What's new

which phone to buy

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
IOS is not lockdown city you can jailbreak it quite easy, for such a long post you sure did screw the pooch at the end, makes me question your actual use of an iphone.
FWIW, technically, there is a difference between jailbreaking and rooting, albeit, for probably 90% of people functionally they achieve just about the same end goal for the user who is doing them. and I don't know what would warrant questioning someones use of an iphone....

Based on Dave's post, I doubt he cares about either. Personally I have always been an android guy, but have no concern with recommending iPhones to people I think will be happy with them, they are great phones. Dave, you might want to wait a couple weeks longer to see what google unveils at their upcoming I/O 2013 in mid may to see if something interest you. Also, not sure when the next iPhone is coming out as well.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had the iPhone, Motorola Razr Max, and Galaxy S3. My preference has been the Motorola due to the better reception i received from it. If it is size of screen the Galaxy Note 2 is the biggest out there i believe.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
This MS commercial had me cracking up, kinda relevant here :)

[video=youtube;Z19vR1GldRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19vR1GldRI[/video]

FuenteSmoker

Il n'y a pas de fumée san
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I've always been an iPhone guy but I finally switched over to a note 2. It was a little confusing making the switch but well worth it. The thing is huge but still fits in your pocket. It has a stylist and can do anything from buisness presentations to surfing the web. I also bout an org cable which allows me to connect peripherals like a wireless mouse or key board or a Zip drive to transfer data....plus did I mention the thing is huge and really fun to watch movies on.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The iPhone 5 is a great phone but if you are looking for more features and bigger display you cannot go wrong with the Samsung S4 or the new HTC One. I chose the HTC One since I already have the S3 and wanted a phone with better speakers that actually face you and a better low light camera for taking pictures. It's also a 32GB internal memory and is an aluminum unibody like the iPhone.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
IOS is not lockdown city you can jailbreak it quite easy, for such a long post you sure did screw the pooch at the end, makes me question your actual use of an iphone.
Maybe you just missed this part in my long post... " I didn't like the iPhone because I couldn't tweak it without a jailbreak and jailbreak just isn't that much better."

I'm a geek... I like to really tweak my phones and mess around with them. iPhone you can't do that... not compared to what you can do with the Android and the pantload of custom ROMs and addons you can do once you root your phone. Jailbreak gets you access to Cydia which is another App store. And there are some cool tweaks there for the iPhone... but not to the level you can get with Android.

I've done 18 months with each phone except the iPhone 4S. The 4S I gave to my daughter and bought the S3 because being on the Moto Droid X (not a fantastic phone, but an Android nonetheless) spoiled my inner child who likes to break things and figure out how I blew it up.

That being said... one other problem... if your friends and family have iPhones and you do iMessage group texting... it can suck transitioning to Android. Need to get a 3rd party App to support the MMS implementation iPhone does with their group messaging and its not always great.

LOTS of things to consider... I don't envy you Dave. :) Play with the phones... make sure they have some kind of return policy where you can exchange if you don't like it. Think about all that is important to you in a smart phone... and then go from there. And have a few stogies while you ponder the direction you head.

Baldanders

Jim AKA Patty
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Don't overlook the new Blackberrys. The Z10 and Q10 are both amazing phones that you can't judge by older BBs. Take a few minutes at the store to look one over. Yes, some apps are still missing but it's a whole new OS and they are catching up fast. Still the best phones for communication and security.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
SWMBO had a face time chat with her brother and family last night using my iPhone 4 and their iPad.

Makes me want an iPhone with a larger screen.

Couldn't see a suitable app for the Samsung tablet we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when it bloody works properly

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
SWMBO had a face time chat with her brother and family last night using my iPhone 4 and their iPad.

Google + has extremely good video chat with up to 6-7 people I think.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Tango also works well for a face chat and can run on both Apple and Droid phones.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
ended up going with a new iphone...

really had some interest in the galaxy (for all the reasons stated).. but apparently our company plan gets the iphone for the same price and provides the data plan for the same price... and our IT person really wanted me to stay with the iphone since most everyone else in the company is using that platform.. (makes life easier for her I guess)..

if it keeps our IT people happy... Im cool with sticking with the apple..

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
ended up going with a new iphone...

really had some interest in the galaxy (for all the reasons stated).. but apparently our company plan gets the iphone for the same price and provides the data plan for the same price... and our IT person really wanted me to stay with the iphone since most everyone else in the company is using that platform.. (makes life easier for her I guess)..

if it keeps our IT people happy... Im cool with sticking with the apple..
ugh, your one of "them" now... Just Kidding! congrats on the new phone, I'm sure you'll like it