What's new

Why don't people use their knife?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It seems to me that overall you could classify cigar smokers as "manly men." It's safe to assume that any "manly man" carries a pocket knife on him every day. Any "manly man" worth his salt can sharpen his knife to hair splitting levels.

So why aren't they cutting their cigar with it?

I've been cutting my cigars with my knife for years and it's never failed me. Sure, a dull knife can tear the wrapper but as long as the knife is sharp it'll slice right through any cap thrown it's way.

Any given day I'm already carrying enough crap on my person to fill a lady's purse (cigar, phone, watch, rings, knife, firearm, wallet, chapstick, keys, lighter, and sunglasses). Why would I add a cutter to the mix? Is there some secret cigar cutting benefit I'm missing?

:ninja:

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
It seems to me that overall you could classify cigar smokers as "manly men." It's safe to assume that any "manly man" carries a pocket knife on him every day. Any "manly man" worth his salt can sharpen his knife to hair splitting levels.

So why aren't they cutting their cigar with it?

I've been cutting my cigars with my knife for years and it's never failed me. Sure, a dull knife can tear the wrapper but as long as the knife is sharp it'll slice right through any cap thrown it's way.

Any given day I'm already carrying enough crap on my person to fill a lady's purse (cigar, phone, watch, rings, knife, firearm, wallet, chapstick, keys, lighter, and sunglasses). Why would I add a cutter to the mix? Is there some secret cigar cutting benefit I'm missing?

:ninja:
Call me weird when it comes to cleanliness, but considering some of the stuff I've used to cut my pocket-knife with, I wouldn't want it touching the head of my cigar.

If I'm packing or carrying my cigars, I usually have my cutter with me. No big deal.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ease of use with a dedicated cutter? Cigar toys are cool?
All the first cigars I bought I cut with pocket knife. I can't say they came out to pretty and I ate a bit of tobacco on each of them, I also.had no idea what I was doing. Cutters make a easier accurate cut. A knife really relies on how steady a hand ya have. I still gotta go with cigar toys are cool though.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I just took this picture yesterday telling my friends I love to carry a knife to cut my cigars. Lol. Hilarious timing! I think it works great though. You just need to keep it sharp.
Glad to see I'm not the only one! And yes, a sharp blade is a must otherwise it tears the whole thing up

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Glad to see I'm not the only one! And yes, a sharp blade is a must otherwise it tears the whole thing up
Honestly, the reason I enjoy it is because it adds to the build up to my smoke. Preparation is half the fun of smoking and having a personal tradition and taking time to cut this way really works up my appetite for a good smoke. ;)

Tapatalk makes me wet.....

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
If I happen to forget my cutter I've just taken my knife and cut a X in the head. Works for me in a pinch!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Call my weird when it comes to cleanliness, but considering some of the stuff I've used to cut my pocket-knife with, I wouldn't want it touching the head of my cigar.
^^^this^^^
I carry an knife and yesterday cut open a bag of fertilizer, bag of gravel and cut some tree branches. Sure wipe down the knife afterwards but wouldn't think of cutting a cigar with it afterwards. Although now you got me thinking maybe should get me a gentlemans knife to clip my cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha Ha...I use a punch which is on my key ring. Small, convenient, and does the job well on a 54 ring. I always thought that real manly men just like in the western saloons would just chomp the end of their stick with their teeth and spit out the cap. The rest of us, including myself are just wimps in comparison. Ha Ha....

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
No knife expert here, but it seems like the cutter would provide an even, controlled cut versus using a (possibly shaky?) hand.
Also, wouldn't the wedge shape of the blade (being much thicker than a thin cutter blade)be likely to cause damage? :dunno:

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
the blade is sharp, but heavy usage has blunted the tip, nicked up the edge and isnt exactly good for cutting such a delicate flower leaf.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
No knife expert here, but it seems like the cutter would provide an even, controlled cut versus using a (possibly shaky?) hand.
Also, wouldn't the wedge shape of the blade (being much thicker than a thin cutter blade)be likely to cause damage? :dunno:
This was my thought also. And being anal-retentive-boarder-line-ocd... yeah, I'll stick to my Xikars.

(The thought of using anything else is giving me the creeps).

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I use a punch and I also carry a lighter with built in punch (Xikar Element) so I always have a way to smoke a non shaped cigar. Torpedoes, figurados, etc, still need a cutter... have to plan ahead

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I will use a pocket knife when I can't find a cutter or it makes sense not to carry one.

I always smile when people talk about the cleanliness if a cutter. Same pocket, same world. Lend it to a guy and first thing he does is slobber on his cigar before cutting it. Watch guys in a shop. They do it all the time. Clean? Nah.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still pretty new at this so what I do probably doesn't really matter, however..

I have been using this lately.

I use it for just about anytime a sharp pokey item is required. I do try to at least rinse it off every couple days or so but as long as there is no visible dirt on it, it's clean enough for me. I mean, if I dropped it on a cow patty I'd probably clean it off with some soap or something.

It works way better than the $2 plastic cutter I own anyways... I really need to stop spending on cigars and get some accessories.