What's new

Why use distilled water

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So we all know that we should use distilled water. When we need to condition a humidor we put in a tray of "distilled" water. I also only use distilled water, but every time I use it I wonder why. I understand that there are minerals in non-distilled water but I would think that they would stay behind as the water evaporates into water vapor in the air. I would avoid putting tap water into a fancy humidification system but other than that ????? Can someone explain a good reason for using distilled water?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've smoked cigars from shops that use tap water in their active humidification systems. The "metallic, off" tastes of the minerals is obvious.

Chlorine and ozone will evaporate out pretty quickly and not remain as a residual in the bottom of the dish.

I also understand that the life (re-cycle-ability) of your Bovedas will be dramatically affected if not using distilled water.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Distilled won't leave anything behind. The minerals, chemicals, etc in other waters can impart their flavors and scents, as well as introducing spores or other elements that promote mold.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The minerals may promote mold growth by being a nutrient. I wouldn't leave a bowl of either inside when cigars are in the humi. Just air flow would cause bits of tobacco get in it and start mold and mildew. That's why having media in place is important and helps prevent the condition also.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
This is a good question. I have always used distilled water because that’s what the “experts” said that I should do so that’s what I’ve always done.

Is it really necessary though? Why would regular tap water be more likely to cause mold than distilled water? The water at my house has lime and calcium in it but why would that cause mold? Maybe if I used water from a puddle in front of my house or from a swamp somewhere I might be worried about mold but I think my tap water is pretty safe. I run it through a reverse osmosis filter and then drink it every day without any adverse affects. I certainly wouldn’t drink it if I thought it was going to be harmful.

That being said, distilled water is less than $1 a gallon so whether it’s really necessary or not, I’ll probably continue to use it. Why take a chance?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can probably use your tap water instead of distilled if you run it through a reverse osmosis filter. That's what most of the reputable shops do down here.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is distilled water made?

You boil water that makes steam or water vapor. The water vapor is cooled and it condenses back into liquid water and placed in sanitized containers.

What is left behind are minerals and metals that had been dissolved in the original water. Also, the original water can have bad things in it like bacteria, fungus, other microbes and, perhaps, parasites (depending upon the source of the water).

Distilled water is also known as purified water. In lab work, water may be distilled multiple times to make sure it is truely purified water.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

You boil water that makes steam or water vapor. The water vapor is cooled and it condenses back into liquid water and placed in sanitized containers.

What is left behind are minerals and metals that had been dissolved in the original water. Also, the original water can have bad things in it like bacteria, fungus, other microbes and, perhaps, parasites (depending upon the source of the water).

Distilled water is also known as purified water. In lab work, water may be distilled multiple times to make sure it is truely purified water.

About 88 Cents a Gallon at Wally-World so I buy mine.:shame:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I user RO water. I would think the biggest issue with tap water for seasoning or rehydrating bovedas is the gases dissolved, like chlorine, which RO should take out. I don't think the minerals will go into the air with the water vapour. I also use RO on my KL. I certainly wouldn't use tap water for KL or beads regardless, and it is to big a PITA to let water stand for a day or so to off gas just to rehydrate a boveda. If I didn't have RO, I'd use DW since it is pretty cheap and if I can't afford DW, I can't afford to smoke. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the minerals will go into the air with the water vapour.
The dissolved minerals, metals and other solids will not discharge into the air from evaporation unless it has a boiling point the same or lower than your ambient temp. All that stuff is left behind and, if you use any kind of media, will usually cling to the media and dry as a solid. Making the media less effective over time.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0

I think your answer actually points out the central issue of the OP’s question. DW is just condensed water vapor, and we’re humidifying by water vapor, so do we need to start with DW? I assume they just started with plain water to boil to make DW, so why can’t we? I understand not using tap water to charge beads or gel because that leaves impurities behind, but is DW actually necessary to say charge bovedas, or to sit in an open container to evaporate and season a humidor? Probably not. I do use DW to charge my bovedas. I do it because I’ve always been told to, and it’s cheap enough to not take a chance if I’m wrong. Every time though, I’m like “Why?”

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Chlorine and florine are common in many water systems and they outgas at room temp if not under pressure. Yes if you get a 90 percent humidity day you can recharge bovedas by setting them out exposed to the ambient humidity but most of us speed the process by dampening the boveda packs with distilled water

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Chlorine and florine are common in many water systems and they outgas at room temp if not under pressure. Yes if you get a 90 percent humidity day you can recharge bovedas by setting them out exposed to the ambient humidity but most of us speed the process by dampening the boveda packs with distilled water
I don’t apply water directly to the bovedas. I’d be concerned with water compromising the paper. I recharge mine in a sealed Tupperware container suspended above a reservoir of distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I don’t apply water directly to the bovedas. I’d be concerned with water compromising the paper. I recharge mine in a sealed Tupperware container suspended above a reservoir of distilled water.

I stir some power sanitizer I use for brewing and sanitize that container and grid every few months. One time I got mold over a bunch of tiny bovedas, that was no fun throwing them out QQ

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

That looks very cool, may I ask what is the White Waffel thing in the container I see in the photo above?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I stir some power sanitizer I use for brewing and sanitize that container and grid every few months. One time I got mold over a bunch of tiny bovedas, that was no fun throwing them out QQ
Yuck! Since I’ve switched to wineadors, I don’t need to recharge often, so I empty it after each use.