What's new

Who's had Westvleteren 12?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I only ask because I'm curious who on the board has gone through the effort to try the beer. My friend recently did and we're going to have a blind quad tasting so we can remove the hype factor. I did a search but couldn't come up with a decent idea of who has actually drank it or who just wants to drink the beer. I think I found two of you and the two haven't posted since the beginning of 2013.

So who's had the holy brew?

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
I have, but was lucky to have a great brother here find a number of gift sets and offered me some of his find. Enjoyed it and would buy it again; but more because the chances of getting it are few than it its quality. Available Trappist alternative's are just as good if not better for my tastes, and less money.

I like your plan of a blind tasting. Hope you post what you and your friend find out.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I have had it and still have a few bottles. I was not a huge fan, I prefer my clone to it actually. I think Westy 8 was far better than the 12 also. I am not a huge Belgian beer fan though/

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I have an original bottle that wasn't slated for the US and a bottle that was slated for the US. I used to prefer Belgians, but my tastes have changed. Granted, I still enjoy them and look forward to seeing what it is all about.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Cliff the beer balla... he's good buddies with the head monk who ships to him every year.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Since the monk took a vow of silence, it's all by email, letter or carrier pigeon :laugh:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had one a number of years ago that I got off ebay from some guy in Belgium. Had another one recently from the Westy brick that was sold in the US. I really liked it both times. It is a great beer but Rochefort is just as good IMO. Worth trying at least once though. Would love to do a blind taste test with the other Trappist quads.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I have not had the opportunity to try this yet but it is in my top 3 to try beers. I am hoping to find a bottle of it one of these days. I was excited for the American release, but the bricks never came to Washington :cryloud:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have had this a half a dozen times so far. All different amounts of age on it. It has varied from holy shit this is what all quad's should taste like. To meh this is oxidized crap. I am sure it had something to do with the handeling of the beer and what the age was. The best one I had was about 3-4 years old if I remember. Honestly unless you really love the style of that beer I would not chase it. But this is only my opinion

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was at a party last weekend, and as it started to break up, the host turned to me and quietly said, "Stick around for awhile."

He went inside, and came out with a bottle of the stuff, and the accompanying proprietary glass.

I was so in shock at what was about to happen, and had already been in the cups awhile, that I didn't realize he was handing me both at the same time.

I saved the beer by somehow using my hand, and the glass to catch it.

Goblet broke off from the stem, and the stem, went into my index finger.

With that said, I may have only lost a teaspoon of the beer, which was in my lap.

I drank with a gauze wrapped around my finger, from the stemless goblet.

A blood sacrifice apparently for such a beer.

Or the answer to the question of who would do a party foul with such a rare beer.

With all that said, I was quite amazed at how good it was. The thing that surprised me the most was how integrated the flavors were. Distinct, but not jarring.

I have order replacement glasses on eBay to honor my friend's generosity.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have dranken (or drunken ;) ) many, many, many beers and hell even have brewed 50 batches or soo but never had this stuff. So like with anything I did a google search.

So if you are wondering (like me) what the Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) is..... it is a quadrupel and comes in at 10.20% ABV. If you are wondering what a qaudrupel is too (like me) it is.... "Quadrupel is a Belgian style ale of great strength with bolder flavor compared to its Dubbel and Tripel sister styles. Typically a dark creation that ranges within the deep red, brown and garnet hues. Full bodied with a rich malty palate. Phenols are usually at a moderate level. Sweet with a low bitterness yet a well perceived alcohol."

SO basically it's a Tripel (AKA Trippel, tripel, triple) on 'roids.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a BelgiAn beer nut. I've had this beer in my cart before but have never made it to the checkout with it yet. I'm hesitant because of the high abv as I don't like too much body in my beer. My absolute favorite beer in this range is Tripel Karmelit with Duvell as my second favorite.