What's new

Whew

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So I was diagnosed with borderline hypertension two weeks ago and was put on a pill to help it out. Well last night I believe it worked too well driving my BP to bottom out thus making me blackout! So one of the floor supervisors drove me home. I figured it had to be the medicine never have had spells like that before and once I elevated my feet over my head I felt tons better. I hate that tinglely tunnel vison feeling glad that's over and obvisouly called my doctor before I take another pill. Any of you had an issue with a hypertension suppressant?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hey, good timing. What meds did your doctor put you on? I just started lisinopril yesterday morning and I was warned of standing up too fast or turning my head too quick.

So far in just day two I've already noticed the light-headedness...I don't like it. I'm supposed to take one pill a day for a month and record my BP twice a week. After a month my doctor is going to evaluate and decide a long-term plan.

FYI, I get my BP issues from my mom and it took her years to finally zero in on a BP medication that worked for her. She's a tiny person and the meds caused major swings in her BP (too low, then too high). She passed out a few times from various medications.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I was at 194/95 last week. Earlier this week I was back down to my "normal" 150-165 range. I haven't checked it since starting my pill yesterday though.

Matt, what did you switch to after lisinopril?

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The cough comes from ACE inhibitors ... they make bp meds without them in there. Might ask to switch if you get the cough, and especially if they are making you lightheaded.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ugh. I hate this BP crap. My mom is top shape at 54 years old. Works out daily, eats like a rabbit, never touches salt, and has doctors flip out every time they check on her.

I'm young, great shape, and also [fairly] careful with what I eat but apparently about to have a stroke any minute. WTF?

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
there was a discussion a while back about "what is high blood pressure"? one thing you might consider is that these are numbers that a group determined were a good optimal average.
there also was a time when they decided to change that number. guess what happened then? hundreds of thousands of people that did not have high blood pressure the day before, now did. and what needs to happen next? blood pressure medication!
things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm......

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
there was a discussion a while back about "what is high blood pressure"? one thing you might consider is that these are numbers that a group determined were a good optimal average.
there also was a time when they decided to change that number. guess what happened then? hundreds of thousands of people that did not have high blood pressure the day before, now did. and what needs to happen next? blood pressure medication!
things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm......
Yup, exactly. I've been seeing this in my internet research. Granted, my 195 spike probably wasn't good but my normal range was always high. They keep saying it's a silent killer and there's stress on my heart/arteries so they'll wear quicker. Somehow I don't see how long-term meds are any better for me.

I really hate when numbers are based on a group. If you don't fit those specified ranges, you're considered at risk. Example: My mom has a normal body temperature of 96.7. Obviously that's not normal but it's normal for her. So what? Not everyone is the same...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was diagnosed with borderline hypertension two weeks ago and was put on a pill to help it out. Well last night I believe it worked too well driving my BP to bottom out thus making me blackout! So one of the floor supervisors drove me home. I figured it had to be the medicine never have had spells like that before and once I elevated my feet over my head I felt tons better. I hate that tinglely tunnel vison feeling glad that's over and obvisouly called my doctor before I take another pill. Any of you had an issue with a hypertension suppressant?
Another bad effect is that some take away your libido. Don't know for you but after losing weight I was put off pills.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hey usmcpurcell, since taking the lisinopril have you noticed a metallic taste in your mouth at all? I have that plus my front teeth are sensitive and feel kind of "minty"

I also have that dry cough the doctor warned me about...

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
No metallic taste here maybe a little cough though I went off it until I go to the doctor in a week on top of feeling weak from that episode I got food poisoning on top of that last night so this weekend has been stellar let me tell you!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Yup, exactly. I've been seeing this in my internet research. Granted, my 195 spike probably wasn't good but my normal range was always high. They keep saying it's a silent killer and there's stress on my heart/arteries so they'll wear quicker. Somehow I don't see how long-term meds are any better for me.

I really hate when numbers are based on a group. If you don't fit those specified ranges, you're considered at risk. Example: My mom has a normal body temperature of 96.7. Obviously that's not normal but it's normal for her. So what? Not everyone is the same...
10 more points and you would of been treated for a hypertensive crisis. You are no where near normal at those numbers.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was on atenolol and dropped 70 pounds running. If I hadn't gone to give blood I would have probably died when I passed out on the car. Gotta watch the dosage.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Good luck bro. At least lisinopril isn't gonna break the bank! Some of the stuff on the market for hypertension are a real pain in the wallet. Hopefully the doc gets you dosed properly, and everything gets taken care of.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I take Alteneolol and a beta blocker. If I could drop the 70 extra pounds I am carrying I would not need it. HMMM..Maybe I found the weight you lost Chuck.

By the way glad to see you are in good health now. It does take determination and willpower. I do seem to have an issue with the willpower part.