What's new

who packs the 5-packs??

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always assumed the retailer (CI, Famous, JR's) takes singles and packs them into 5-packs for resale.
Is that true?? Or do the "manufacturers" do this for their bigger accounts?
Just received some 5's from JR and each contained a thin cedar sheet, which is a nice touch, even if not
actually "effective." Seems like an operation more easily performed in the factory than at a retailer's
warehouse.
Just curious...

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Most retailers pack the 5 packs by breaking down boxes but sometimes they come that way from the manufacturer. I mostly have seen them that way from General and Altadis.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
My guess is the manufacturer or whomever does the packaging for distribution.

Wouldn't make sense for a retail outlet to do that kind of packaging when breaking down a box to ship to individuals. A bag would be much easier.

The establishment that is shipping in mass bulk packages would be better served to save their boxes and ship the cigars loose. But a baggie, unless using expensive finger bags, wouldn't protect the product. And if they aren't packed tightly, they wont stack well leaving wasted space in the shipping boxes.

ETA: I've bought hundreds of fivers and have never seen a reverse folded end on the cellophane (like they do in each row of a box) which further makes me believe they were never in a box.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Most of the big Internet guys buy bulk unboxed cigars and make samplers, 5ers, etc from that. They usually don't break down boxes if they don't have to

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I read this post last night, then today received 2 5'ers, each being sealed with one of these. I suppose that means at least some are packaged at the factory. 5er seal 001.jpg Sorry if this picture is too large or small. I don't have a clue how to do such processes.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My guess is the manufacturer or whomever does the packaging for distribution.

Wouldn't make sense for a retail outlet to do that kind of packaging when breaking down a box to ship to individuals. A bag would be much easier.

The establishment that is shipping in mass bulk packages would be better served to save their boxes and ship the cigars loose. But a baggie, unless using expensive finger bags, wouldn't protect the product. And if they aren't packed tightly, they wont stack well leaving wasted space in the shipping boxes.

ETA: I've bought hundreds of fivers and have never seen a reverse folded end on the cellophane (like they do in each row of a box) which further makes me believe they were never in a box.
Strange. I've received dozens of reversed folded cello in 5 packs, samplers, and even singles.