What's new

Why is the wrapper so important?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've often read that the wrapper leaf on a cigar has a dominant influence on the overall flavor. I always wondered why. If we look at a typical 48-50 rg cigar there is typically one leaf of a stronger flavor in the center of the bunch. This is surrounded by 2 or 3 of other types of leaves. It is then wrapped in 1 or 2 binder leaves and finally one wrapper leaf on the exterior. The wrapper leaf makes up, at best, only 1/5 of the tobacco. So why would that one leaf, which is not the strongest flavored leaf, have such a large impact on the overall cigar experience? Does it have to do with the fact that as it burns it has easier access to oxygen and that somehow impacts its contribution to the cigar experience? Does anyone have a answer or maybe a theory?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I think the best way to experience this difference is to buy cigars with the same blend and different wrappers (is it the black dog by crowned heads? Pretty sure it's the four kicks blend with a maduro wrapper).

As a homeroller, it's crazy how a wrapper can completely change the flavor and experience. Sure it's not a lot of quantity, but it goes around the cigar 3 times!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I have read that the wrapper has differing degrees of influence on the flavor/aromas of cigars, from 20% to 60% .
This seems to be true of all countries of origin, types of tobacco, and curing processes.
I have never read anything that describes why this is so.
I know from my home rolling that Connecticut broadleaf wrapper can completely overpower a Cuban cigar, to the point you can no longer pick out the Cuban components.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have read that the wrapper has differing degrees of influence on the flavor/aromas of cigars, from 20% to 60% .
This seems to be true of all countries of origin, types of tobacco, and curing processes.
I have never read anything that describes why this is so.
I know from my home rolling that Connecticut broadleaf wrapper can completely overpower a Cuban cigar, to the point you can no longer pick out the Cuban components.
Speaking of custom rolls ... u ever try Ravi's? Curious to find out if they're worth the tag or not.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've often read that the wrapper leaf on a cigar has a dominant influence on the overall flavor. I always wondered why. If we look at a typical 48-50 rg cigar there is typically one leaf of a stronger flavor in the center of the bunch. This is surrounded by 2 or 3 of other types of leaves. It is then wrapped in 1 or 2 binder leaves and finally one wrapper leaf on the exterior. The wrapper leaf makes up, at best, only 1/5 of the tobacco. So why would that one leaf, which is not the strongest flavored leaf, have such a large impact on the overall cigar experience? Does it have to do with the fact that as it burns it has easier access to oxygen and that somehow impacts its contribution to the cigar experience? Does anyone have a answer or maybe a theory?
I believe that you are correct, I read something somewhere, sometime back... (old fartitus disorder makes me forget) There is a scientific reason why this is so, and basically it has to do with burning, oxygen, outside wrapper, etc... but yeah, that's what I understand to be true.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The wrapper does no more for the profile than changing the seco, viso, ligero, binder, or filler ratios. It's a piece of the profile and nothing more or less. I would expect a different wrapper to create different flavors and nuances, it's a different equation with its own results.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I've read that the wrapper leaves are the most flavorful variety of leaf.
The wrapper is typically the same as fillers... butttttt it's much much prettier!

Aka you can buy different grades of tobacco. The pretty stuff becomes wrapper. Less ideal is binder. And so on for filler. It can be any priming too

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hmmm. The plot thickens. You mean that there aren't specific strains of leaf grown for wrapper?
Sort of. Connecticut shade is grown for wrapper AFAIK. But, with any plant not all the leaves are going to end up being in good enough shape to use as wrapper. The better stuff gets used as binder and the rest for filler.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Sort of. Connecticut shade is grown for wrapper AFAIK. But, with any plant not all the leaves are going to end up being in good enough shape to use as wrapper. The better stuff gets used as binder and the rest for filler.
This right here. Any shade grown tobacco is trying to net as much wrapper as possible (indirect light provides a single color over the whole leaf which is desirable because it's... well prettier) since that is where the money is.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Bruce, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars" states: "The lighter a wrapper, the milder the taste. A lighter color wrapper will contribute less to the overall flavor of a cigar than a dark wrapper. A wrapper is a cigars single most important visual element. However color does not necessarily indicate the kind of tobacco leaf used, and it certainly doesn't indicate whether the cigar is mild or full-bodied."
Chapter 5 page 61 States:
Most cigars with maduro or natural wrappers will be labeled as such. These days, cigar manufacturers tend to be pretty specific about describing the wrapper you're getting. They'll give you all sorts of hyperbole about the wrapper making a huge difference in how robust the cigar is. Don't you believe it.
This is where you get to be the expert, and make your own decision regarding the type of wrapper and its color. Read on, and you'll see exactly how the wrapper affects the taste of your cigar. It's not as much as the cigar merchants would have you believe.

Hope this helps shed some light.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You can always experiment with your cigars by taking the wrapper off one to see what the results are....;)

I've found, while rolling, some wrappers have a bigger influence than others. The lighter more delicate wrappers are less influential in my opinion than darker (ligero or sun grown versions). Even the broadleaf wrappers added more pepper than I expected.
All this but I don't know why it is this way, it just is.