What's new

Whole House Humidification

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have searched the forums and not read anything about a solution to offset the dry air caused by forced air heating of homes. I was have been having trouble keeping the humidity up in my humidor ever since turning on the heat this season. Adding more distilled water every couple of days seemed to be the only solution. Then it dawned on me to take the hydrometer out of the humidor and check the humidity outside of the humidor. The RH was reading around 25% after leaving it out for 24 hours. I was wondering if anyone has thought of installing a furnace mounted whole-house humidifier to bring the humidity of the house to a comfortable 40-50%, thus helping the humidor not loose as much moisture?

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Growing up we had one that went up against the wall that held about 50 gallons.

Kinda looked like this

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/H12-400-3-Speed-Evaporative-Console-Humidifier/dp/B0000D8EJU/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1291936485&sr=1-13"]Amazon.com: Essick Air H12-400 3-Speed Evaporative Console Humidifier, Oak Burl: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NMG2M8AJL.@@AMEPARAM@@51NMG2M8AJL[/ame]

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking at something more like the Honeywell HE260. Looks like it is pretty easy to install and is hidden as it installs to the ductwork of the furnace. Going to do a little more research but seems like a good solution to humidity loss when opening humidors in the winter months. Also, after reading some articles; will make the air much more comfortable in the house ridding it of static!

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Humidifiers/Whole-House+Evaporative/HE260.htm

waffle

who doesn't love waffles!
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was looking at something more like the Honeywell HE260. Looks like it is pretty easy to install and is hidden as it installs to the ductwork of the furnace. Going to do a little more research but seems like a good solution to humidity loss when opening humidors in the winter months. Also, after reading some articles; will make the air much more comfortable in the house ridding it of static!

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Humidifiers/Whole-House+Evaporative/HE260.htm
I have one of those installed at my house right now. Actually, my step-father and I installed it last year as I was noticing how dry the house got... technically its a bit small for my house (says its good for upto 2000 sf) but it works great! Remember to buy more filters as you'll change them every year and if you have some hard water, you may end up needing to change them more often (lime buildup).

Actually I have the HE120... sorry for any confusion.

BGC

Zach
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have one like you have listed. In my opinion I don't think it works that well. If I had to do it again I'd use a mist/steam ones that are available. My HVAC guy installed one in my electricians house and he swears by it.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
company called april aire is the most used and widely available unit. it ataches to your furnace by the blower. just google it for a ton of info.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a pretty decent Aprilaire and it keeps the house at 45% comfortably. It might slow down your moisture loss a bit but it won't stop it altogether. Maybe it's time to check your humidor seals again. Might also be a good idea to re-season your humidor since the air is drier during the winter. Maybe think about relocating your humidor altogether say in the basement if you have one.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Not sure how expensive a furnace mounted humidifyer is but if it is just the cigars you are mainly concerned about you may want to consider checking into a wine chilling unit. 28 bottle models can be found online from 120ish shipped and up, with a few simple mods they do a fantastic job of keeping your cigars at a steady rh and as a bonus it takes away much of the worry from beetles and mold

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You deffinitely need a humidifier ! I also live in a dry climate and it is terrible in the winter without any humidification. Your Honeywell link is a decent humdifier that will do just fine, those are what is called a "flow-through" humdifier as fresh water runs down the humidifaction pad inside then any that doesnt evaporate goes down the drain. The only other option you have for attaching to your ductwork is the steam type humdifier that Honeywell also offers. If you want a VERY large spike in your power bill, go ahead and buy those, plus as far as our wholesaler is concerned, they are a pain in the ass with recalls and problems.
I have my house set at 40% in the winter as the windows will start to "sweat" if I go any higher. You might be able to get a bit higher if the temps arent as low as we have here, but its a trial and error process. That humidifier will deffinitely get you to at least 40% humidity.
Oh btw, I work on this kinda stuff, so I have a bias towards the flow-throughs.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You deffinitely need a humidifier ! I also live in a dry climate and it is terrible in the winter without any humidification. Your Honeywell link is a decent humdifier that will do just fine, those are what is called a "flow-through" humdifier as fresh water runs down the humidifaction pad inside then any that doesnt evaporate goes down the drain. The only other option you have for attaching to your ductwork is the steam type humdifier that Honeywell also offers. If you want a VERY large spike in your power bill, go ahead and buy those, plus as far as our wholesaler is concerned, they are a pain in the ass with recalls and problems.
I have my house set at 40% in the winter as the windows will start to "sweat" if I go any higher. You might be able to get a bit higher if the temps arent as low as we have here, but its a trial and error process. That humidifier will deffinitely get you to at least 40% humidity.
Oh btw, I work on this kinda stuff, so I have a bias towards the flow-throughs.
After reading your post and doing some more research I am heading over to the big orange box store to pick up the Honeywell HE260... going to take some pictures and document results on here. Hoping to show that bringing up humidity during winter months in the house helps offset humidity loss from the humidor.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Had a April Aire in the last house would dew the windows if to high. Could be because of a newer home and better insulated as well.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
your humidor should hold humidity even if the rh in your house is 5%. you either have a bad seal in your humidor, or need more humidification materials. I don't see any need in humidifying the whole house.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
In reference to my earlier post, I'd would second checking into whether or not your humidification device is adequate for your humidor, or whether or not the seal is good. If either are the case then buying a whole house humidifying unit won't do anything for your cigars unless your hydrostat is set at or close to 65-70%.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I second...er third...er...well I agree with the other posters here. If your humidor won't maintain humidity, you are having a problem. The MAIN REASON for getting a humidifier in your ductwork is to keep the rest of the house at a decent humidity. Hardwood floors and other wood products in the house will tend to tighten up during the winter months...thus causing spaces in between each board, as well as cupboards not fitting as well as during the summer. That is the actual reason for a humdifier, but it helps with the cigars as well.
Just set up the humidistat in the return air above where the humidifier is to get a reading as the air returns back to your furnace, that is easier than running wires through walls to set one up.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have searched the forums and not read anything about a solution to offset the dry air caused by forced air heating of homes. I was have been having trouble keeping the humidity up in my humidor ever since turning on the heat this season. Adding more distilled water every couple of days seemed to be the only solution. Then it dawned on me to take the hydrometer out of the humidor and check the humidity outside of the humidor. The RH was reading around 25% after leaving it out for 24 hours. I was wondering if anyone has thought of installing a furnace mounted whole-house humidifier to bring the humidity of the house to a comfortable 40-50%, thus helping the humidor not loose as much moisture?
I have one installed in my home. I'm on a heat pump so very dry heat. Mine is attached to the furnace unit its self and literally fogs the air exiting the unit. It is controlled by a dial that allows me to set the level of humidity I wish to have. I typically run it around 40% humidity in the winter.

One thing to note it does add approximately 10$ to 15$ a month to my water bill.