What's new

Why would a retailer do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
When we are trying to exempt cigars from FDA control, and one of our arguments is that they are not marketed to children, why do this?

http://www.2guyscigars.com/brand/Hand-Rolled-Cigars/

or this

http://www.2guyscigars.com/brand/Smokin'-Cigar-Bars/

I know logic dictates these are not being marketed to minors as they are sold in a store where minors are not allowed. However, why give any excuse when the stakes are high as they are now? Can you imagine what this will look like to a third party who may have to vote on decision that will affect our right to buy cigars?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i think they have the first ammendment right to display and market their product any way they please. which is a shame, because free speech by nature HAS to protect even stupid speech, otherwise it isn't free. this might have been someone's idea of humor, but as a smoker in this day and age it scares me, and i'm kinda offended by it. i don't even HAVE kids, but i would hate to have to explain this to my neices and nephews, y'know?

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
thats so pointless makes me wonder why they do this knowing we are under fire

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Wow. Remember candy cigarettes. Even my Dad a three pack a day smoker thought those we of poor taste. Now these guys do the opposite with candy looking cigars. Dumb

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
David Garofalo has done a lot for the industry, he supports CRA, sits on IPCPR and the TAA boards. You'd think he'd think better and let the money go on this one.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Wow. Remember candy cigarettes. Even my Dad a three pack a day smoker thought those we of poor taste. Now these guys do the opposite with candy looking cigars. Dumb
Candy cigarettes were and still are one of the biggest arrows in the FDA quiver, and rightfully so.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i think they have the first ammendment right to display and market their product any way they please. which is a shame, because free speech by nature HAS to protect even stupid speech, otherwise it isn't free. this might have been someone's idea of humor, but as a smoker in this day and age it scares me, and i'm kinda offended by it. i don't even HAVE kids, but i would hate to have to explain this to my neices and nephews, y'know?
There are some people who disagree with you
http://cigarfederation.com/profiles/blogs/cuba-fights-australia-s-plain-packaging-act
Its only a matter of time before the FDA follows suit brothers

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
http://cigarfederation.com/profiles/blogs/cuba-fights-australia-s-plain-packaging-act
oh, i know, there are a lot of people who think giving up or rescinding liberties for safety is a good course of action. an unfortunate number of them, in fact.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
oh, i know, there are a lot of people who think giving up or rescinding liberties for safety is a good course of action. an unfortunate number of them, in fact.
Unfortunately, and this is the point I was trying to make in the other thread. Why give them any excuses to follow through with something like this?

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I Love this B&M and I completely agree with thread, This was my go to shop in New England, but why make these products? I've always assumed they were a novelty, because I've never seen anyone buy any and the manager even said they were dog rockets. Maybe its just NH and they have more relaxed smoking regulations, but it is fuel on the fire for the FDA, and will affect everyone, thanks for posting this I never saw a clear example of ignorance until now, it has really opened my eyes .

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great guys for sure, cant say I like what I'm seeing with this product though. The worst part is that this is not the only product that has come out recently that is a problem given how we are trying to separate ourselves from cigarettes and underage sales.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Great guys for sure, cant say I like what I'm seeing with this product though. The worst part is that this is not the only product that has come out recently that is a problem given how we are trying to separate ourselves from cigarettes and underage sales.

Yeah, Alec Bradley put out a candy bar cigar that looked like the Wanka bars. I think it's an event only thing, but still.

Great job on the Oktoberfest BTW, Dread.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
They may have the right to make them, however we have the right to speak our piece against what they are doing and inform them we will spread the word against supporting their shop until that sort of packaging is discontinued. my .02

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
It really saddens me to think how may people were involved in this product to make it come to market and not one of them stopped to think that "maybe this isn't the best thing for the cigar industry and our loyal consumers" Especially considering how hard the FDA is trying to crack down on cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.