What's new

Who making espresso??

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
As the title says, who's making espresso around here? I'm looking to get an espresso machine for the house. I'm certainly not going to be spending $1000 or anywhere close to it, so forget those suggestions.

Right now I'm looking at the DeLonghi EC155 as a starter model. I can get it right now on Amazon for $60, after a rebate. I could be convinced to spend up to $300 or $400 if the convincing is good enough.

So who's using what and with what kind of success??

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Gale,

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but it is amazing. http://www.delonghi.com/us_en/products/esam-3300/ It grinds, the beans fresh, then brews either coffee or espresso, then cleans itself, and even turns itself off. I thought it was crazy until I started using it everyday. It beats paying $5 each time you go to Starbucks. We enjoy fresh brewed coffee and espresso everyday now. It has paid for itself already.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
THat does look nice indeed. Certainly over my intended budget...but that's usually the case with everything.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I forgot to mention that my FIL did all the research and went through countless espresso machines before landing with this one. Now everyone in the family has their own. it's definitely a case of you vet what you pay for.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've tried a number of inexpensive espresso machines & gave up. This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for.
We actually use an inexpensive machine called an Aeropress to make espresso, and it's very effective. The coffee is great, though it does take a little more work than just pushing a button.

Here's a link to the review that got me interested in using one:

http://boingboing.net/2010/08/30/aeropress-fast-porta.html

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=italian+espresso+machine+stove+top&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7161035799432912336&sa=X&ei=bXKtTu_cO-Ho0QHH9biODw&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAA

For the price these make decent enough. I have a low end Delonghi that makes decent enough too. I'm not a big cappuchino or espresso drinker though. I use my drip or press pot a majority of the time. I think the key to having good espresso is more the freshness and a very find grind instead of the machine. The machine is just the icing on the cake.

http://www.delonghi.com/us_en/products/ec-155/ This is the one I actually have.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a Saeco Odea for the office, when I left it was well broken in and still functioned perfectly. I believe it was a refurb on ebay when I bought it.

pmd

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would definitely look at the Rancilio Miss Sylvia. I've had a few machines and currently run an Elektra manual lever pull circa mid 70's. It's super picky about the bean quality so I've started roasting my own earlier last summer. I've got to say using beans that are day old in this machine is amazing. The Rancilia has consistently gotten great reviews from all the coffee sites I trust and I think It'll be my next machine at some point. You can sometimes find them used on Craigslist for around $300-$350 at least in Portland, OR.
I would also take a look at Sweet Maria's site. They've reviewed a bunch of machines and have recommendations. [URL="http://www.moderncoffeedesigns.com/Rancilio-Silvia-Espresso-Machine-V3-p/Silvia.htm"]http://www.sweetmarias.com/[/URL]

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
OK, thanks for all the good info.

But I keep seeing people talking about getting the grind right. My current thought process is to use a $20 grinder that i've been using for years now and just gring it a little longer to get it ground finer.

Is that a sufficient technique or do I need to invest in some sort of ultra fine grinder?

and for what it's worth, I grind fresh for every pot I make, and my grinder definitely grinds more fine the longer I hold the button.

pmd

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use a Maestro grinder. It's a conical burr grinder that comes highly rated and it's $100. Much less money than the larger more commercial options. The other benefit is that you can put the portafilter right under the grinder so that it'll fill the grind basket as it grinds.
Ive read that burr grinders for espresso usage grind beans differently than normal drip coffee machines. I can tell you that it makes a huge difference in my machine but thats not to say it would affect you as greatly depending on the equipment. Hope this helps...

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Bball!

Man, one slippery slope hobby ain't enough for ya?! :)

Seriously man, good coffee can get very expensive very quickly. However, if you're smart, you can actually save some money in the long run.

To answer your question, however, (and I know you will not want to hear this, because neither did I) the MOST important purchase you will ever make in this hobby is your grinder. Especially if you are thinking about espresso. Yes, the longer you press the button, the finer the grind is... But I'm assuming that at $20, you have a standard kitchen grinder and not a burr grinder, which is what is required. And a blade grinder will not grind for espresso.

Buying a great coffee machine after a terrible grind is just not worth it. YOu will not get what you paid for in the machine.

My advice: Buy the grinder first, and then the machine. There are good recommendations from all over the net, but off the top of my head: The Baratza Vario (as low as $300), and the Rancilio Rocky (~$400). But there are certainly cheaper ones starting at 150-200 also which apparently are outstanding.

I would strongly advise against an all-in-one super automatic machine (like the DeLonghi above). Many technical reasons for that, (which I don't know if I believe or not) but at the end of the day, my Saeco Odea just didn't cut it in terms of flavor and crema.

If you do want to buy a machine first, then +1 on the Silvia. Had used one for a long time, and my new Silvia / Rocky combo is on its way and should be here later this week.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you. Nothing like a sweet, thick shot of espresso in the morning! Meantime, some low-budget coffee pr0n for ya! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1kzRkCe_o&feature=related"]Naked Portafilter shot with Rancilio Silvia - YouTube[/ame]

:)
Enjoy!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
holy smokes! In all honesty I was just looking to make a cheap, crappy cappucino or latte or something.

I guess that's out of the question now! Ignorance was indeed bliss for me...I thought I could just buy an espresso machine and call it a day. And to be honest, at this point, I wouldn't know if i was making a good shot of espresso or a bad shot. I mean, I know what cream is, but good versus bad, I've never done any side by side comparison.

But like I always say, if you're gonna do something, do it right.

Now I just need to sell the wife on spending another $200 or $300 on a grinder. SHe's gonna think I'm nuts!! Guess I"ll have to remind her that I'll be able to make those carmel frappucinos that she can only get when we go to the big city. that' might help her turn the corner

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
For less $$$ you can get a Bodum burr grinder. I've had one for over three years. It grinds what I think is a passable espresso grind and it does a decent enough press pot. I typically use it for my drip machine. The current offering from Bodum I suspect is a lower quality model. My model is the Bodum Antigua I paid $100 for it in 2007 and then the price went up to $140 immediately. Now they have one again for $100 so they cut costs somewhere.

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/bodum_antigua_grinder
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bodum+antigua#q=bodum+antigua&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=84GuTtfYBaHV0QHlnISZBA&ved=0CHQQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=a80cfa6e513ee79&biw=1366&bih=643

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Good stuff adam. I'm thinking you and I are onthe same wavelength with this. I think I'm realy just looking to have the capabilities to make a decent cappucino or something along those lines. I'm certainly not trying to make the best damn coffee drink in the land. Like I said, I wouldn't know good from bad, and honestly, I think once you add milk, whether frothed or not, it's gonna dilute the flavor of the outstanding, $900 shot of espresso I just spent 23.5 seconds pouring. And not to mention on the carmel and syrups my wife is gonna demand so she can have her frothy fu-fu coffee drinks.

ALthough i gotta admit, I always get a few sips of her drinks. THey do taste good.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you look around you can find a good burr grinder for $40-80. I've been using the same one for 10years and it's still going strong.

Here is a Capresso Burr grinder for $50

I have a Capresso Ultima and have used it heavily for the last 5-6 years. No problems with it and still works great. I paid $350 for it, not sure what exactly it goes for now. Not fully automatic, but really doesn't take much effort either.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm anti-automatic-do-it-all anything. I like having a camera, I like having a video camera, I like having a coffee machine, and a separate grinder, and a separate espresso machine. The way I see it is if a component of your giant do it all gadget dies sometimes it takes the whole thing out. Or you can't remove it and it is like a dead limb just hanging out for no reason.

Gale, I think we are on the same wave length. I like my coffee. I drink it black and I buy it to be low acid, medium roast. I have an appreciation but I am not looking for perfection. I doubt I'd taste the difference between my $100 machine and a $2000 machine. Hell, I think my little metal stove top that we still use from time to time made just as good a cup as my brother's $700 machine. If you ask me the biggest difference that will set your "cheap" machine apart from a more expensive one is the fact you grind fresh each time. Between having a decently fine grind and a very fresh grind your $100 machine will make better coffee than a $3000 machine with old ass perfectly ground coffee. I have yet to buy coffee at a coffee shop that rivals the coffee I make at home. With the exception being the place I buy my beans. There is a new place in town that roasts their own. It's really not that good. They call their press pot coffee "the best coffee you've ever had". Well, if that's the best I had, then I must be drinking the urine of angels mixed with dreams and unicorn tears. The stuff I make at home rocks in my not so humble opinion!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ok. After a quick skype session wit da wifey, I think i'm gonna go with the EC155 that I can get for $60 after a rebate and that will leave me with $140 to find a grinder. I told her I could put together her frappucinos for under $200 and it will have paid for itself easily inthe 18 days I'm home over christmas. I'm looking forward to it already.

***BREAK***

Next question...what about the coffee? I buy from a roaster up in the big city, Stauff's. I buy stuff all over the board from low acid, to high, to varying bodies and so forth. I typically always buy some Indian Monsoon Malabar, Tanzanian Peaberry, we've always got blue mountain in the house, and a few house blends from the place. Not to mention the couple blends I got from Raven's brew and Wood-Fired Coffees.

So will these work? or do I need to get an espresso blend/roast and use only that? Is it a waste to use these various blends as espressos?