What's new

Why I don't bash cigars or cigar companies.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think everything has its own place, sure maybe bashing a cigar in public is one thins but on a cigarforum another.

I hate when people say well we all like diffrent things so no one is right or wrong. There has to be a understanding of what quality is, balance, depth, construction, aging potenital and price all should matter. This is after all a cigarforum and I dont think smoking is for everybody for that reason I dont like cigars that taste candy or vanilla.

They might sell in some countrys BUT for me it is a joke, it would be like saying plase make a whisky that tastes like pepsi because I like to drink whisky but I want it to taste pepsi.

My English is not the best but I hope you can understand what I mean.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I agree with the bolded part, this is a discussion forum. If people feel the need to "bash" a product and feel they have a good reason for it then so be it. See Le Buzz's comments in this thread about a couple companies and why he doesn't support them.

I respect the fact that some feel they shouldn't bash companies because they feel it hurts the industry and so be it. But we are talking about a small population of cigar smokers in a discussion forum here.

We are all entitled to an opinion. I've voiced mine, and respect the thoughts of others.

With that said and knowing most of you would rather hear the truth - hopefully none of you own a Kia or a Hyundai. If you do, you might as well come out of the closet and admit you also smoke Acids and Gurkhas, and you have the taste of a billygoat. :eyepoke:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I could choose to outwardly bash people's choices in cars, cigars or women, but I choose not to.
With that said and knowing most of you would rather hear the truth - hopefully none of you own a Kia or a Hyundai. If you do, you might as well come out of the closet and admit you also smoke Acids and Gurkhas, and you have the taste of a billygoat. :eyepoke:
Uh.. hrm.. Uhm.. yeah, I got nothing. Think this just speaks for itself....

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What I like and smoke might be a dog rocket to you and vice-versa. That's why I say smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

You are right though. Flamin' on a cigar that you don't like is wrong. It may and has turned off other individuals from trying a certain cigar that otherwise they might like.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Thank You for the answers and this topic, I smoke a couple cigars that a lot of people don't like and it really gets old hearing how they are dog rockets period over and over.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to have some fun, I have a cigar party you can through for your friends, especially if they are cigar snobs. Get a mix of different cigars, remove the bands and replace with a number. Have them choose a cigar to smoke and give thier opinion and maybe guess the country of origion. Doing a truely blind taste remove any affect the name and band can have on your preception of what the cigar is.

I have done this several times with my little cigar club and it is always funny.

New guys coming into the hobby will have to learn what is good to them as we all have. Everyone has different pallate. The only way to find what you like is through experience. Guidiance from the seasoned smoker helps but everyone smokes a dog rocket everyonce in a while.

I look at peoples reviews to get a sense of what they got from the smoke. If they are bashing it doesn't mean I wont try it. If they say it is too strong for them then thats a plus in my book. I love a cigar that kicks my teeth in. So you never know when your experience, good or bad, will help another out.

Liteumup

CRA Member #202832
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Welcome to the BOTL Tx where conversation can become as spicey as a Pepin pepperpot :)

In 1999 I would go to my local B&M in warwick RI and buy a $4 Puros Indios because they rated a 92 in CA....It was the highest rated cigar I could afford to buy at the time----My have times changed........today these bad boys are sold online in "Satchels" and are ranked the highest in "dog rocket" listings by many folks on this sight....To me puffing away on these bad boys today is like sucking on a straw.

But 2 years ago its what brought me back in- I saw a promo for them and bought a bunch- My buddy and I smoked some , loved them, and we evolved.....myself into a Pepin whore (EO,Tat) and my buddy into a AJ fan. But Puros Indios was our "Gateway"

So im w/ you- why slam? to each their own based on disposable income, Palate and lifestyle...I cant squeeze in 3 a day- If I could they wouldnt/couldnt be $10+ smokes...It would be what makes me happy regardless of what you Bozos say :)

WHAT A HOBBY!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the answers and this topic, I smoke a couple cigars that a lot of people don't like and it really gets old hearing how they are dog rockets period over and over.
It turned into a good discussion thread, to be honest I wasn't sure how everybody would take it and figured I may get bashed LOL.

Just to be clear I think we do need reviews good or bad, my intent wasn't pointed at cigar reviews.

dowjr1

Dan O
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is the same with Martial Arts. As a long time practitioner (in more than one style), it is common to hear someond dismiss one style for another. The reality is that there is some good in them all and why take the time and energy to bash? Same with stogies...dif strokes for dif folks. The real enemy (deserving of our energy and bash) are those trying to take our stogie rights away.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Ask any cigar shop what their best selling cigar is. ACID.
Not true. Although we sell a LOT of Acids, it's not even close to our best selling cigar. They do have a market, and I'm the first one to stand up for guys who smoke them, although you couldn't pay me to smoke one. I am however a firm believer in like what you smoke, smoke what you like.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nope I do not agree with you on this one. If there is one thing I have is the freedom to speck my mind-Im not giving up any of my rights or freedom of expression just b/c Im a cigar smoker-to support cigar makers/smokers. Even the term "cigar bashing" seems to remind me a CEO of some cigar manufacturer crying about how poeple mistake how he does or does not put additives in his wrappers w/o informing the consumers or the present binge of somewhat underhanded marketing tactics designed to increase sales thru "limited releases". Speech-disent-expression-opinions are good and stimulate our (cigar) culture. Sometimes it can keep people honest too.:cbig:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Nope I do not agree with you on this one. If there is one thing I have is the freedom to speck my mind-Im not giving up any of my rights or freedom of expression just b/c Im a cigar smoker-to support cigar makers/smokers. Even the term "cigar bashing" seems to remind me a CEO of some cigar manufacturer crying about how poeple mistake how he does or does not put additives in his wrappers w/o informing the consumers or the present binge of somewhat underhanded marketing tactics designed to increase sales thru "limited releases". Speech-disent-expression-opinions are good and stimulate our (cigar) culture. Sometimes it can keep people honest too.:cbig:
I'm inclined to agree with you. Bash or not bash. Critique or support. If it's out of hand, let the moderators resolve. Otherwise - free speech rules.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why in the title and the body of the OP it's about me and nobody else! I would never tell anybody not to use their freedom to speak their mind! And I'm not keeping myself from doing it either, otherwise I would not have started this thread. And as stated before I'm not talking about reviews. I don't do many now days but if I smoked a bad cigar for a review thats how it would be written.

PS: I'm glad you edited your original post.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Maybe we should give Gurkah a pass for their misrepresentative marketing practices. Case in point. Seal Team 6 kills Bin Laden and Gurkah sees dollar signs. Releases info that Seal Team 6 celebrated with a Fuggin Special Forces cigar made by Gurkah. When all Gurkah did was send a box of smokes to some military address addressed to the team. This being aside from blatant misrepresentations of the quality of the tobacco and ultimate quality of their cigars and redonk MSRP values they place on them.

In the same light we should give a pass to Rocky Patel for making the smoothest most uniform painted maduros on the market. After that, he releases “the best” cigar he’s ever made, every month. So again, misleading the general public into buying a igar that is not what it is made out to be.

These are only 2 that come to mind as mentioned earlier. I could throw in Viaje, but some of those cigar are actually decent. I just don’t like the “hype” he tries for with the LE lines, and the F’n copycat moves he makes on a regular basis.

We also need to remember the cigar world exists in huge numbers outside of the internet. And those people wil continue to be led like sheep to the slaughter. So I will continue to voice my opinion when it comes to things I like or dislike, whether or not someone thinks the cigar market is going to be hurt by that. If you happen to like the Gurkah Special Forces cigar or a painted maduro, well that is you, and you shoud keep on keepin on. I feel if more people knew about these practices, then these companies would be forced to release a product that is made to higher standards. And this is why I WILL bash certain cigars.

Last edited:

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Well la little bit of friendly bashing is always fun, I mean seriously the Red Sox suck!