What's new

Where have I been? An update....

sleepydoc

Gas Passer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
JC,

I'm very sorry for your loss.

As a physician, and as a father who lost a child after a very extended illness, I have been on both sides, so I know what you are talking about. It is very painful.

I hope you and your family are able to find healing.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I thought I'd give you guys an update on my life since early March of this year when I dropped of the BOTL radar. I have lurked a little bit here and there but haven't contributed much if anything since March.

In early March my Mother went in the hospital to have here spleen removed. She was supposed to be in the hospital for 5 or 6 days and ended up being in there for just over 5 months. In that time I was the main family contact with the hospital and was there just about everyday. My Mom had complications after the surgery that wore her down to the point where she kept catching the infections that run rampant in hospitals. It was a very tough struggle for her.

Twice she got to the point where we thought she would make it home again only to get another case of c-diff or other infection that brought her back to square one. 3-4 weeks ago the doctors finally told us that my Mother had multiple organ failure and would not be getting any better.

On August 3rd she was put on Hospice and she passed away on August 12th. Her funeral was last Thursday. My family lost a great wife and Mother. We miss her dearly!

If I can give you guys any advice on our hospital ordeal it would be to stay on top of every little detail when a loved one is in the hospital. Start on day one! With the state of healthcare in this country shortcuts are taken and information is not forwarded to family unless questions are asked. Keep notes and don't be afraid of asking anyone anything about the situation. Never assume that anything is happening because there is a good chance that is is not. It's sad to say but the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" phrase applies to hospitals as much as anywhere else. The best advice of all would be to stay out of hospitals if you can but I know that's hard to do.

So now I look forward to getting back to the things I like to do and the BOTL along with smoking cigars is at the top of the list. So look out for me, as I recharge my physical and emotional batteries, to get back in the swing shortly.

Thanks
John
John,
My condolences are with you and your family brother.

It is great to have you back!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
JC, as with everyone else, I'm very saddened by your loss. You are absolutely right about staying on top of things with someones care while in a hospital. It is our responsibility to be as informed as possible regarding our care or the care of a loved one. My wife is demanding of information from healthcare providers. Not in a rude way by any means. But she will absolutely not be "blown off" by a doctor or nurse.

Take each day one at a time and know that we are here for you and I hope we can help to make you feel better in some way.

Kevin

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been away since wed. afternoon on some long overdue R&R. It was great except for one thing, I forgot my cigars and was in the middle of nowhere to get more!!!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers guys, I really appreciate it!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Glad you got some R&R! I hate when I forget my cigars. Make me appreciate them that much more when I finally get my hands on them