What's new

Wife/GF VS. Smoking

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Question for all the brothers, How do you guys deal with a wife of girlfriend who is totally against the idea of smoking anything period?

I gave up cigs several weeks ago, I'm glad I did too. But some of it was due to the nagging of my girlfriend. Fine It was to expensive and I didn't enjoy it anymore.

However now she has moved onto the cigars and pipe. She naggs on me quite a bit on why I do it, and then promptly reminds me of what it does to my health and to my teeth and all the other happy bullshit.

She fails to understand that I'm not smoking pipes and cigars like I did cigerettes. I smoke maybe a couple of pipes and cigars a week. Even after hanging up cigars for a few months she still naggs about smoking.

How do you guys deal with these issues at home?

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Well my wife does hate it when I smoke and would be very happy if I quit as well. however she does not nag me about it. I do not have the time for one or more a day so I go under the radar so to speak. My bigger smoking times are holidays when all the men are smoking or big cookouts. I al so get to smoke when I am on the road so she does not see or smell thoes times. I whish you luck in dealing with her.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
my wife doesn't bother with it unless the financial aspect enters into it.
there are a heck of a lot worse things you could be doing. the health part of the issue is minimal at best, especially at the rate you're using. it seems like in the long run they try to change the things you do, and when you change them, they move onto something else they want changed. it's a never ending battle if you don't draw a line in the sand somewhere!:boxing:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I do my best to keep it in MY time opposed to times when she is around. I now enjoy a bit of traffic on the ride home. I always get a sidways look when I'm loading up the 5 stick caddy for a night out. She has come to accept the fact that I smoke cigars and will accomadate it as long as i'm not obsessive. I have Wednesday nights while she is at school all to myself, so that's a 2 stick night for sure.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I refuse to give up my cigars and pipe. They were there before we met and she knew what she was getting into.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
If it was my gf I'd dump her. Then again I always tell mine right away that Im not willing to give it up and if its a problem they should run. If it was my wife the Id probably find something that she does and nag her about it and tell her she had to give it up, somethng like shoes or purses or maybe even eating anything but diet food. You know something to get them off your back. But hey maybe thats why Im not married.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I do my best to keep it in MY time opposed to times when she is around. I now enjoy a bit of traffic on the ride home. I always get a sidways look when I'm loading up the 5 stick caddy for a night out. She has come to accept the fact that I smoke cigars and will accomadate it as long as i'm not obsessive. I have Wednesday nights while she is at school all to myself, so that's a 2 stick night for sure.
I do the same thing, when she is at work, or at school. I still the the whole Bitching at me over the smells, the time wates on it the money spent on it. The BOTL forum reading and everything all together.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Get her some flowers and put this poem in a card with them, hopefully she gets the hint.....

The Betrothed

by Rudyard Kipling

Open the old cigar-box, get me a Cuba stout,
For things are running crossways, and Maggie and I are out.
We quarrelled about Havanas - we fought o'er a good cheroot,
And I knew she is exacting, and she says I am a brute.

Open the old cigar-box - let me consider a space;
In the soft blue veil of the vapour musing on Maggie's face.

Maggie is pretty to look at - Maggie's a loving lass,
But the prettiest cheeks must wrinkle, the truest of loves must pass.

There's peace in a Larranaga, there's calm in a Henry Clay;
But the best cigar in an hour is finished and thrown away -

Thrown away for another as perfect and ripe and brown -
But I could not throw away Maggie for fear o' the talk o' the town!

Maggie, my wife at fifty - grey and dour and old -
With never another Maggie to purchase for love or gold!

And the light of Days that have Been the dark of the Days that Are,
And Love's torch stinking and stale, like the butt of a dead cigar -

The butt of a dead cigar you are bound to keep in your pocket -
With never a new one to light tho' it's charred and black to the socket!

Open the old cigar-box - let me consider a while.
Here is a mild Manila - there is a wifely smile.

Which is the better portion - bondage bought with a ring,
Or a harem of dusky beauties, fifty tied in a string?

Counsellors cunning and silent - comforters true and tried,
And never a one of the fifty to sneer at a rival bride?

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close,

This will the fifty give me, asking nought in return,
With only a Suttee's passion - to do their duty and burn.

This will the fifty give me. When they are spent and dead,
Five times other fifties shall be my servants instead.

The furrows of far-off Java, the isles of the Spanish Main,
When they hear my harem is empty will send me my brides again.

I will take no heed to their raiment, nor food for their mouths withal,
So long as the gulls are nesting, so long as the showers fall.

I will scent 'em with best vanilla, with tea will I temper their hides,
And the Moor and the Mormon shall envy who read of the tale of my brides.

For Maggie has written a letter to give me my choice between
The wee little whimpering Love and the great god Nick o' Teen.

And I have been servant of Love for barely a twelvemonth clear,
But I have been Priest of Cabanas a matter of seven year;

And the gloom of my bachelor days is flecked with the cheery light
Of stumps that I burned to Friendship and Pleasure and Work and Fight.

And I turn my eyes to the future that Maggie and I must prove,
But the only light on the marshes is the Will-o'-the-Wisp of Love.

Will it see me safe through my journey or leave me bogged in the mire?
Since a puff of tobacco can cloud it, shall I follow the fitful fire?

Open the old cigar-box - let me consider anew -
Old friends, and who is Maggie that I should abandon you?

A million surplus Maggies are willing to bear the yoke;
And a woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke.

Light me another Cuba - I hold to my first-sworn vows.
If Maggie will have no rival, I'll have no Maggie for Spouse!

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Easy solution, get her to smoke with you. Start nagging her about smoking with you. Tell her you feel it could be a bonding moment, if she were to take interest in one of your hobbies.

I am lucky my gal smokes stogies with me. She doesnt get the same enjoyment out of it, but she'll take a few puffs.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Easy solution, get her to smoke with you. Start nagging her about smoking with you. Tell her you feel it could be a bonding moment, if she were to take interest in one of your hobbies.

I am lucky my gal smokes stogies with me. She doesnt get the same enjoyment out of it, but she'll take a few puffs.
Sounds like the best idea to me. I generally smoke when I'm walking the dog, but every month or so my wife will have a smoke with me. Lately, she's the one that thinks of it. And sometimes smoking together leads to more. :wink:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My girlfriend is a Nurse, and has never smoked a day in her life. Nothing not ever, Exept she thinks its ok to smoke Weed! Go figure! So to her smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body, well after drugs. So getting her to smoke with me is out of the question. Although I wish she would that would be awesome.

I guess that is why I call her my smoking NAZI!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Donk:

After a long, miserable marriage and a couple of subsequent girlfriends, I learned a valuable lesson that you need to impart to your current g/f. There are no rules that apply to every relationship out there. For every supposed rule you can cite (don't cheat on your spouse), I can find you a couple who thinks the rule is stupid (hey, honey, how about a threesome tonight?) Fact is, whether you SHOULD smoke cigars and pipes is not the issue. The point is that you DO. The issue, then, is whether she is willing to tolerate your smoking, without nagging about it. Either she is or she isn't. If she is, great. If she isn't, then she needs to find a guy who meets her criteria, cause it ain't you.

Women marry men hoping they will change, and they never do; men marry women, hoping they won't change, and they always do.

Before I got re-married, my wife and I sat down to go over our mutual expectations. Me: I officiate basketball, so I'll be gone a good bit in the winter months. Her: Great, I like time alone. Me: I smoke cigars, and I'm not going to quit. Her: I love the smell of a good cigar. Please just smoke outside until we get your mancave finished.

Young people think it's enough to just be in love. Those of us who have been there know that it takes a lot more than that.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
If she hates smoking there is really no real answer. Live with it or decide your priorities. My wife accepts it, accepts my purchases and my time with the guys. I know she doent like it but finds it far superior to my scotch years.

cigarguy71

BIG JIM
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
My wife don't care but if i go to the lounge i have to hit the shower before bed. But that is really my only vise i don't smoke cigarettes are drink alcohol of any kind.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
My girlfriend is a Nurse, and has never smoked a day in her life. Nothing not ever, Exept she thinks its ok to smoke Weed! Go figure! So to her smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body, well after drugs. So getting her to smoke with me is out of the question. Although I wish she would that would be awesome.

I guess that is why I call her my smoking NAZI!

Sounds like keeper!!!!