhill from there. JR Cigars, Cigarbid, Bombings, constant perusing of the sales from other brothers and then one day a bomb of a single, unbanded cigar around Christmas time. It's been dark ever since. :scratchhe

Now almost two years later that desktop from Ybor has been sold off, another desktop I purchased is sitting in my den waiting for me to finally get it to my uncle and I have a 32 count Haier that's well on it's way to being stuffed.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was in college there was an ad in a magazine for Thompson's, something like "20 premium cigars for $19.99". They were dog rockets, but I ordered some decent sticks out of the catalog that came with the sampler. Back then the Dominican industry was just taking off and the abundance of good NC's was nothing like today's. If a person wanted to buy habanos, it usually involved a fax machine and the Canary Islands or Switzerland.

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
When I was in college there was an ad in a magazine for Thompson's, something like "20 premium cigars for $19.99". They were dog rockets, but I ordered some decent sticks out of the catalog that came with the sampler. Back then the Dominican industry was just taking off and the abundance of good NC's was nothing like today's. If a person wanted to buy habanos, it usually involved a fax machine and the Canary Islands or Switzerland.

Me too basically...seen one of thier ads somewhere and ordered a cat..Took me almost a year to finally order something lol..A guy I work with was smoking a Swisher sweet and I said have ya ever tried Thompsons? I showed him the cat I had at the time...and then he went and found cbid..showed it to me..and I decided if ima gonna start why not at least start out right lol and ordered the 90 rated sampler lol..then rob hooked me up with some killer stuff and now that the wife is gone ima work some doubles to fill up my new 300 count humi I got coming that she let me get lol...I took a chance on a 5 pack perdomo aged maduros last nite so ima let those sit for the most part...almost picked up some dos capas as well but since i havent smoked the one rob sent me I will hold off till I do..never know i may not like it lol...but as I said before none of the ones rob sent were/are bad so now I am hooked lol..len

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
October 2003 the wife and I were gifted a couple NC RyJ tubos from a friend as a house-warming gift.

At that time I had smoked maybe two cigars previously.

Well, those two cigars sat in the junk drawer until June of 2004 when we finally went out back and smoked them...and believe it or not...we both enjoyed them. (Even after 8 months in the junk drawer).

After that we would by a couple sticks at the B&M on Saturday nights and smoke them together. For a while it was a family affair with her sister and aunt and a family friend, John_N_Va, joining us.

So, we did this for about four months until, for some reason, I started signing up on the cigar boards. First one was CA where I got involved in a PIF with Segundo22 and he sent me the link to Weekly.

ONE WEEK after I signed up at Cigar Weekly I smoked my first two Cubans thanks to Lfg2nrg and Xrundog when we met up for a smoke in DC.

Before that I used to smoke Fuente Hemingways and the Davidoff Gran Cru series.

Ever since that meet up with Thom and Tim I have been smoking Cubans exclusively...NCs never tasted the same again and were no longer enjoyable.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Back in college bought the tester box with humidor of Thompsons for $19.99. 30 cigars as I remember of various sizes. A buddy and I were setting up a two month trail ride to cover the four corners states and write articles for various horse mags to pay the way. Ah the college days. We needed cigars because that was manly. The Thompsons were actually pretty good for the time (mid-70's). From there to the Macanuudos and Partagas as I began to enjoy , the quality cigars. In the 90's I found the boutique brands of CAO and other of that ilk and though I had arrived. The intro to the darkside. Life just keeps getting better.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got started into cigars when I was in Gatlinburg,TN last spring. Stopped by the Gatlinburlier, first tobacco shop I had been in. I bought a tin of the Havana Honeys and smoked a few while I was there and enjoyed them. So I began trying other cigars and got hooked.:inlove:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got started into cigars when I was in Gatlinburg,TN last spring. Stopped by the Gatlinburlier, first tobacco shop I had been in. I bought a tin of the Havana Honeys and smoked a few while I was there and enjoyed them. So I began trying other cigars and got hooked.:inlove:
I made this little list of cigars that I have smoked/have in the humi. Hopefully it'll be about 200 items long soon, LOL :thumbsup:

1. Don Rafael by Davidoff
2. Tatiana Honey
3. Punch Punch
4. AF Curlyhead/Curlyhead Deluxe
5. CAO Brazilia
6. Onyx Reserve
7. Carlos Torano Exodus 1959
8. CT 1916 Cameroon
9. Quorum
10. Rocky Patel Edge Corojo
11. Cuesta-Rey Centenario
12. Havana Honeys (Tins)
13. Tatiana Exotics (Tins) Nightcap and WalkingDream
14. Ghurka Doble Maduro
15. Black Pearl (red)
16. Puros Indios
17. Tierra Del Sol Maduro Robusto
18. Por Larranaga Habana
19. 826 Low-Age
20. DonRex
21. Thompson Vintage Speciale
22. El Camino Dominicano
23. Huppmann 1844

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Started funneling bundle cigars my dad had into an off shore account. My buddy and I would smoke them in the woods. I must have been around 15. Went on hiatus only smoking from 17-20 occasionaly. Got into it big around towards my 21st

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
1978, Fort McClellan, Al., basic training, it was our first weekend off, we were all drunk, smoking Swisher Sweets. When I got out of the Army, I started going to the local smoke shops, pretty much wandering aimlessly from one brand to another, every once in a while coming across something that would grab my attention. However, I would continuessly be dissappointed by inconsistency. I finally settled on the Arturo Fuente line until 1998, when I purchased a box of Punch DC's. That's when it really began for me.
Later, Bob

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wife brought back a sampler of cigars from a honduras mission trip. First one was a La Fontana. Been hooked ever since. It's been good for me, since I can remind her of that when she eyes my email order conf's.