What's new

Why I Opened a Cigar Company in Asia

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5:45 P.M.: another business meeting at my favorite local business hangout in Beijing. I order my regular, an Old Fashioned, grab the cigar menu and there it is: Cuban cigars. A typical smoker’s paradise, but my own Dante’s Inferno.
The usual suspects are all on the list. Cohiba, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Fonseca -- the list is endless, dropping ‘big names’ effortlessly and shallowly. I have an insatiable urge to have a cigar with my Old Fashioned, even at the exorbitant price of $45USD a cigar. This is my conundrum: it’s not the price that drives me insane, it’s the fact that there’s a good chance that these cigars are either counterfeit or stale because of improper storage.
I place the menu down, use my common sense, and ignore my urge to smoke. However. after three drinks, my common sense has kissed me goodbye and walked out the door. I give in. I grab the menu and I order a cigar. Using whatever’s left of my instincts, I think to order a lesser-known brand, maybe a Fonseca or Cuaba, because maybe there’ll be a chance that they’re actually genuine.
I call over the waiter, point to the cigar, and he scampers off, bringing me a box of cigars, cutters, and a torch. I pour over the box, looking, touching, and smelling them with all of my 25 years of experience, and I pick the best out of the bin. I’m not convinced; I’ve smoked Cubans in Zurich and Canada, and I don’t remember them being quite like the ones in front of me.
So, I take a drink and proceed with my ritual of lighting. I gently remove the label, pour over it for one more time to check for any tell-tale signs of it being counterfeit, but at this point I can’t have any buyer’s remorse. I start gently warming my cigar, and then I start toasting it, blowing gently to get an even amber cherry glow. Once I see that fully rounded red amber cherry, I proceed to cut my cigar.
I place the cigar in my mouth, strongly puff it to have a proper burn, lay the cigar down grab my drink cleanse my palate. I take a gentle slow puff, I hold it and slowly expel the smoke and then it hits me like a ton of bricks. This tastes disgusting. It’s a fetid slurry of hamster piss and aromas of dumpster, but, maybe I’m wrong. I puff again, but to no avail. It’s just another bad cigar in Asia.
I sit there in my sorrow, order another Old Fashioned and refuse to smoke the cigar I ordered. I reminisce all those cigars I smoked back home in Miami, and I ask myself why I can’t find them in China.
There begins my quest to educate and bring quality non-Cuban cigars to Asia.
By: Franjose Yglesias of Cathay Cigars of Asia - May 4th, 2015

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Hi, I'm THEMISCHMAN. I really like Tatuaje, Illusione, My Father, Crowned Heads and really a bunch of other brands. I've been into cigars for a few years and am a member of a few other sites.

Thanks for the story. Please use the search function before creating any threads relating to humidity, bands on or off, favorite sticks under (insert dollar amount here), favorite lighter/cutter, wineadors, or anything else that's been covered a million times.

Ryan, goes to China sometimes too.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
That's a great reason to open a business find a need, fill the need. You'll be surprised at how many good sticks you can bring to the market that many may want. @ChuckMejia tecently hung out with some European servicemen and they wants all the NCs they could get due to the scarcity of them where they live. Good luck in your endeavor.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Welcome to BOTL @cathaycigars

Having spent quite a bit of "quality" time in Asia myself (primarily China, Taiwan and HK) I feel your pain and admire your entrepreneurial spirit (y)