What's new

Which do you prefer and why?

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I went back about a year and didn't see a discussion so if there is one so if there is one I apologize. I'm trying to decide what to buy for concealed carry. I'm narrowed down to a few choices. Glock, looking at 19/23 and 43, S&W Shield 9 or .40, and possibly even SCCY CPX-1. SCCY if I like how it shoots and based on price, but I can probably find the S&W for not much more. On the Glocks, why should I pay more for it, in your opinion? I'm shooting all of these before I decide but just wanted some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Let me give this caveat before I give you my opinion, Your personal safety should never dictated by a price tag or someone else's preference. What might work for me, might not work for you. After 25 years in law enforcement, competitive shooting and now teaching tactical shooting, my firearm preference changes with whatever I am doing (working, golfing, beach, etc.) Diffwrnt guns for different things,, at least for me, but I am very fortunate to have many to switch between. My main carry fun is a Kimber Ultra Covert II, which is perfect for me.

Now for the advice, I have a SW Shield and love it. 8 round mags are good to go, it's very accurate and cost effective. Glock makes a fine gun, which many on here carry daily, personally they aren't my cup of tea though, just something about how they feel for me. The SCCy was accurate when I shot it, but it didn't feel right for Me.

id stick ith the 9mm over the .40. If you need to go to a bigger caliber, go to a 45. A 9mm will usually give you more rounds in the tank. But, I always carry at least 2 extra mags with me. California limits magaIne wold with guns in CA only to no more than10 rounds, being a retired LEO, I have no problem getting thighs capacity mags.

Hope that helps .

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I've shot the Glock 19 and 26. Like the 19 a lot more. Haven't shot the 43 or the others. My uncle has the SCCY and some friends have the S&Ws so I will shoot them for sure. It's not so much as going by the price tag as if I like the way the others shoot, what about the Glock should I want to pay up for?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
what about the Glock should I want to pay up for?
IMHO, you shouldn't. I say that because the Glock has a longer trigger pull, that many find themselves to be less accurate with - myself included.

Note that the Glock 26 would probably be the most comparable to the 9mm Shield (both are compact versions of the original) and the 26 mags hold more rounds than the Shield. So if you're good with a Glock, there's that.

But like Angry Bill said, don't let someone else decide for you. Shoot them all and decide what works best for you. (y)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Your personal safety should never dictated by a price tag or someone else's preference. .
This warrants getting quoted over and over again...

A lot of "new" gun owners need some gentle pushing in the right direction toward something reliable, accurate, ergodynamic, etc.. but glock and S&W are both solid choices.. I dont know much about SCCY... but from what I can find online they appear to be ok as well... Were I in your situation, I would handle all three.. see if there is someplace local that I could rent all three and run a box of ammo through each.. and then make a decision..

For me.. the G19 is about as close to "perfect" an option as there is out there.. when my wife started asking about a pistol to replace her revolver for home defense (she was at that time a girlfriend).. I turned her on to a G19.... I personally have carried glocks for the better part of the last 20+ years... its just "right" for me.. its big enough with enough sight radius to get my big mitts wrapped around it right and make fast/accurate shots from concealment.. but small and light enough that its easy to conceal and comfortable to carry all day long.. accessories like holsters, mag pouches, lights, etc.. as are aftermarket parts if the stock pistol isnt your thing (slide stop extenders, mag extensions, ambidextrous/extended mag releases, replacement springs, etc..etc.. are all readily available..)..

but that doesnt mean the other choices wont be whats "right" for you..

FWIW I've been carrying a Kimber Ultra CDP II for the better part of the past year.. I am still a firm believer in glock.. but.. the kimber was a gift, and holds sentimental value in addition to being a fine, fine pistol.. so.. while I've been a "glock guy" for most of my adult life.. the Kimber is probably what Ill be carrying most days for what remains of my time left standing on 2 feet..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even though I have the option, I do not carry right now. Everyone loves Glock, you're paying for the name. They're a solid well made pistol. I'm not an expert, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the options you listed.

If I do choose to carry, I'm bringing my Springfield XDM 9mm along. That's my vote.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I primarily carry a PT111 G2, I also have other options. It's a nice little double stack 9. I have found it to be a very reliable and well built pistol.

There's so many options out there...I agree you should stay with a 9x19. No sense in going to a 40 any more. Just fondle as many as you can and shoot as many as you can of the ones that feel good in your hands.

I'll also toss the CZ-9 out there. People seem to love that pistol. I do not have one nor have I ever shot one, but it is popular among those who have.

The guy two offices down from me brought a Shield 9mm with him the other day. I got to fondle, but shooting is discouraged at work. Seemed like a nice hand gun.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Everyone loves Glock, you're paying for the name..
A military/law enforcement grade pistol that retails between $550-$600 depending on caliber and frame.. and youre paying for a name?

Glocks, long before they were popular, were selling between $400-$450 in the late 80's.. and had a purchase price between $450-$500 at the peak of their popularity in the mid 90's..

In 30 years they have increased in cost roughly 35%... but inflation in the US between 1986 and 2016 has been 116% (other items you paid $400 for in 1986 would now cost you $865 today)..

I hardly think glock is gouging anyone because of their "name"..

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Buy what feels right and you shoot well.

I'm a big glock and 1911 fan. Shot both in IDPA. But I don't carry either. My main carry is a bersa 380 or a Beretta 22( yes it's a 22 but it has its place IMO).

IMO all the pistols you list will do you just fine. Find the one you shoot well and handle well and that should be your hand gun. Don't go by what someone else tells you is what you should buy....

Good luck and let us know what you get ;)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I carry a Glock 19 daily and wouldn't trade it for anything. Never failed on me, very accurate (for me) and minimal maintenance.

Personally, I think they are priced reasonably, and if you join GSSF for more than 1 year you get a coupon per year to buy a blue label gun at LEO pricing, which is even better.

I also have a 26, but never carry out and may actually all it as it sees virtually no use from me. Great gun, but doesn't fit me well enough.

Nothing bad to say about the other mfgs - just my 2 cents

~ Dale
Georgia, USA

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Comfort and concealability.

Buy the gun you will actually carry! Weight, size, etc all play into the comfort factor. They key to having a carry gun is having it with you when the need arises.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A military/law enforcement grade pistol that retails between $550-$600 depending on caliber and frame.. and youre paying for a name?

Glocks, long before they were popular, were selling between $400-$450 in the late 80's.. and had a purchase price between $450-$500 at the peak of their popularity in the mid 90's..

In 30 years they have increased in cost roughly 35%... but inflation in the US between 1986 and 2016 has been 116% (other items you paid $400 for in 1986 would now cost you $865 today)..

I didn't realize they were quite that cheap. I was thinking they were a little more than that. Good to know. I wasn't implying that they're overpriced. Like I said, they're a solid well-made, dependable gun. You can't go wrong with a Glock. I was trying to say that they're one of the mainstream name brands. Ask someone who doesn't know squat about guns to name a gun manufacturer, I'd put money down that you'll hear Glock. This is just a guess, but I'll bet that a significant number of first time gun buyers look at Glocks first, and I'll wager that some don't look at anything else. They want the name recognition and don't realize that there are plenty of quality manufacturers that aren't necessarily name brands.

I'm just saying do your research and buy whatever works for you best. Don't worry about the brand that's stamped on the side of the gun.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Anyone have any experience with the Kel Tec P11?

Yes I've owned one. Not a bad carry guy. Trigger is long but that's about the only negative I can think of and the price aint bad either ;)

Oh and it can take s&w seires 59 mags too if you want more rounds.

Mathson

alphacigar_justin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Nonesuch "Defibrillator" quadruple barrel chest mounted shotgun. it's "state of the art" and costs under 100 dollars to make

Rating - 100%
55   0   0

As usual, Dave said it much better than I could have. More reliable and lower priced than most of their competitors. Compare them to a Sig and they are dirt cheap. As mentioned above, join GSSF for I think $35 and you can get a blue label gun in 9mm or .40 with 3 mags for just over $400. Around $500 for the
.45's. I prefer the 30SF or gen 4, but the 19 is a fine choice.

As for the original question, Dave answered that as well as I could have too, so I'll just agree with him on that one.