What's new

Where does that pepper kick come from?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So we were hanging out tonight (sean, sdshark, bdrupe) and had an interesting question come up. On a lot of cigars (especially it seems DPG, Tats, etc.) you get a blast of pepper in the first part of the 1/3 of the cigar. Often this fades to the background or disappears completely throughout the rest of the smoke, but its almost undeniably there. So... the question is:

How do cigar blenders create that initial pepper blast in the cigar flavor profile?

I've heard different things about where the pepper notes come from in terms of tobacco (younger tobaccos, aging process, growing conditions / soil, sun vs. shade grown, nicotine concentration, improper humidity, dark vs. light wrappers, etc.). But, in a long-filler cigar, the pepper should be there throughout if it is just about including a "more peppery" tobacco in the blend, not just in the first part of the 1/3 of the cigar.

So there is the conundrum and question.

Take me to school!

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Even though it is a long filler cigar, it doesn't mean that it can't have smaller pieces of leaf to make the blend a specific way. Such as placing a smaller piece of Ligero at the foot.

I thought I had a video from the My Father Cigar factory tour I went on a few years ago. But I can't find it. Take a look at this video I found, specifically around the 1:12 mark. You will see part of the filler folded back, and another smaller piece of filler put in its place.

[video=youtube;59OIaOQMJDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OIaOQMJDc[/video]

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Maybe this is a bit amateur of a response, but could it be in your lighting process? Could the process being used to light the cigar be scorching the tobacco creating a harsh - possibly peppery - note? Not sure, just conjecture.

With that said, I think kockroach has the right answer. Obviously no bunchero, but I've thought I've seen them position the leaf in such a way to produce this in some cases.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Is it possible that our palates adjust to the pepper so that it is not as noticeable?

I've also wondered if the pepper blast prepares your palate to enjoy the flavors more.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This makes the most sense to me. That was what I had originally thought - that they had the spicier tobaccos pressed in the first third. I think the video shows it well in the bunching that you can add smaller "long-filler" pieces to the overall blend. Thanks kockroach!

Even though it is a long filler cigar, it doesn't mean that it can't have smaller pieces of leaf to make the blend a specific way. Such as placing a smaller piece of Ligero at the foot.

I thought I had a video from the My Father Cigar factory tour I went on a few years ago. But I can't find it. Take a look at this video I found, specifically around the 1:12 mark. You will see part of the filler folded back, and another smaller piece of filler put in its place.

[video=youtube;59OIaOQMJDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59OIaOQMJDc[/video]

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Is it possible that our palates adjust to the pepper so that it is not as noticeable?

I've also wondered if the pepper blast prepares your palate to enjoy the flavors more.
I've also wondered if the pepper blast prepares your palate to enjoy the flavors more. You took the words right out of my mouth. I think that is precisely what it is there for. I can now say (at least in this instance) I think like a rocket scientist! Haha.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard from several sources that they add smaller pieces of leaves and even stems to the bunch as they roll it. I think that the pepper comes from the particular tobacco leaf used and the variation from it's placement within the bunch.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Black pepper is sprinkled at the foot of the smoke as its being rolled
And its there for your own good:

Inhalation of vapor from black pepper extract reduces smoking withdrawal symptoms.
Rose JE, Behm FM.
SourceNicotine Research Laboratory (151-S), V.A. Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705.

Abstract
Previous studies have suggested that sensory cues associated with cigarette smoking can suppress certain smoking withdrawal symptoms, including craving for cigarettes. In this study we investigated the subjective effects of a cigarette substitute delivering a vapor of black pepper essential oil. Forty-eight cigarette smokers participated in a 3-h session conducted after overnight deprivation from smoking. Subjects were randomly assigned to one of three conditions: one group of smokers puffed on a device that delivered a vapor from essential oil of black pepper; a second group puffed on the device with a mint/menthol cartridge, and a third group used a device containing an empty cartridge. Subjects puffed and inhaled ad libitum from the device throughout the session during which no smoking was allowed. Reported craving for cigarettes was significantly reduced in the pepper condition relative to each of the two control conditions. In addition, negative affect and somatic symptoms of anxiety were alleviated in the pepper condition relative to the unflavored placebo. The intensity of sensations in the chest was also significantly higher for the pepper condition. These results support the view that respiratory tract sensations are important in alleviating smoking withdrawal symptoms. Cigarette substitutes delivering pepper constituents may prove useful in smoking cessation treatment

Bottom line- Stay away from tat boris. its a trap, i.e. laced with mint.

:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looks like this is where all paths lead. It makes sense completely.

I have heard from several sources that they add smaller pieces of leaves and even stems to the bunch as they roll it. I think that the pepper comes from the particular tobacco leaf used and the variation from it's placement within the bunch.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow. Who would've thought DPG was just "looking out" for us! Haha. That is a fascinating study. Thanks for the info.

Inhalation of vapor from black pepper extract reduces smoking withdrawal symptoms.
Rose JE, Behm FM.
SourceNicotine Research Laboratory (151-S), V.A. Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705.

Abstract
Previous studies have suggested that sensory cues associated with cigarette smoking can suppress certain smoking withdrawal symptoms, including craving for cigarettes. In this study we investigated the subjective effects of a cigarette substitute delivering a vapor of black pepper essential oil. Forty-eight cigarette smokers participated in a 3-h session conducted after overnight deprivation from smoking. Subjects were randomly assigned to one of three conditions: one group of smokers puffed on a device that delivered a vapor from essential oil of black pepper; a second group puffed on the device with a mint/menthol cartridge, and a third group used a device containing an empty cartridge. Subjects puffed and inhaled ad libitum from the device throughout the session during which no smoking was allowed. Reported craving for cigarettes was significantly reduced in the pepper condition relative to each of the two control conditions. In addition, negative affect and somatic symptoms of anxiety were alleviated in the pepper condition relative to the unflavored placebo. The intensity of sensations in the chest was also significantly higher for the pepper condition. These results support the view that respiratory tract sensations are important in alleviating smoking withdrawal symptoms. Cigarette substitutes delivering pepper constituents may prove useful in smoking cessation treatment

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

Rose JE, Behm FM.

Abstract

nice find