What's new

"Why I Smoke a Pipe" - by Phil Webb

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Found this very nice essay on pipe smoking, link...the last few paragraphs sum it up nicely...

"I smoke a pipe in the hope that one day I will be the kind, gentlemanly grandfather, teaching my grandson the finer points of whittling, fishing and hunting or bicycle riding, telling the story of the year McGwire broke the record and explaining what a "Television" was and why we spent so much time in front of one.
I smoke a pipe in the hope that one day I will be both a father and a daddy to my son, teaching him to hit and catch, to be a gentleman and to respect a lady, to support him whether he chooses to learn football or opera, whether he chooses to be a doctor or a truck driver, or even a lawyer. It is my sincere desire that when the time comes and he is of age, I can pass my art and avocation on to him, and in that smoke and briar, he will be reminded of who I was, and who he can be.

I smoke a pipe in the hope that one day I will be both a father and daddy to my daughter, teaching her through my example what to expect in a man, to offer her protection and security, and to encourage her to leave my security and protection and build her own. It is my hope that one day she will find a mate who will provide for her, challenge her, cause her to grow, and who she will challenge and cause to grow. It is my desire that when, in later days she smells a pipe, that she will again be reminded, comforted and challenged, that she will be reminded of who I was, and who she can be.

I smoke a pipe in the hope that one day my children, grandchildren and friends will walk by someone or someplace and smell the burning leaf and seek out its owner and not curse or revile him, but thank him for reminding them of a person who was both wise and fun, strong and gentle and a source of richness and enjoyment in their life, that that memory would be of me."

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Scientists say that of all our senses and experiences, aromas have the strongest influence on memory.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
tedski said:
Scientists say that of all our senses and experiences, aromas have the strongest influence on memory.
That is definitely true, pick up some play-dough and you'll feel like a kid again! :smokingbo

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Definitely agree with music, especially those songs you haven't heard in a while but listened to ALL the time.