What's new

Where to start on my neat scotch journey ?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So never really been into scotch or drinking anything neat really, I've always drank bourbons eg blantons , wild turkey, makers mark , jack Daniels jimbeam Canadian club captain Morgan all with coke or dry , but recently my brother In law got me tasting some neat scotches. I've tried jw red,black , double black , gold , blue. Jamison , Chivas 12, glenlivet 12 . Problem is though I've already being half cut and don't remember what I have liked Hahahaha.

Don't really know much at all about scotches . So after some info about single malts , mixed /blends, oaks, age etc . Anyone care to enlighten me ? Wouldn't mind a decent starting point where I can develop from there .

Realize it's pretty subjective as cigars are about taste preferences but just trying to not make any already made mistakes and waste time .

Oh had a double Jamison whiskey sour the other night and I say what a drink !!!

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I personally would stay away from blends stay with single malts. Glenlivet isn't a bad choice for the money. My poison of choice is McCallan it can be pricey but that comes with the territory of scotch lol.

It also depends on if how much peat you like in your scotch!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thx for the info man, peat being the smokey component I'm with ya there just had a look on whiskey .com pretty informative place. Feel more confident already . Now let the tasting begin !!!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Laphroig 10, Lagavulin, Ardbeg (liquid campfire), Kilchoman Machir Bay, and Jura Superstition. If you like smoke or hints of smoke, this is the list for you.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
to your point, selecting the perfect scotch is pretty subjective but for what its worth, here are some recommendations:

1. Macallan, Highland Park, Glenmorangie - all three of these brands would be a great starting point, highly approachable and at a good price point

2. Laguvulin 16 - a classic peaty, smoky whisky

3. Suntory Yamazaki 12 or 18 - if you want to explore japanese whisky, these are a good start

---

other than that, give the Distiller - Whisky Companion app a try, it may help point you in the right direction as well.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Since my scotch, rum, bourbon neat journey started recently (about a year ago... maybe) I can tell you one thing is certain... if you ever thought the cigar world was overwhelming wait till you get into scotch or whisky (no "e").

Daily drinker for me: JW Black, Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Original are all great daily drinkers for me. In the last few months as I have started tasting more I drink less but I drink better (also a tag line form the Cig Fed podcast). I also learned that pairing scotch with cigars, though popular, is pretty damn hard to get right.
Scotches Ive really enjoyed, own and will sip on just to enjoy: Johnny Blue, Mortlach Rare Old, Hibiki 12, Hibiki Japanese Harmony, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Dalwhinie Distillers Edition, Glenmoranie Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'Oro and was recently gifted a bottle of Auchenstoshan American Oak.

If you research those most are on the sweeter side or have a sweet/spicy component and very low on peat. I don't like peat but I do like smoke. To me peat gives that antiseptic flavor but a non peat smoke can be awesome. I get that wood smoke flavor form the JW Blue and a bit for the Dalwhinnie and Mac 12 mentioned above.

There are many many others I have sampled and due to availability I just don't grab them. I feel like I can go to the grocery store and grab a bottle of Macallan or Glenfiidch (both are excellent) any time so my money seems to go to the pricier (I try to buy it on sale) or more HTF libations.

I can also tell you that no matter what anyone else says you just need to taste and make notes as you go. It will guide you on your journey and help you find the ones you like. Every so often go back and have one you didn't like, you'd be surprised at how your palate changes over time and what you once hated you may enjoy.

You will also find that within a lineage of scotch (say Mcallan) you will have a 10,12,15,18 etc.... you'd expect that they just get smoother the older they are and that is NOT the case. Its the norm but there are also flavor nuances that come into play that play a huge role in the finished product.
Then you get into multiple barrel aging and/or finish aging in other types of barely. Balvenie Caribbean Cask is Rum barrel finished so it carries a slight sweetness similar to rum. This makes it a nice pairing for Cigars but I wish it was a little smoother as the finish is long on that one.

Three component to think about when tasting or taking notes...
Nose - what does your sniffer pick up.
Palate - whats does your taster taste.
Finish - how does it end and how long does it last.

You will find that the move also changes if you add a few drops of water. This is another debate. Man... drink your booze the way you like to but if you are tasting try it both ways.

When all is said and done I would suggest drinking no more than a couple varieties at a sitting (assuming you are doing it to try new whisky's) and take notes as best as you can. There are no wrong words to use as long as you know what you mean.
I like to go to sites with professional reviews after making my notes to see how on/off my nose and palate are. It helps me when I need to explain to someone else what I like or don't like when looking to buy a new bottle.

...and when all is said and done... ENJOY!

I don't know if this is allowed but I ran across a couple good sites for tasting sizes. They aren't cheap but you get to try.
Masterofmalt (great reviews here too)
Flavia (this is something I found on FB and seems to be a subscription based thing).

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thx for all the info fellas got plenty of names in there that were already on my list and now some grouped to make it even easier to separate eg smokey spice sweet . I'll download the app and checkout sites too . Much appreciated...... You bloody piss heads hahaha

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since my scotch, rum, bourbon neat journey started recently (about a year ago... maybe) I can tell you one thing is certain... if you ever thought the cigar world was overwhelming wait till you get into scotch or whisky (no "e").

Daily drinker for me: JW Black, Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Original are all great daily drinkers for me. In the last few months as I have started tasting more I drink less but I drink better (also a tag line form the Cig Fed podcast). I also learned that pairing scotch with cigars, though popular, is pretty damn hard to get right.
Scotches Ive really enjoyed, own and will sip on just to enjoy: Johnny Blue, Mortlach Rare Old, Hibiki 12, Hibiki Japanese Harmony, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Dalwhinie Distillers Edition, Glenmoranie Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'Oro and was recently gifted a bottle of Auchenstoshan American Oak.

If you research those most are on the sweeter side or have a sweet/spicy component and very low on peat. I don't like peat but I do like smoke. To me peat gives that antiseptic flavor but a non peat smoke can be awesome. I get that wood smoke flavor form the JW Blue and a bit for the Dalwhinnie and Mac 12 mentioned above.

There are many many others I have sampled and due to availability I just don't grab them. I feel like I can go to the grocery store and grab a bottle of Macallan or Glenfiidch (both are excellent) any time so my money seems to go to the pricier (I try to buy it on sale) or more HTF libations.

I can also tell you that no matter what anyone else says you just need to taste and make notes as you go. It will guide you on your journey and help you find the ones you like. Every so often go back and have one you didn't like, you'd be surprised at how your palate changes over time and what you once hated you may enjoy.

You will also find that within a lineage of scotch (say Mcallan) you will have a 10,12,15,18 etc.... you'd expect that they just get smoother the older they are and that is NOT the case. Its the norm but there are also flavor nuances that come into play that play a huge role in the finished product.
Then you get into multiple barrel aging and/or finish aging in other types of barely. Balvenie Caribbean Cask is Rum barrel finished so it carries a slight sweetness similar to rum. This makes it a nice pairing for Cigars but I wish it was a little smoother as the finish is long on that one.

Three component to think about when tasting or taking notes...
Nose - what does your sniffer pick up.
Palate - whats does your taster taste.
Finish - how does it end and how long does it last.

You will find that the move also changes if you add a few drops of water. This is another debate. Man... drink your booze the way you like to but if you are tasting try it both ways.

When all is said and done I would suggest drinking no more than a couple varieties at a sitting (assuming you are doing it to try new whisky's) and take notes as best as you can. There are no wrong words to use as long as you know what you mean.
I like to go to sites with professional reviews after making my notes to see how on/off my nose and palate are. It helps me when I need to explain to someone else what I like or don't like when looking to buy a new bottle.

...and when all is said and done... ENJOY!

I don't know if this is allowed but I ran across a couple good sites for tasting sizes. They aren't cheap but you get to try.
Masterofmalt (great reviews here too)
Flavia (this is something I found on FB and seems to be a subscription based thing).
Appreciate your time in the detailed post mate

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So waltzed into my local Dan murphys started walking the scotch isle and a lady comes up hey mate know what ya after? Nope, got a list and seeing how I go. I'll solve your problem she says come with me . Off we trot to her tasting bar . Plonks 5 bottles down and away I went . The list :

glenfiddich 15
Belvennie double wood 12 $85
Talisker 10
Nant $150
Mortlach $115

Can't remember the price in some or the age but this has given me a good starting point.

Once I grabbed a bottle and she sees me with it applauded me on my selection I introduced myself (bit late) she says I'm here mon-fri anytime u fee like a tipple on the house come and see me . Boom free scotch for me what say twice a week to start Hahahaha

Appreciate the suggestions fellas all are on my to try list

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
+1 on the Talisker, I visited the distillery a few years back on the isle of skye. It's been a favorite ever since.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Talisker is my absolute favorite, hands down. Still trying to locate some cheap Distiller's Edition, as I hear it's worth it.

Personally, I would say start with Talisker as I think it represents everything one might look for in a whisky. Then you could go Lagavulin for bolder, Laphroig or Bowmore for more peat, or some of the Highland stuff for smoother and a bit less intense, etc.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OUr tastes tend to be personal....when I looked for certain types of libations I went to the big box liquor stores where they have the airplane sized bottles...for $2 you can buy a dozen and try them out...take notes and choose YOUR favorite instead of having us tell you what to choose. Last time I checked it was my taste buds that told me what I liked.