What's new

Which plasma?

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I'm in the market for a new tv. This is going to be a large (~50") for the basement. The 10-year old 32" isn't cutting it anymore. Any recommendations as to brand? Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic? I'd like to get a reliable tv with a great picture but don't want to break the bank.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
If it isn't too much money for you, I would go with an LED/LCD. The picture quality is much better...and doesn't experience screen burn problems like plasmas. I personally find Samsung to make the best quality TVs right now.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
All the ones you mentioned and pretty reputable brands. The market is wide open everyone is making plasma/lcd tv's. I know the plasma's are more likely to get burn in than the lcd. Go to an appliance store and check out the displays that should give you a good idea as far as picture quality. I hear good things about those led's. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Burn in is not really an issue in plasmas anymore. Go with any of the new 180p samsung plasmas. They are absolutely the best bang for your buck and in my opinion offer superior picture compared to lcd. Don't drink the burn in coolaid brother!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I'd stay away from plasma and get a nice Sony Bravia...Just my 2 cents!

Happy shopping...I'm sure you'll get something nice for the ole basement :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I went with a 50 inch pioneer Elite. It was around 5k four years ago. I got it for 3700 on close out. I wouldn't even think about buying it again. Reason being so many brands have cought up to each other. 50s for less then 2k can be had all day with the poor economy now. Samsung,panasonic are a couple of my favs. I would still go with plasma but havt researched the last 2 years of LCD technology. I've heard mixed reviews on LEDs. CNet for reviews should help.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My BIL is a super tech geek.....and I mean in a big way. Chats on forums and everything (wink, wink)....

He's owned everything from DLP, LCD, Projectors, and Plasma. Says Plasmas now are by far offering the best picture, particularly with "black levels" or some chit I can't remember him tellin' me.

Anyway, I went with a 52" LG 1080p Plasma from Costco for like $899....and haven't regretted that decision whatsoever. Great set, and no burn in issues. I was concerned as well due to the initial problems, but as some here have said, burn-ins on Plasmas have been fixed for a couple years now.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
yeah the whole burnin issue is gone, in my opinion.

I've owned plasmas for >4 years now and have had no burnin issues whatsoever.
Tell that to the vertical stripes on either side of my Plasma, which is from the bars that are put there when a channel doesn't have a widescreen broadcast. I have had this TV for over 3 years.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
panasonic is king in plasmas

thin glass LCD panels are a bit more prone to accidental breakage.
sony or sharp are good lcd brands.

LED's are very nice but havent proven themselves as really reliable.

realistically, any of these are not a bad choice.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
We only use Samsung TV's. I have a 32" LCD in the RV, and a 50" Plasma at the house. The one in the house DOES have a few burn in lines-but the extended warranty will cover that when I'm ready to take it in (probably towards the end of the warranty). The burn in isn't very noticeable except when the conditions are just so. That said, I really love the picture quality it's brilliant. The brand seems to consistently get top notch reviews, and it's what my friend (a professional home theater installer) told me to buy.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
panasonic is king in plasmas
I was told the same thing by my BIL as well. Panny's anti-reflective screen I believe is what sets them apart from the rest of the Plasma's. The deal on the LG was too good to pass up though, and he agreed. Wasn't wanting to pay an extra $5-6 hundy for the Panasonic as natural light wasn't going to be much of an issue where I was putting it.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'd stay away from plasma and get a nice Sony Bravia...Just my 2 cents!

Happy shopping...I'm sure you'll get something nice for the ole basement :)
I would like to 2nd Clint's recommendation for a Sony! I've had mine almost three years and the picture quality is still fantastic!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
cnet is a great resource. Dealnews.com has a good hdtv section showcasing the best current deals from a bunch of different retailers. The new 3d plasmas look fantastic as well, but are a bit more coin. Again, any of the new 1080p samsung or panasonic plasmas will not disapoint.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
LCD > Plasma. Anything from Samsung or even the high end Vizios are great. I have a 52" sharp aquos which is good, but it was a gift and I would have preferred samsung.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have had a samsung lcd and plasm. Both have great picture but the plasma has horrible sound. I have it hooked up to speakers so it doesn't matter.

Depending on usage, I would recommend a projector. Picture is amazing and size is great. Put a laptop heat thingy on top and bulb lasts longer. Mine has over 4000 hours and still looks good.

We need more info to give you better answers. Budget, usage, placement, etc.

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Lots of great info guys. Thanks for your replys. I already have 2 smaller Samsung LCD tv's that I'm really happy with. I'm leaning towards a Samsung 1080p 50" plasma for the basement. From what I've read Samsung offers the best picture quality for price right now.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Lots of great info guys. Thanks for your replys. I already have 2 smaller Samsung LCD tv's that I'm really happy with. I'm leaning towards a Samsung 1080p 50" plasma for the basement. From what I've read Samsung offers the best picture quality for price right now.
Now I'm missing mine! Love your choice, as I'm sure you will. Smoke a good one for the TV!