What's new

Who's paying??

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Yeah, I heard about this taking the kids to school to day. This part is what pisses me off

"It is a system in which the top 10 percent of earners -- households making an average of $366,400 in 2006 -- paid about 73 percent of the income taxes collected by the federal government.

The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment.

"We have 50 percent of people who are getting something for nothing," said Curtis Dubay, senior tax policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation".

The government is always attacking the rich, hell, if they did not pay, there would be no government as it would collapse. This is the reason I am in favor of a straight across the board flat tax of like 12.5%. You make this much, send in 12.5%.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My household income isn't any where near $366,000 but I paid some and almost always do. And I have a pretty good accountant. Now I get a nice healthy refund every year thanks to two small children, daycare, and a mortgage, but my total tax liability certainly isn't zero. Something doesn't jive for me with this article.....:dunno:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Yeah, I heard about this taking the kids to school to day. This part is what pisses me off

"It is a system in which the top 10 percent of earners -- households making an average of $366,400 in 2006 -- paid about 73 percent of the income taxes collected by the federal government.

The bottom 40 percent, on average, make a profit from the federal income tax, meaning they get more money in tax credits than they would otherwise owe in taxes. For those people, the government sends them a payment.

"We have 50 percent of people who are getting something for nothing," said Curtis Dubay, senior tax policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation".

The government is always attacking the rich, hell, if they did not pay, there would be no government as it would collapse. This is the reason I am in favor of a straight across the board flat tax of like 12.5%. You make this much, send in 12.5%.
Shoot, if my tax rate was only 12.5% I would have gotten paid!

lucky1

Average Joe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sick and tired of the government confiscating my hard-earned money :angerhead

If the people running our government were running a private company in the same fashion, they'd all be wearing orange jumpsuits in a cell next to Bernie Madoff. Social Security = biggest Ponzi Scheme in the history of humanity.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Even with me not having any taxable income (Montgomery GI bill is tax exempt). My wife and I might end up with a bit of a refund but liability certainly isn't 0 even with only one taxable income less than $60k.

Just realized this is from last year.

Plush, The dirty little secret is that if they went flat tax they'd probably make so much money it could be lower than 12% and still run on surpluses to pay down the ridiculous debt we have. Our rulers can't cut special deals for their buddies in industry that way so they wouldn't get their campaign donations. Life would be grand eh?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My household income isn't any where near $366,000 but I paid some and almost always do. And I have a pretty good accountant. Now I get a nice healthy refund every year thanks to two small children, daycare, and a mortgage, but my total tax liability certainly isn't zero. Something doesn't jive for me with this article.....:dunno:
What part of it doesn't jive for you? Seriously asking as I'm guessing I or someone else can help clear it up. I've done tons of research on this particular topic. Keep in mind that to be included in the top 50% of tax-payers in 2008 you had to have an AGI of just over $33K. So when the article is talking about nearly half of tax payers escaping any liability, it's talking about filers with an AGI of under $33K (or somewhere around that number as it is a couple of years old). Combine that with the "Fully Refundable Tax Credits" mentioned in the article, and what's so hard to believe?

Here's an article from 2009 discussing this:

Refundable Credits Redistribute Income
The bottom 40 percent of income earners actually paid a negative share of federal income taxes in 2006. In other words, these taxpayers are actually paid money through the tax code. This happens through refundable credits like the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit, which result in "refunds" when they are greater than the taxpayer's total income tax liability.
For instance, if a family with one child has an income tax liability of $300, it can claim the Child Tax Credit, which wipes out their tax liability, and still receive $700 from the IRS for the remainder of the $1,000 credit. On April 15, not only do the bottom 40 percent of all taxpayers pay no taxes, but they actually receive additional income from the IRS.
Refundable credits redistribute income from the top 20 percent of earners to the remaining tax filers, with the bottom 20 percent the prime beneficiaries. The bottom quintile's share of income, measured after taxes, actually increased a whopping 17 percent compared to its pre-tax levels because of the income they got from refundable credits. Comparing shares of income before taxes are paid to after, only the top quintile saw their share of income decline.

To answer the question of the OP, I don't know yet, but I'm expecting to pay due to some financial moves this past year. We also started up a business so I don't know how that's going to affect things yet. Will probably be the first year I'll use an accountant rather than doing things myself.