What's new

Which Camera?

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Hey guys. Im in the market for a budget bridge camera. I dont want to spend a lot (at all really) and dont need anything crazy. The 2 that I am looking at are :

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S4200-Digital-Camera/dp/B006T7QWGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344361049&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+finepix+s4200

and

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-L120-Wide-Angle-Black/dp/B004M8SVGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344361123&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+l120

Now I can get both for virtually the same price. I like the Fuji, because it has a few manual controls and a viewfinder. The Nikon, is rated a little better on consumer reports for pictures and video, but I dont know that I will do much video with it. Downside to the Nikon is no viewfinder and no manual controls. But when I really think about it, I dont know how much I would use the manual controls. Like I said, im not looking for much more than what these have to offer, and for about $150, I probably cant go wrong with either. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these or experience with these? Or, if there is another right around that price range that you recommend? Any help, or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks gents.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My 2 cents

I'm a Nikon guy and the Nicor lenses are pretty good. I've got an older (4 or 5 years) Nikon DSLR and love it. I don't have a view finder on mine ads have never missed it. I use the LCD to review photos though.

I do use my manual controls almost always (under expose a 1/4 or 1/2 stop) to get a little better saturation, then adjust as needed in the computer. I guess it depends on how you plan on using it and for what. Only you know that part, but i vote Nikon...

Most likely you won't be going wrong with either choice if you get the features you plan on using. It will be personal preference.

Good luck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a DIEHARD Nikon user, but for point and shoots I always recommend any Canon elph series.
I'm with you on this. Nikon P&S aren't very good.

OP: You can consider compact mirrorless cameras like the Panasonic GF5. If you get it together with the 14-42mm power-zoom it's smaller than most bridge cameras, but you sacrifice manual controls though stuff like aperture control, shutter speed and exposure correction are available through the dials. If you like the manual controls and don't mind a camera somewhat larger than the GF5, you can go for the Panasonic G1X. Having inter-changeable lenses lets your camera grow with you.

Other fine cameras you can consider are the Fuji X10 which is a high performance compact with a large sensor, and the Canon G1X which has a sensor that's even bigger than the one on the GF5 (generally gives you better image quality under low light - though lens quality plays a huge part too)

These are all way beyond the $150 but I think you will find that saving up for them is worthwhile.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Wow! That is really awesome of you Josh. However, I cannot let you do that. Perhaps there is something I can trade you for?
On its way today. And if anything is sent back I will take that as a declaration of war :)

I think I have used it once or twice not worth sitting on my desk collecting dust would rather see someone get alot of use out of it.

IPH

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Wow! That is really awesome of you Josh. However, I cannot let you do that. Perhaps there is something I can trade you for?
On its way today. And if anything is sent back I will take that as a declaration of war :)

I think I have used it once or twice not worth sitting on my desk collecting dust would rather see someone get alot of use out of it.
Well done brother, he may not return fire, but others may....muwhahaha

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0

Haha, well youd better ready the troops! Honestly cant thank you enough. Really looking forward to it.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0

Well done brother, he may not return fire, but others may....muwhahaha
Just remember I know where you work!

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Well Rasch sent me the camera. And he sent me some killers sticks. All of which I have yet to sample. I cannot thank you enough, Josh. I pulled the camera out as soon as I got home and used it at my daughters cheerleading game. Worked wonderfully. My wife said thank you as well. I will be sending your package next week, like it or not!! Just waiting on a couple of items to get here. Although, I dont think I can repay you enough. Thanks again brother, true BOTL.

Here is a pic of the damage. And no, the picture is not from the new camera, its my cell phone. :skew:

Attachments

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Quality brother right there! That Special S is very smooth. Had my first about a week ago and need to pick some more up.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Got my thank you from JLB today Great selection of sticks and a nice little lighter will post pics later on.

Thanks for the great sticks.