What's new

Why I don't bash cigars or cigar companies.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring of course to cigars or cigar companies I do not like. I'm not talking about reviewing a cigar and giving a honest opinion about it. But just bashing when somebody else has a thread about a cigar or company. Everybody has seen it, I have done it in the past. It's human nature to put your thoughts out there when you read something. But here is my reason for trying not to do it (nobody is perfect so I can't say I will not or never do it).

Back when I first started smoking cigars around 6 or 7 years ago I had no idea what the cigar industry was about, how it worked or the people that drove it. If there was a cigar I didn't like I could care less if it went out of business and disappeared off the face of the earth! Same with infused and flavor cigars, didn't care about them, didn't like that way they smelled etc... If I went to a event and meet somebody I thought was cocky or didn't like for whatever reason, screw them was my first thought.

Now I know so much more, one of the most important things to consider rather I like a cigar or not is the other people that do like it. For example the infused cigars I hated back when, well I still, don't smoke them but just think for a minute on how they sell. They fly off the shelves in a lot of shops and a lot of the people that buy them are new smokers. New smokers are very important to the cigar business and to other cigar smokers! Why are they important to us? Well they are going to be on our side and help us fight the fight against smoking bans, tobacco taxes etc...

So any cigar that brings or keeps cigar smokers smoking I am not going to bash them, may not buy the cigars but I still wish them great success.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Did you read the first two lines of my rant LOL. Opinions are good and needed, just bashing is a different story.
Yes I did, but after reading the rest of it, it seemed like you consider saying you don't like a cigar would be bashing it. Or thinking Acids smell terrible would be bashing it.... which are both opinions and not "bashing" it to me.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I agree for the most part... but sometimes you just have to bash. Viaje, RP, Gurkha come to mind.

Why? Because tactics such as the ones employed by these companies actually hurt the cigar business IMHO. They place more emphasis on grand-standing, marketing hype and image rather than the quality of their product. If these companies are allowed to thrive, then we will see less quality and more turds on the market. We have to preserve and cherish those companies that provide a quality product and adhere to tradition and conduct their business with integrity.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did, but after reading the rest of it, it seemed like you consider saying you don't like a cigar would be bashing it. Or thinking Acids smell terrible would be bashing it.... which are both opinions and not "bashing" it to me.
Guess I wasn't clear then. Saying you think like something is not bashing, but depending on how they say it I guess it could be.

I will use R___ P____ as a example.

Opinion:
I tried the Fus__n the other day and it just lacked flavor and burned fast and hot for me.

Bash: (just a example)
R___ is an a$$, ever meet the guy? Total toll that is all about himself! Don't even think about trying his cigars they all suck just like he does.

I think we have all seen both examples on forums.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Acid is not my best seller, not even in the top 10 sellers in the store. I have no issues with them, in fact I agree that they are a great intro cigar to new folks looking to get into this hobby.

Hayblet

Guided Missle
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ask any cigar shop what their best selling cigar is. ACID.
For that matter ask Drew Estate. #1 overall I believe was and still is Kuba Kuba.
Both of these statements are pretty much true, I had the pleasure of chilling with Steve Saka at an after Cigarfest little mini party for about an hour before other people started to show up, and we discussed many things including Viaje, Acid's and most of, if not all of the DE lines. He said ask most sop owner's what sells in their top 5 and Acid will be there, he sorta wouldn't commit to comment on Farkas' "tactics" for lack of a better term but, he did explain a little bit about what he does (Andrew) and how it just works. He also said a lot of former major brands have pretty much just become "House Brands". I learned so much about the biz from him just on one singular night, and even then 4 hours at best, to really open my eyes and understand that like the original post said opinions do matter and Acid cigars will bring more to the pool when the bans start becoming more serious. We really should not bash per say, even if you've had countless bad experiences, but just lend an opinion and let people enjoy what they smoke regardless if it's a 2.00 house stick, an Acid, CC's, or the super expensive premium blends. I've lurked on many forums and piost on few and I will say Gurkha and Acid by far get the biggest bash when they bring in the most smokers. :dunno:
Just my two cents is all.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variety is truly the spice of life. I try not to bash brands since some of my best friends smoke RP and others I would not give the time of day. Their personalities and marketing styles are just that - theirs to live with. If you think Gurkha is a great smoke, more power to you.

Much like cars; I would not be caught dead in a Kia, or God help you if you think Hyundai is anything less than junk on wheels. But in reality, many americans drive them and think they are awesome, or at the very least they are within their budget so they proudly drive them.

Cars, cigars or women. Variety is the spice, far be it for me to outwardly judge others choices.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Never smoked an acid, nor do I intend to. Hope thats not bashing. :)

People can smoke what they want, doesn't bother me any.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Variety is truly the spice of life. I try not to bash brands since some of my best friends smoke RP and others I would not give the time of day. Their personalities and marketing styles are just that - theirs to live with. If you think Gurkha is a great smoke, more power to you.

Much like cars; I would not be caught dead in a Kia, or God help you if you think Hyundai is anything less than junk on wheels. But in reality, many americans drive them and think they are awesome, or at the very least they are within their budget so they proudly drive them.

Cars, cigars or women. Variety is the spice, far be it for me to outwardly judge others choices.
But isn't that what you're doing exactly? How do you know folks on this board don't drive Hyundais? What's so wrong with them anyways? (rhetorical question btw. Not interested in a car debate.) The same was said about toyotas and hondas way back when... that turned out to be erroneous.

I don't see anything wrong from an ethics point of view to warrant bashing Hyundai. OTOH, I do have a problem with Viaje, RP, and Gurkha for just being slimy. I'm cool with Acids, they are what they are, a lot of folks enjoy them and I plain and simply don't see a reason to bash them at all. They are honest with their product and that is enough for me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree for the most part... but sometimes you just have to bash. Viaje, RP, Gurkha come to mind.

Why? Because tactics such as the ones employed by these companies actually hurt the cigar business IMHO. They place more emphasis on grand-standing, marketing hype and image rather than the quality of their product. If these companies are allowed to thrive, then we will see less quality and more turds on the market. We have to preserve and cherish those companies that provide a quality product and adhere to tradition and conduct their business with integrity.
I think "time" will take care of the companies who do not make a quality product. I bacame a cigar smoker at the beginning of the boom in 1990. I lived through all the crap that came out for the next five year and watched them disapear soon after. The quality and variety of cigars we have today does not compare to 1997. I see Drew, Pete, DPG, and Dion's affect on the business. They are getting peoples attention both in the smoking community and production community. Mostly things are changing for the better even under the oppression we have to deal with.

Opinions are needed. It helps to steer the industry. They also help us out. Just saying some cigar or cigar company "sucks" without explianing why is wrong. I Never base my opinion of a cigar on one experience smoking it. I will try others before the opinion is fully formed. These are hand made products and you can get a bad one. If it consistly occurs then thats another matter.

With Acid bringing new people to the hobby that is fine with me. I once saw an interview with R.L. Burnside. R.L. is an old blues man from the hills of north Mississippi. He got flack from the blues community for making some albums with Jon Spencer of Jon Spencers Blues Explosion. RL stated that his albums with Jon were bringing kids to the blues who normally would not listen to it.These new listeners would then become intersted in the blues and explore other blues artists. If that didn't happen then blues would die.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think "time" will take care of the companies who do not make a quality product. I bacame a cigar smoker at the beginning of the boom in 1990. I lived through all the crap that came out for the next five year and watched them disapear soon after. The quality and variety of cigars we have today does not compare to 1997. I see Drew, Pete, DPG, and Dion's affect on the business. They are getting peoples attention both in the smoking community and production community. Mostly things are changing for the better even under the oppression we have to deal with.

Opinions are needed. It helps to steer the industry. They also help us out. Just saying some cigar or cigar company "sucks" without explianing why is wrong. I Never base my opinion of a cigar on one experience smoking it. I will try others before the opinion is fully formed. These are hand made products and you can get a bad one. If it consistly occurs then thats another matter.

With Acid bringing new people to the hobby that is fine with me. I once saw an interview with R.L. Burnside. R.L. is an old blues man from the hills of north Mississippi. He got flack from the blues community for making some albums with Jon Spencer of Jon Spencers Blues Explosion. RL stated that his albums with Jon were bringing kids to the blues who normally would not listen to it.These new listeners would then become intersted in the blues and explore other blues artists. If that didn't happen then blues would die.
Absolutely agree... I got no problem with Acid. They have their place in the market, and they have a positive role. I don't smoke them, don't see a reason to bash them. People truly enjoy the smoking experience, and that to me is positive.

But imagine if every new cigar company starts copying Viaje, because they see how good their tactics work. They start releasing "limited editions" all the time and cigars that are 4 x 60 called nuclear bomb or tomahawk missile. That kind of influence and the role they are playing isn't positive IMHO. We as a cigar community have a responsibility to preserve cigar culture and not let it turn into a carnival show.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But isn't that what you're doing exactly? How do you know folks on this board don't drive Hyundais? What's so wrong with them anyways? (rhetorical question btw. Not interested in a car debate.) The same was said about toyotas and hondas way back when... that turned out to be erroneous.

I don't see anything wrong from an ethics point of view to warrant bashing Hyundai. OTOH, I do have a problem with Viaje, RP, and Gurkha for just being slimy. I'm cool with Acids, they are what they are, a lot of folks enjoy them and I plain and simply don't see a reason to bash them at all. They are honest with their product and that is enough for me.

You missed my point completely - my fault for not stating it better.

I could choose to outwardly bash people's choices in cars, cigars or women, but I choose not to.

I hate those small, junk cars, but others love them, so who am I to knock their choices? As long as I remain silent, no one is the wiser or affected/influenced by my comments. Same goes for cigars, etc.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
You missed my point completely - my fault for not stating it better.

I could choose to outwardly bash people's choices in cars, cigars or women, but I choose not to.

I hate those small, junk cars, but others love them, so who am I to knock their choices? As long as I remain silent, no one is the wiser or affected/influenced by my comments. Same goes for cigars, etc.
I am not sure I agree with the bolded part, this is a discussion forum. If people feel the need to "bash" a product and feel they have a good reason for it then so be it. See Le Buzz's comments in this thread about a couple companies and why he doesn't support them.

I respect the fact that some feel they shouldn't bash companies because they feel it hurts the industry and so be it. But we are talking about a small population of cigar smokers in a discussion forum here.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
This is a good discussion. Agree wholeheartedly that anything which brings new smokers to the ranks is a good thing. Goodness knows I smoked some bad cigars when I started, mostly on recommendations from the guy at The Tinder Box. But, you eventually weed through the hyped-up sticks and gravitate to the quality smokes.

No Internet when I started smoking, so aside from reading a cigar mag, you nosed around the smoke shop and asked other guys what they liked.

Whether it's gun guys arguing Sig vs Glock, or truck guys arguing Dodge vs Ford, or smokers dissing RP cigars, nobody likes a snob.