What's new

Wifi antennas

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Since we're restless souls with itchy palms thought I'd put this out here.. I live an area with extremely high winds so my landline never works as a result I'm deprived of DSL or Cable internet at home and have to opt for wifi options. The biggest problem I have is signal strength, its always on the lower end and most of the time I don't get any thinking of trying out an external antenna to see if it improves the situation so the question has anyone here ever built one? I'd get one specifically designed for the purpose but given the high winds it probably won't last for more than a few days so looking for a tin can or old dish tv kinda solution.

What tools/parts will I need and what sort of build saviness do I require? or should I just say screw it and get one from the market and hop for the best?

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
1 WATT is the max allowed by FCC regs here in the US (although I believe Ham Radio operators can get around that). Since your not in the US I suspect there is stronger hardware available.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
25W will give you cancer. Like, not even kidding man HAHA : D
talk'n sterility and tumor risks going up after even a year of exposure to that kinda energy!

...try use a directional antenna. If you're just going point-to-point rather than trying to cover an area.
Keep in mind that as the radio waves spread out, they exponentially lose power. 1m out is an 8x loss in power.

By focusing all your power in a single direction your power drop is far less. You could potentially cross several Kilometers with a 5W directional antenna. That web-page I sent ya has a few directional antennas, you could build a wi-max shot from your internet source (cable hub or satellite dish) to a second directional antenna receiver at the place your trying to get internet. This is how my internet is set-up. Wi-max relay from work to my room about 1Km away (with a 1W amp and two directional antennas). The receiver in my room is then hooked into a router and I put my CAT5 cable into that.