What's new

Which Piramide?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
With the weather warming up, I'm looking for a box of a larger Cuban I can enjoy in the evenings this Spring. I have narrowed things down to a Piramide and would be interested in hearing the members thoughts on the following two cigars:

These would both be from fairly recent production (early to mid-2011).

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Was there supposed to be two cigars for us to comment on? Sounded like it..

Anyway, best Cuban #2 ATM is the Upmann IMO. Consistent, smoking well in relative youth, and just an all around helluva smoke for any occasion.

VR Unicos are nice too...but more chocolate & cream, where the Upmann is more nutty, w/ wood & leather.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Actually somewhat hard to wrong with this vitola from the island. The BBF, Upmann, PSP2, Diplo, Monte, Unicos are all pretty good.

BBFs have been coming out rich lately.
PSP2s of recent production have been quite tasty, with Partagas spice and nut tones
Upmann has nut and wood notes (as mentioned by KPP above)
Diplo is the "change of pace" profile that is like pecan sandies or russian tea cakes... sweet bread, nut, cream, etc.
Monte 2 is a classic and popular cigar, but I think anyone would say that getting a box that is "on" is a bit more of a roll of the dice. They range from just decent to wow.
Unicos, and I may be out there on this, to me is more of a floral, tea and honey type profile - the "chocolate and cream" mentioned above makes me want to grab one and revisit, maybe I missed something

There is also the SCDLH but I haven't had one recently enough to comment... have one sitting in the humi, maybe I'll try to burn it over the next day or so and report back

audio1der

Cuban cigar snob #1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H Upmann #2. Easily the most under the radar Piramide. More consistent than an MC2 with great aging potential.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
MC#2 if you are able to get a hand picked box
VR Unico- pure cocoa & cream

That's about it. Loved the 01 & 02 Upmann #2s. Recent ones not so much. BBF is a Belicoso not a Piramide.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fair to say these need down time, A? That was initial reaction I've heard.
They will need some downtime if you don't smoke them within 3 months of recieving them from what I hear. I'll reserve judgement until I smoke a few of these as the 1966s are still going strong and haven't entered their sick phase.

Usually, the first release are fantastic, in terms of construction and flavour. Need to impress people to convince them to spend the money.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
PSP2
HU#2
BBF

I've had one Dip2, it was great. Monte #2 have been very inconsistent for me. I haven't had the VR, SCdlH, or the new Cohiba.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I used to love piramedes but for some reason they don't smoke well for me anymore however if were to recommend one it would be the Bolivar Belicoso Finos or the VR Unicos even though they're not exactly a piramede can't go wrong with the H. Upmann's either.

Sarge

Cigar Junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I can say unfortunately I have yet to try an Upman 2. To answer the question it really depends on what you're looking for but two of my Faves are PSP2 & Monte 2. I've yet to purchase the latter but last year the PSP2s were smoking very good young. Same as the PSD4. Just think Partagas is firing some solid rockets as of late. Orangedog really pointed out all the flavors to consider because it's really up to you want to be enjoying. Two sure winners in my book are definitely PSP2 & Monte 2 though. Enjoy your decision.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to go PSP2, BBF, and Monte 2. The PSP2's that I have had recently have been from 2011, and they are smoking fabulously right now.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
This is just the thread I have been looking for. Always have loved Monte #2's but have had okay ones but some have been just orgasmic. I don't have the funds to be able to order multiple brands so I am constantly scared I will have buyers remorse buying a box of MC2s and not getting good ones. My dad loves H. Upmann #2s so I was thinking about going that route. Somebody mentioned the PSP2s were more spicy. I personally do NOT want spice in my CC's but more of a creamy mellow smoke but still with great flavor. What fits that profile the best? I also don't have time to age long because I have 0 CC's and don't want to wait around years to start smoking them.

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get a sampler! These boxes aren't going anywhere! Find out what you like and go from there.

Or you can do what I do and buy everything :devilhead. Because I guarantee you that even if you don't like it now, you will when you rediscover the box in several years time. And even if you don't then, you have aged smokes to share with friends!