What's new

Why are all the big cigar shops in Pennsylvania?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why are all the big cigar shops in Pennsylvania? Do they have like some sort of "cigar shop tax credit" or something? I live in a state with a super regressive "sin tax" system, so there aren't many true cigar shops at all out here outside the big cities. I'm a little jealous! Our "cigar shops" are usually just stores with a poorly maintained glass front 'humidor' with 78% of the floor space occupied by paraphernalia and cigarette junk :p.
But i am genuinely curious as to why Pennsylvania seems to have this market so cornered.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And leaf serves food, beer, wine and liquor. Its great.
I go to the Leaf Bar every month or so. Great gastropub fare and an outstanding selection of local and other craft beers. And like most other B&Ms if you buy 5 sticks you get the 6th free (or is it 5 for the price of 4?). In fact I'm going there this Friday. There is a small lounge as well with half a dozen theater seats if you just want to sit and smoke.

The tax savings in PA over NJ makes up for 40 minute drive from central NJ. There's even an easy way around the toll over the Easton bridge on Rte 22.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Pa has no taxes on cigars. You pay the 6% sales tax, but nothing else. We do tax cigarettes, and just recently started taxing loose tobacco and snuff. But cigars escaped that tax increase.

Don't buy gas in PA though. We have the highest gasoline tax in the country.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Pa has no taxes on cigars. You pay the 6% sales tax, but nothing else. We do tax cigarettes, and just recently started taxing loose tobacco and snuff. But cigars escaped that tax increase.

Don't buy gas in PA though. We have the highest gasoline tax in the country.
Last year NJ increased its gas tax by 21¢ making it comparable to PA and DE. We went from one of the cheapest in the nation to middle of the pack. It's not as bad as NY or CT though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last year NJ increased its gas tax by 21¢ making it comparable to PA and DE. We went from one of the cheapest in the nation to middle of the pack. It's not as bad as NY or CT though.
There were only two good things about living in New Jersey: Awesome diners and cheap gasoline.

At least you still have the diners.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were only two good things about living in New Jersey: Awesome diners and cheap gasoline.

At least you still have the diners.
There are a few unique diners in PA too. Rte 30 in Ronks (awesome fruit pies), Rte 29 in Allentown and in Tannersville on 611. However, all you need to do is just drive up Rte 1 in NJ and you'll hit one every couple of miles.

However, I'm still trying to figure out why I haven't moved west across the river yet.

We also do have a couple of JR lounges in North Jersey. One doesn't even need to buy a stick there to sit and smoke. The Whippany lounge is huge with a bar and some food. However their restaurant pales in comparison to the Leaf Bar in Easton.

And Quick Check and it's the home of (adoptive or otherwise) of Devil Dog John Basilone.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PA has long been a smoker friendly state - you can still smoke in our bars as long as they don't serve too much food! The above commenters hit the nail on the head, our legislators have shielded hand rolled cigars from the sin taxes that apply to cigarettes and snuff.

I think that has helped our traditional pipe/cigar lounges stay focused on premium products without resorting to vapes and paraphernalia. Hopefully we keep our taxes low and our cigars plentiful!!